Marn's '73 Wagoneer

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Met up with a few FSJ's from the Reno area to do some shooting and light wheeling today.

Beautiful day to be out in the hills.

Down in the valley:

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Up into the hills. Nothing crazy just narrow and bumpy dirt roads.

Didnt have a very good idea of where we were so we just started headed in the direction we wanted to go.

Good day.

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
not much going on lately, just been trying to put on some miles in the dirt.

Other than that I have recently torn into my tailgate because the window was being funky. It would quit on me randomly and then start working again. I ripped it open and the 40 year old motor still works when connected to a battery, but the gears were all blown out and binding a bit. Couple that with the idiotic 40 year old wiring (power goes to tailgate, through the switch, back up to the front switch, then back down to the tailgate....) and there just isnt enough juice to cut it.

I picked up a 77 tailgate which has the later style motor and switch, and have a wiring harness en route from a fellow FSJ'er who makes a number of wiring kits. The kit he produces replaces ALL the wiring and switches, and runs the window on relays directly from battery power rather than running the load through the switches. That should be here this weekend.

I also have new side channels arriving to keep the window in place and keep it from rattling around in the tailgate, as mine were totally blown out and actually rusted in 2 (strangely enough the tailgate is 100% solid?)

Should be working better than new here in short order.

Next up is a headliner project I am in the middle of planning. Cant afford a new bow style suspended headliner installed by a shop and i don't have the skills to do it, so I'll be converting to a later style board headliner that i'll either paint or cover with fabric or vinyl. My headliner has been the ugliest and worst part of my wag for 5 years and I'm psyched to finally attack it.

Last edited:

Xantasm

Nice rig, always really liked the Wagoneer's look since I was a kid and one of my friends parents had one. I remember seeing pics of your's on Jeepforum chat thread for Vegas when I was living in Vegas before I sold mine. Decided Harley's were higher on my list out there. I moved from Reno to Vegas back in 2011. Just moved back. You should be fine wearing Rebel colors as long as you don't go the games or on campus lol. Really dig the pic of your Waggy out at Pioneer, brings back memories of the saloon. Got a few pics of my bike out there when it was surrounded by a hundred bikes or better.

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Hey thanks man.

I've pretty much retired my red hats so it's all good haha.

I do miss the pioneer saloon, but we've got plenty that are just as good up here it seems. Between Virginia City and Geona, I'm pleased.

Hoping to get the rest of my window parts today and I'm going to look into that headliner this weekend.

And sorry in advance, I know this isn't really technical build type stuff and its not a very hardcore rig or anything. Mostly just "fixing it up" type stuff at this point in time as I don't have the wherewithal to tackle any major projects.

rlmjr58

Hey thanks man.

I've pretty much retired my red hats so it's all good haha.

I do miss the pioneer saloon, but we've got plenty that are just as good up here it seems. Between Virginia City and Geona, I'm pleased.

Hoping to get the rest of my window parts today and I'm going to look into that headliner this weekend.

And sorry in advance, I know this isn't really technical build type stuff and its not a very hardcore rig or anything. Mostly just "fixing it up" type stuff at this point in time as I don't have the wherewithal to tackle any major projects.
No need for apologies. Build threads run from the mild to wild. Restoration, restomod, mild modification to radical modification. They all have a place in our hobby. I enjoy your thread as I too have always liked the FS Jeeps and wouldn't mind having one to play with. Who knows, maybe at some future point???

Keep it up and enjoy!

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Woop Woop!

The side channels are kinda funky, they are different than the 1973 ones i removed and are really tight. they make the window really stiff to move up and down, moving it by hand even required a good bit of force. But anyway...

modified tailgate switch

Fraction of an inch of clearance but its perfect!

mounted:

All done, and look, it hardly required any tools at all...ha.

check out the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzaWtqmIEaM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ1LxRWZrFQ

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
About 120 miles from home to the meeting spot....put over 300 trouble free miles on my rig on sunday.

Jeeps! unfortunately one was missing :-(

Narrow Bridge:

"Where do we go?"

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Did i mention the dust?

Nice scenery on the way out of the hills.

Wow. Very cherokee. Much Pirate.

Sunset.

The end.

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Not really any wheeling, but had a 460 mile road trip in the beast over Labor day weekend. Rolled the beast out to June Lake, CA on that Friday. Made it out there fine. On Saturday we rolled up to Virginia Lakes for some fishing, up to nearly 10,000'.

Sunday found us putting around Mammoth Lakes, up to the summit overlook again well over 9000'.

On Monday on our way home we stopped in Bodie to walk around the ghost town for a while.

It was a great trip, jeep ran flawlessly over all the passes and up all the mountains. Sadly, I have realized how badly I need new tires and really dont want to do much more highway driving until I can throw a new set on the truck, which wont be for a while.

Anyway, nearly 500 trouble free miles starting at about 4000' elevation and going up as high as 10,000'. I'd say shes runnin' pretty well.

the town of june lake:

Minaret Summit in Mammoth Lakes...it was SUPER smokey from all the fires. Getting my jeep to Mammoth Lakes has been a goal ever since i owned it. I never thought it would happen because we lived in Vegas and would have to cross over a number of pretty high and twisty passes. I was so psyched to achieve the goal of getting it there with my wife.

One of the lakes outside the town of Mammoth

Few random pics:

Sadly, this is what my tires are looking like all around. and this particular one is wearing oddly because of a balance issue.

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Thanks!

And unfortunately, I decided to be a responsible adult and ordered a set of 265/75r16 kumho AT's for my pickemup truck because the rear tires are nearly bald, and one of the front tires is the original spare that came with the truck in 2004. Sigh. It made sense to buy tires for m "real" vehicle and not the jeep.

That means I REALLY cant be spending money on jeep tires until maybe the spring. So I'll be keeping it mostly local this winter and wont be doing much highway or long distance driving.

And the Nova needs tires too....all 4 vehicles need new shoes this year.

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
So nothing new on the wag but the truck is looking better. new tires are a few inches larger and wider than before. They ride great on the highway.

I went ahead and plasti dipped the wheels too. Looking better! I'm going to do the grill tonight to delete the chrome.

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Boom baby! New shoes!

33x10.50 KO2's

And whats that I spy? A full size spare?! OMG! First time I've had one of those in 5 years.

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
A friend set up a wheeling trip to Bodie CA this weekend. A few of us decided to go camping the night before in June Lake CA again.

On the first day I fired up my jeep at the campsite and the alternator belt was squealing. Turns out the bracket had snapped in half. We JB welded it and let it set overnight, but in the 30 or 40 miles to the trail head, the JB weld failed. At the trail head we fashioned this awesome repair using a butter knife, stainless zip ties, and a hose clamp.

At this point, knowing the condition of the roads in and out of Bodie, I opted to pass on the trail ride and headed 120 miles home. The bracket is now out and ready to be welded tomorrow.

So alternator issues aside, It was a nice weekend. I went camping, fishing, met a few new FSJ people, said hi to everybody at the trail head, then went home.

Jeep ran flawlessly up into the mountains and over all the passes (regardless of the busted bracket).

Upper Virginia Lake (roughly 10,000')

Upper Virginia Lake (roughly 10,000')

June Lake

Friend!

Friends!