Lots of offroad racing this year in northern Nevada.

fernley1

Lot of racing this year in Northern Nevada.
Going to be an epic year.

May 24-25 VORRA Yerington desert race.
May 30-31 LOORRS Reno night race, Wildwest short course (Mustang exit).
June 7 LOORRS Regional series, Wildwest short course.
July 12-13 VORRA Hawthorne desert race.
July 24-26 SCORE Reno 500, USA Parkway area.
August 14-16 BITD Vegas to Reno.
August 22-23 LOORRS Reno night race, Wildwest short course.
August 30 LOORRS Regional series, wildwest short course.
August 30-31 VORRA Fallon Desert race.
September 27 LOORRS Regional series, Wildwest short course
September 28 VORRA Short course, Wildwest short course.

RelentlessTaco

Reno4x4 Vendor
Sweet. Nice to see a full schedule of off road racing!
Definitely helps the area, both for us offroaders, and the businesses that reap the benefits when people are drawn to the area. :thumbsup:

ScoobyMike

Bummer! SCORE race is cancelled:

http://score-international.com/scor...m-2014-score-world-desert-championship-slate/

RENO, Nev.—SCORE International, based in Reno, has announced the removal of the 2014 SCORE Reno 500 desert race from its SCORE World Desert Championship series for this year, citing a number of issues that could not be resolved prior to presenting the first SCORE race in Reno this coming July. SCORE, starting its 41st year in 2014, is recognized as the world’s foremost desert racing organization.
“The SCORE Reno 500 has been removed from this year’s schedule because of several mitigating circumstances that would not be able to be resolved in time to guarantee the overall quality event that is necessary for SCORE International,” commented Roger Norman, SCORE CEO and President. “We are committed to the vision of having a SCORE race in Reno in the future but we must be able to assure our racer community and sponsors that it will be of the same quality as is recognized around the world for SCORE.”

Dirty Harry

Staff member
That kinda surprised me but then again I don't know a single desert racer that likes that course.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
VORRA has been such an important part of my life for over a decade now. I want to thank all the racers, supporters, and volunteers that contributed to the success we’ve had. This is especially the case since 2008 when I took lead of the association. I owe an unmeasureable amount of gratitude to everyone involved. However, I’ve decided to suspend the 2014 season indefinitely. You may be aware that several gentlemen have stepped forward to offer their help in managing race operations in 2014. Huge thanks also should be given them for their commitment. Nonetheless, the required workload and risk is no longer appropriate in my life. If a purchaser was to come forward with the desire to acquire VORRA fully I would entertain that option. I assume a majority of the VORRAteers would choose to continue their efforts under new ownership. Otherwise, with a heavy heart I plan to permanently cease future operations.
http://www.vorra.net/index.php?opti...e&id=349:done&catid=66:latest-news&Itemid=173

Dirty Harry

Staff member
That is a major loss for local racers! So sad to hear this, but given what Wes has had to deal with and the amount of personal money he has invested I don't blame him.

jfrey123

So off road racing has always been something I like to watch when it comes on TV, but I never really took time to try and go to events and really get into it. This year I'm making an effort to watch more (kept the KOH streaming on my PC at work for a bit), and I'm enjoying what I get to see.

Can someone briefly educate me here? What's happening in the Nevada off road racing scene to cause events to get dropped? Seems like a BLM issue with VORRA, but what about that cancelled SCORE event? Nevada seems like a great place for off road racing, better than the Baja 1000 in Mexico where the locals plant booby traps to destroy trucks... (didn't someone die last year from a trap?)

Dirty Harry

Staff member
The BLM is putting most of its resources into Burning Man, which is a huge cash cow for them. VORRA has held the races on Labor Day weekend for nearly 40 years but the BLM will not support them anymore. Wes Harbor had put a ton of his own money and time into trying to get permits for races and had some awesome ones like the USA 500 and the 24 hour race outside of Fallon, but between low car counts, complaining racers, and no help from the BLM it just got to be too much. I am really bummed but I understand why Wes cancelled the season.

The SCORE race was on Roger Norman's private land where they held the Ultra4 Stampede in the past. After the last two years of desert racing there racers just were not happy. It is super silty with square rocks hiding underneath- perfect for a KOH car but not so much for desert racers. I don't think that they want to come back to race on that land. I had heard that Roger was trying to add some BLM land to the race this year and perhaps he ran into the same issues as VORRA, but that is just speculation on my part.

Kurt Caselli did pass away at the Baja 1000, but it was not a result of a booby trap as originally reported. After racing in Baja I would say that nothing else compares to it. I raced in Henderson in December and just raced in King of the Hammers trying to get that high that I felt in Baja and neither did it for me.

If you want to watch racing in person, Lucas Oil is coming to Wild West Motorsports Park twice this year for night races and that is really spectator friendly. I like to race in the desert and shoot photos but when it comes to spectating short course is really hard to beat.

jfrey123

Wow. That's a lot of shit to try and manage, and all the worse if the government wants to butt in and then not be helpful at the same time...

If you want to watch racing in person, Lucas Oil is coming to Wild West Motorsports Park twice this year for night races and that is really spectator friendly. I like to race in the desert and shoot photos but when it comes to spectating short course is really hard to beat.
Yeah, I want to dedicate time to support that track out there. Hopefully with the other events out in the desert there will be some groups headed out to a few "good spots" I can tag along with as time and a 4 month old permit.

fernley1

Total bummer that VORRA won't be around this year.
But the LOORRS races at wild west raceway, so far, are still coming to Reno.
Still waiting for info on the regional series at wild west.

ScoobyMike

CRRRAAAPPP!!!

Total bummer that VORRA won't be around this year.
But the LOORRS races at wild west raceway, so far, are still coming to Reno.
Still waiting for info on the regional series at wild west.
Is VORRA demise the reason you are selling your 9 car? Or are you building a 1 car? :)

ScoobyMike

In 2010 at an off-road race in Johnson Valley (BLM land) there was a really bad accident where a race truck plowed into a crowd of people killing 8 and injuring many more than that. There have been multiple multi-million dollar law suits and the BLM got a lot of stink on them from this incident. Here is a quote from a news article:

"Months after the accident the BLM released a critical report that found the agency did not follow its own standard procedures for permitting the event. As a result numerous changes were implemented. The amount of insurance that race organizers are required to carry was also substantially increased."

BLM has been VERY cautious since this incident, bureaucrats are by nature exceptionally risk averse. I have no inside info regarding the BLM-VORRA relationship however it would not surprise me if the root cause could be traced back to the Johnson Valley incident.

fernley1

Mike, selling my class 9 so I can get a kick ars rig like you have.
No, I was selling my 9 car becouse I am not working now.
if I dont sell it, I may race the Loorrs regional series at the wild west track, if they are like other regional series, they have a desert buggy class.
I did add a couple of things to make my car better for short course.

fernley1

VORRA is back!
2 desert races and 3 short course races this year.
Fallon and Hawthorne for the desert
P.C. for the short course races.
details on RDC.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
I just saw that the Ultra4 finals are going to be at Wild West Motorsports Park in October. They signed a deal for the next three years.