Lowering underhood temperatures.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
I've got an open-style K&N filter underhood, it's right next to the engine, so it sucks pretty hot air. I will be installing a hood vent near the filter. My question is where to cut the hole. Directly above the filter, in front of the filter, behind the filter or anywhere else? I also have York right there, so it would help cool it down too. I am mostly concerned with air flow during slow speed crawling. Would an aux. fan in the vent be a good idea to push the hot air out?

kairo

Staff member
Denis said:
I've got an open-style K&N filter underhood, it's right next to the engine, so it sucks pretty hot air. I will be installing a hood vent near the filter. My question is where to cut the hole. Directly above the filter, in front of the filter, behind the filter or anywhere else? I also have York right there, so it would help cool it down too. I am mostly concerned with air flow during slow speed crawling. Would an aux. fan in the vent be a good idea to push the hot air out?

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. . .putting two fans pushing hot air out of the vents. If you are concerned about slow speed temps, I would put the vent directly above the K&N filter. The filter may draw from that air if it's cooler than the air being pushed at it by the fan. If you aren't worried about what air the filter picks up, then I would put the vent over where the hottest part of the engine is, relative to the location of the filter and the York.

MR.ROCKAPE

Instead of cutting your hood why dont you put the air filter outside of the engine compartment like the import guys do?Or run some kind of hose to blow outside air to the filter.But at low speed an aux fan might not make a difference.

Fish Sticks

I've got the cone too, its located as far away from the header as possible. I thought about a hood scoop above the cone. My concerns, the scoop will be a heat sink (rise) at trail speeds probably raising temps at the intake and scoops suck water easily (from above and below). I've cut the weather stripping at the back of hood for the ghetto cowl induction effect that lets hot air rise to the highest point and exit the bay away from the intake. Next I'm going with the uber cool 2" hole saw holes above the radiator for the intake/drain.
Hole saw = $2
Gettin Ghetto = priceless

PizzaJeep

denis have you ever seen my air induction? im not sure how well or not well it works for sucking as much cold air as possible, but it is much smaller and now i have room for my airtank which sits in the place where my huge airbox used to sit.

if i was concerned about getting air that was colder, i would probably use a safari snorkel or a like product, which would get the entrance point as far away from the engine as possible. maybe what would also be cool is finding a way to get it through the firewall and into the cabin to suck cool clean air, though its drawbacks would be fumes from the intake

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
PizzaJeep said:
denis have you ever seen my air induction? im not sure how well or not well it works for sucking as much cold air as possible, but it is much smaller and now i have room for my airtank which sits in the place where my huge airbox used to sit.

I have removed my stock air box to make room for York. I cut off the flex section and have a cone K&N sitting right about above the distributor. (Not the coolest place under the hood, but at least it's not above the exhaust manifold).

PizzaJeep said:
if i was concerned about getting air that was colder, i would probably use a safari snorkel or a like product, which would get the entrance point as far away from the engine as possible. maybe what would also be cool is finding a way to get it through the firewall and into the cabin to suck cool clean air, though its drawbacks would be fumes from the intake

snorkels are :rainbow:. we live in a desert. :rolleyes:

Samco Fab

You could cut away sections of inner fenderwell and replace them with sainless steel mesh to keep the rocks out and let the hot air out of the engine compartment.

MR.ROCKAPE

Thread Jack Is On!!!!

Hey SAMBO,Those super sambo joints are P-I-M-P!!Perfect for the my latest 3 link.Thanks Again :skull: Thread jack turned off!!!

rusty_tlc

Denis said:
I have removed my stock air box to make room for York. I cut off the flex section and have a cone K&N sitting right about above the distributor. (Not the coolest place under the hood, but at least it's not above the exhaust manifold).

snorkels are :rainbow:. we live in a desert. :rolleyes:
So why not use the idea of a snorkle without the bling snorkle mast?
Jut run some dryer flex hose to the grill. they sell PVC fittings that mate to flex hose so you could build a passable looking plenum to put the filter in.
I agree with cuthroat putting a hole above the air filter will most likely just direct all the hot air out right by the filter.