Lets talk about Steering Stabilizers

kairo

Staff member
If you were to buy one (for an XJ) which one would you choose? and where would you buy it from?

Connect

Good question :)

And wit a 4.5" lift with 31x10.5s do I need to upgrade to a bigger one, say skyjacker oem replacement for like $40

kairo

Staff member
Denis said:
Currie full system

from RenoRock4x4.com

first off, I think you mean redrock4x4.com :)

That whole currie steering system would be sweet, however i'm about $350 short of the $400 lol. So it's going to have to be a stabalizer for a while

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
kairo said:
first off, I think you mean redrock4x4.com :)

That whole currie steering system would be sweet, however i'm about $350 short of the $400 lol. So it's going to have to be a stabalizer for a while

yeah, whatever, i can't read this morning, who cares..... :crazy:

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
velvetant said:
RenoRock4x4.com

So are you starting a new club on the side :) :)

Yeah, but I will call it RedReno4x4 instead.

Back on topic: I liked how the Old Man Emu stiffened up my steering feel on old YJ. On TJ, I will try to run without one, till I dial in the steering/alignment, then I might throw a cheap shock on for good measure.

Styx

My steering has been getting sloppy, so i'm going to have to do something soon too. I replaced my stab. with a Rancho, but it was a couple years ago. Of course I need new bushings on the entire front end also.

olsen_karl

Lots of people like the Monroe $28 special (Autozone) over at the Rubicon forum. I bought that one within days of getting my TJ -- it made a definite difference in the steering feel.

The stock one on my TJ was a puny little screen-door-closing thing. The one that came on my XJ was a much more substantial looking one; I eventually replaced it with a ProComp stabilizer -- dunno what's on your XJ now, kairo...

-Karl

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
olsen_karl said:
Lots of people like the Monroe $28 special (Autozone) over at the Rubicon forum. I bought that one within days of getting my TJ -- it made a definite difference in the steering feel.

The stock one on my TJ was a puny little screen-door-closing thing. The one that came on my XJ was a much more substantial looking one; I eventually replaced it with a ProComp stabilizer -- dunno what's on your XJ now, kairo...

-Karl

procomp blew out, i put OME on there.

olsen_karl

Denis said:
procomp blew out, i put OME on there.

You didn't take them up on their lifetime warranty? :D

I've never been too impressed with Procomp shocks -- always too stiff riding. (They seem to be the same as Rancho's 5000 series: fine on full size trucks; terrible on Jeeps/ small pickups.) I figured that the $30 Procomp stabilizer would be OK, as stiff=good for a steering damper... oh well.

How'd you blow it out?

-Karl

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
olsen_karl said:
You didn't take them up on their lifetime warranty? :D

I've never been too impressed with Procomp shocks -- always too stiff riding. (They seem to be the same as Rancho's 5000 series: fine on full size trucks; terrible on Jeeps/ small pickups.) I figured that the $30 Procomp stabilizer would be OK, as stiff=good for a steering damper... oh well.

How'd you blow it out?

-Karl

It just started leaking one day. I think it was hiding the beginnings of the Death Wobble, as I got that about the same time, caused be steep controls arm angles. Going with CA drop brackets fized that.

EricsXJ

I have an OME stabilizer. I got it because its a pretty yella color. :loser:

Its beefier than stock and other aftermarket stabilizers but I don't think I really needed anything special. The rock guard that covers the rod interferes with one of my bolts in the Currie bracket. I noticed Nick had a different bracket, a little taller, that didn't have this problem. So Denis... where did you get that bracket?

Any stabilizer should be fine so long as its not leaking or bent... In reality, if you have good steering you could run without a stabilizer all together (did someone already mention that?). The common misconception is if you have Death Wobble the steering stabilizer is to blame and most people replace it and think it cured their DW, when in fact it just masks it like Denis pointed out. If you have DW, it is a worn part in the steering, track bar, control arm bushings, ball joints, wheels out of balance, or an alignment problem (not enough caster), or a combination of these things.

Connect

whats this death wobble deal, my xj's steering seems kinda sloppy and tracks anything it hits. Just aligned a few months ago.

Scrub

yuccaman.com said:
If you're asking what "Death Wobble" or DW is all about, it is a situation where the front axle begins oscillating with such violence that control of the Jeep is difficult until slowed down, and the entire vehicle shakes to the point you feel it will come apart. Although I have heard much discussion, DW apparently isn't caused by any one factor, but may happen if any of the following are present (not necessarily in this order, either)

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/dw.htm <- go there for more info on it.

-Matt-

EricsXJ

Death Wobble (DW) is not a slight shimmy, its not a vibration. It is a extreme shaking that is usually set off when you hit a bump at high speeds. I've never had it myself but I have followed behind someone that had it. They say the steering wheel will nearly be ripped out of your hands and you will think you are about to die, hense the name "death wobble". You have to slow down, sometimes to a stop to get the shaking to stop.

Scrub

yea eaxctly what eric said, ive had it happen 3 times to me, and all three times everything in my jeep was thrown all the way forward and the steering wheel shakes so violently that both of my hands hurt after i got it stopped :( its not something to take lightly

-Matt-

Styx

Where's your sense of adventure? Death Wobble is like a free Bronco ride! My little wife refused to drive after her first experiance though. :rolleyes:

kairo

Staff member
I got a Rancho RS 5000 today from Summit, so we'll have to see how that works. Btw, there's a hottie who works there with a rubicon on 37s!

Sauce

kairo said:
I got a Rancho RS 5000 today from Summit, so we'll have to see how that works. Btw, there's a hottie who works there with a rubicon on 37s!
yup, I think that is Mike Schaffers GF :disagree: