"Less than lethal" for home defense?

Roach

error operator
Staff member

Later this year, you will be able to buy rubber bullets for home defense. Lightfield has been selling these projectiles to law enforcement agencies and wildlife officials for years. Each round is filled with a soft projectile that resembles a koosh ball. They look like toys, because they’re made by a Chinese toy factory. The best thing about them is that they aren’t likely to kill someone even if they are fired at point blank range. They’re so soft that they’re almost incapable of penetrating the body.

Read More http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/201...sh-bullets-and-triple-tasers/6/#ixzz0e7DdMbPB

wrenchjunkie

I would rather not be known by repeat offenders after they spend their six months in jail as the guy that shoots rubber bullets that only sting real bad.

Gizmatical Fuquad

Premium Member
Intruders into my home will not be afforded the opportunity to do it again. I'll stick with the high velocity lead poisoning option.

thedevl

Those might be good for playing fetch with a cat. If some one is in my house they will not be leaving alive to sue me for putting their eye out with a koosh ball.

Travman

I'm with Devl---My concern would be the "offender" filing a law suit against me. laugh or shrug it off if you want to but this is the world we live in. -- He breaks into my house. I shoot him with a koosh ball (lol) he gets a bruise on his chest and sues me because he now has chest pains and is having trouble breathing, and needs "rehabilitation" (not really hes just trying to turn the tables) and he wins! Welcome to America.

I say no!

obviously my little story isnt what will happen every time to every one but your nieve if you think it could never happen. theres cases like described above that happen all the time. and the "bad guy" does win some of them. I say dont give them a chance.

Fyresq

I load my first round with rubber purely for my own and family/friends safety. If I spend a night out with my buddies and come home in a drunken stupor and my wife shoots me, I won't be dead. The same scenario could be said for a buddy who got tossed out and comes over at two in the morning to crash on the couch but lacks the forthought in his drunken stupor to be able to identify himself or call you first. Kids (don't have any yet) get ahold of the gun and it accidentally goes off. Just too many "accident" scenarios that could happen. It gives a little "whoops" factor.

The next 8 rounds are for real!

I think it would be much easier to defend yourself by saying "my first shot was less than lethal and should have been plenty of warning, when he still kept coming, the next round was for my families and my life"

Better than the family of the dead coming after you for everything you own because upstanding citizen johnny robber left behind 6 kids and a wife and he was just down on luck and trying to provide for his family and wasn't going to hurt anyone and now no one is there to feed his family, etc, etc.

Xantasm

My Father was a Deputy Sheriff in Texas for a number of years and I have always followed his advice, and that is that it's better to kill them than get sued for maiming them. He also said if they fall outside the door, pick them up and push them inside before the police get there lol. I also have a AAS degree in Administration of Justice and hope to work beyond my Psych Major to get a law degree and as far as I know from my studies the Castle Law in Nevada gives you the legal right to defend yourself without the neccesity of retreat, but it does not provide any legal framework to protect against frivoluous lawsuits by injured attackers or assailants as shown in the example below of a Doctor in Janesville Milwaukee who had a lawsuit filed against him by his attacker serving time in Prison.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1711925/posts

Roach

error operator
Staff member
I load my first round with rubber purely for my own and family/friends safety. If I spend a night out with my buddies and come home in a drunken stupor and my wife shoots me, I won't be dead.
Awesome. :D

MotoMatt

My Father was a Deputy Sheriff in Texas for a number of years and I have always followed his advice, and that is that it's better to kill them than get sued for maiming them. He also said if they fall outside the door, pick them up and push them inside before the police get there lol. I also have a AAS degree in Administration of Justice and hope to work beyond my Psych Major to get a law degree and as far as I know from my studies the Castle Law in Nevada gives you the legal right to defend yourself without the neccesity of retreat, but it does not provide any legal framework to protect against frivoluous lawsuits by injured attackers or assailants as shown in the example below of a Doctor in Janesville Milwaukee who had a lawsuit filed against him by his attacker serving time in Prison.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1711925/posts
correct me if i am wrong but castle law covers your entire premises, not just inside your house?

PhantomRage

thats what I was thinking... Get some satfey glasses on, and let play! Well now that we know who makes the little soft toys. We ca load up our own rounds a little lighter and really play. Kinda like one pump BB gun wars...

Xantasm

correct me if i am wrong but castle law covers your entire premises, not just inside your house?
Castle laws vary from state to state but there is a big effort on to standardize the castle laws so that they actually provide legal wording to protect your right not to have to retreat before use of deadly force is lawfull when threatened with serious injury or death in any place you have a legal right to be. Yes the castle laws generally include your home including the property it is located on, your vehicle and to and from any building or residence you have a legal right to be near but as I said each state is different. http://www.protectedbythecastlelaw.com/

The laws in many states used to say that deadly force was not lawfull unless a victim first tried to retreat or withdraw from an attacker so as to allow the attacker time to flee rather than engage in deadly force. Obviously this was a monumentally stupid idea emplaced by dumb **** commie pinko liberals who think that we should all just get along and that words alone can prevent your being attacked and murdered in your own home. Rubber bullets are for training excersizes, not for stopping someone who has entered into your home with the intent of robbing and possibly killing you and your family. Less than lethal is what you use on inmates and in riot situations, which is what they were dsigned for so that the goverment would not be percieved as murders and conducting masacres of innocent people protesting or demonstrating.

MotoMatt

Castle laws vary from state to state but there is a big effort on to standardize the castle laws so that they actually provide legal wording to protect your right not to have to retreat before use of deadly force is lawfull when threatened with serious injury or death in any place you have a legal right to be. Yes the castle laws generally include your home including the property it is located on, your vehicle and to and from any building or residence you have a legal right to be near but as I said each state is different. http://www.protectedbythecastlelaw.com/

The laws in many states used to say that deadly force was not lawfull unless a victim first tried to retreat or withdraw from an attacker so as to allow the attacker time to flee rather than engage in deadly force. Obviously this was a monumentally stupid idea emplaced by dumb **** commie pinko liberals who think that we should all just get along and that words alone can prevent your being attacked and murdered in your own home. Rubber bullets are for training excersizes, not for stopping someone who has entered into your home with the intent of robbing and possibly killing you and your family. Less than lethal is what you use on inmates and in riot situations, which is what they were dsigned for so that the goverment would not be percieved as murders and conducting masacres of innocent people protesting or demonstrating.
well, regardless of the BS wording. if someone came into our house the only way out for them would be a stretcher

robinsonre

I already have a "less lethal" tool, it's called a dead-bolt. Once they get past that I'm not worried about their safety or chances of survival. I don't want to kill anyone, but whether or not they survive is between them, God and the medical community.

Gizmatical Fuquad

Premium Member
I already have a "less lethal" tool, it's called a dead-bolt. Once they get past that I'm not worried about their safety or chances of survival. I don't want to kill anyone, but whether or not they survive is between them, God and the medical community.
Very well put, and I concur 100%. If you enter my property uninvited, you will leave in the coroner's wagon.