Looking to buy a handgun, info please....

NevadaXJ

Before I buy I would like to have a chance to fire several different guns. Is there somewhere local like a range that will rent out pistols so you can fire a few rounds through them? Or is there a good shop you can reccomend.

My co-worker picked up a Bersa .380 the other day, and gave me a chance to handle it. It felt very nice in my hands, and seems like a decent starter concealed carry weapon. I also know of someone selling a Ruger .45, although I am not sure i want to go that big so quickly....

Any input?

Scrub

If you go by the sprotsman warehouse (moana and the freeway) and ask for the business card of the guy that does the CCW certifications, he has all of the weapons and im sure that for a small fee or something he would let you fire some. nice guy, i cant find the business card for him right now or i would just give you the info :(

Scrub

Connect said:
Glock, 9mm :) Basic, functional, cool, cheap(fairly) only shot one myself but gotta love the 9mm

Glocks are not cheap by any means, unless maybe buying one used, but i cant even find a good price on the Glock 19 that i want :( but hey it is cheaper than the AR-15 i was looking at :yup:

kairo

Staff member
Connect said:
Glock, 9mm :) Basic, functional, cool, cheap(fairly) only shot one myself but gotta love the 9mm

G19. Awesome handgun. Glocks are pretty expensive, but they are extremely reliable and will fire under almost any conditon. They're also exceptionally accurate for a compact handgun (the g19 is not compact) The only thing I don't like about them is the safety. And the barrel looks weird with the action pulled back. when I turn 21 I'm either going to get a g19 or g16 compact. Alot of glocks have a burst and full auto selector too, which is cool but not very practical. Get a 100 round mag and go through it in 2 seconds on full auto :D

Scrub

lol just have fun loading up that 100 Round Clip by hand :crazy: But yea the safety is a little odd but i still love the glocks, really like the way that the G19 fires and feels in my hand but i also do like the g16 (but only fired one once) now that im 21 im gonna go get my CCW so that i dont have to pay each and every time that i wanna buy a gun plus then i can carry it with me all the time :woot2:

DBXJ

me i would take the .45 nice stoping power and pretty simple and easy to maintain and a great side arm
or u can do like my dad and carry a magnum

KYOTA

Another 'hardball' fan here, knockdown power over projectile speed anyday especially in close quarter/combat situations. I own 3 1911's which one was my fathers sidearm when he was a paratrooper in the Army and I also own the newer version 1991A1 in a Commander. If your set on a Glock look at hte 21 in .45 ACP. 9's are cute tho :D

DBXJ

yea thats the one i have the one my grandpa had in ww2 it really nice though im still wonderin how he got it from the army mabey it was one of those many after the war MIA weapons LOL but i need to find another one since i kinda like to keep this one in a safe since it has sentimetal value
he also gave me some pearl handled revoler and a pearl handled 1911 he said they like pattons but there really a show piece

xjmoser

Glock 30 small and accurate would be my choice.

Glock 21 big and badass

My brother is a las vegas metro cop I went to the range and fired both his guns and I loved both. I would carry the G30 because of its size.

I have also fired a :
Ruger p89 Junk
Sig Sauer .40 very nice but not even close to the accuracy I had with the G30-21

I would not carry a 9mm or .40

Dont let the price of the gun decide what your getting. Get a quality weapon you can depend on it could be life and death.

Just my opinion :hyper:

kairo

Staff member
I can see why you guys would want a big gun for a concealed carry, but I woulden't bash a 9mm. People always say "oh, its just a wimpy 9mm, its like a bb gun" Trust me, if you got tagged with a 9mm, it's going to put you on your rear unless you're expecting it, and ready for it. In the type of situation you may need to use your gun, a 9mm will be more than sufficient to stop a perpetrator. Face it, you're not going to be battling with bank robbers from behind your jeep door. Chances are if you need to use your gun, you will be within ten or twenty feet of someone. And even if the first bullet doesn't put him down, you've still got like 15 more :D. Find a gun that's small, light, accurate, and reliable. Sure it would be nice to pack a desert eagle, .45 acp, or a TMP, but it might be a bit "over kill" :p

as far as the 1911s go, those are very, very cool weapons. I'd love to get my hands on a vintage WW2 one. Once again though, probably a bit too big for something I'd want to CC

Last edited:

DBXJ

well u can get .45s that are small if i if i rember correctly they have one at bizzar guns only thing is somthing smaller with a bigger barrol more kick and a big .45 has enough as it is

xjmoser

kairo said:
I can see why you guys would want a big gun for a concealed carry, but I woulden't bash a 9mm. People always say "oh, its just a wimpy 9mm, its like a bb gun" Trust me, if you got tagged with a 9mm, it's going to put you on your rear unless you're expecting it, and ready for it. In the type of situation you may need to use your gun, a 9mm will be more than sufficient to stop a perpetrator. Face it, you're not going to be battling with bank robbers from behind your jeep door. Chances are if you need to use your gun, you will be within ten or twenty feet of someone. Find a gun that's small, light, accurate, and reliable. Sure it would be nice to pack a desert eagle, .45 acp, or a TMP, but it might be a bit "over kill" :p

as far as the 1911s go, those are very, very cool weapons. I'd love to get my hands on a vintage WW2 one. Once again though, probably a bit too big for something I'd want to CC

The G30 is small and would be my choice. Some of the others mentioned would need a back pack to carry :D

Now the 9mm is sufficiant to stop most people. What bothers me is the fact that the round carries farther than the .45 So if you miss your target is still going and going ........

Scrub

xjmoser said:
The G30 is small and would be my choice. Some of the others mentioned would need a back pack to carry :D

Now the 9mm is sufficiant to stop most people. What bothers me is the fact that the round carries farther than the .45 So if you miss your target is still going and going ........

Just dont miss :eek:

j/k

I Agree about the Distance that a 9mm round will travel, but i dont know why i've just never been a big fan of .45s so i probably wouldent get one. but thats just my personal preference.

Fish Sticks

My current pea shooter is a Kimber Custom II TLE .45 ACP with a 5" barrel. It is one of the best tactical pistols hands down. Lots of the special forces, LAPD, etc. or going with the Kimbers over the glocks. I like the Kimber compacts and some of the glocks but wanted a 1911 style gun. Kimbers are around $800 but worth it. If you want to shoot it John I'll bring it out next time we hit the trail. I don't mind spending a few extra hundred on a gun that will out last me and my children.

Sauce

cutthroat said:
My current pea shooter is a Kimber Custom II TLE .45 ACP with a 5" barrel. It is one of the best tactical pistols hands down. Lots of the special forces, LAPD, etc. or going with the Kimbers over the glocks. I like the Kimber compacts and some of the glocks but wanted a 1911 style gun. Kimbers are around $800 but worth it. If you want to shoot it John I'll bring it out next time we hit the trail. I don't mind spending a few extra hundred on a gun that will out last me and my children.
Glocks are for homos and people that like 1982 technology. Go with a springfield armory XD 40, most cops are switching to these guns. They are like a glock, but cheaper and wayyy better. Best prices in town are at the sportsmans warehouse...