Monthly Photo Contest Rules

Inc

Staff member
Agree 100%, most people that use to shoot film and have the local shop process their film, did not realize that the machine or developer would correct issues during the processing. Masters in the darkroom could really make an image come to life. The only difference today it's called the digital darkroom. So whatever it takes to make an image appear as it was, by all is fair game. This is the main reason RAW is the way to go. Now when the photographer can shoot the photo correctly while on location, the less work he will have to do at the PC.

:thumbsup:

Roach

error operator
Staff member
If you have commercial intent for a shot you probably shouldn't be entering it in a local photo contest.

I don't believe that is his intent with watermarking, he had an incident last year where someone scalped a photo from here and used it illegally on their commercial site.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
How about ditch the rules and monthly subjects, and have a "share and pick" monthly thread. The people who are voting can decide on what they like best:thumbsup:

I like the subject each month. I see it as a reward for the winner and think that it pushes people to be more creative with the given subject.

Shamus30

I like the subject each month. I see it as a reward for the winner and think that it pushes people to be more creative with the given subject.

Maybe have 2 contests per month, a running Potpourri of the "run what you brung" "Open Class" variety, and another to continue the winner picks the subject like we have been. I like the subject driven contest, but I also like the more open competition also.

And maybe with the "Open Class" let people enter more than one photo per month (we should probably limit it to 5 or so) that way it encourages more participation and shooting....

Maybe have 2 contests per month, a running Potpourri of the "run what you brung" "Open Class" variety, and another to continue the winner picks the subject like we have been. I like the subject driven contest, but I also like the more open competition also.

And maybe with the "Open Class" let people enter more than one photo per month (we should probably limit it to 5 or so) that way it encourages more participation and shooting....

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Stebel

If you have commercial intent for a shot you probably shouldn't be entering it in a local photo contest.

I dont. I just want to prevent my pictures from being stolen from me and used comercialy by someone else without my knowledge. It happened once already.

Jehu

I see your point. A watermark doesn't seem like it ought to be an infraction of the rules for this contest.

kairo

Staff member
NEW RULE:
Since there has been in the past, and perhaps currently some signing up of additional accounts to bolster votes, the following rules will apply:

1)Each member is allowed one vote, plus one additional vote for their family under another name. This will exclude certain situations as in the case of a husband and wife who are both active participants on the forum. This rule will be weighed and judged on a case by case basis.

It is very easy to keep track of the signups, IP address, and where those users are logging in from and if they are voting.

Please ensure that the photography voting is fair and honest, as a reflection of the "best" work in the voters opinion. Bolstering votes will no longer be permitted.

Inc

Staff member
NEW RULE:
Since there has been in the past, and perhaps currently some signing up of additional accounts to bolster votes, the following rules will apply:

1)Each member is allowed one vote, plus one additional vote for their family under another name. This will exclude certain situations as in the case of a husband and wife who are both active participants on the forum. This rule will be weighed and judged on a case by case basis.

It is very easy to keep track of the signups, IP address, and where those users are logging in from and if they are voting.

Please ensure that the photography voting is fair and honest, as a reflection of the "best" work in the voters opinion. Bolstering votes will no longer be permitted.

Are people seriously doing that? If anyone has, that is seriously lame. Voting for your own photo is fine, as long as it is only once.

One vote per person, if your photo can't stand on its own merit, don't cheat to win.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Are people seriously doing that? If anyone has, that is seriously lame. Voting for your own photo is fine, as long as it is only once.

One vote per person, if your photo can't stand on its own merit, don't cheat to win.

This happened in the ROTM contest.

dharris

I had a feeling this was going on. I vote for myself every-time, my boss votes for me and so does my tech. All from different well aged accounts:thumbsup:

dharris

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Inc

Staff member
It appears that the winner of the monthly contest gets to set the parameters such as late entries, deadlines and what not. I think if you'd like the contest to run a certain way, you better hope your shot wins the poll. ;)

I don't think that having a single entry date, one day, for all people to enter their shot will work either. I think most will more than likely miss the date and there won't be many, if any entries. There are few enough already and that is with wide open rules and restrictions.

just my 2 cents.

Jehu

We have a wide range of photographers here that range from newbs that are trying to figure out their Coolpix to professionals. What kind of contest can you have with that variety? I think the only answer is one with very flexible rules. Those of us who have studied photography more thoroughly should probably have a lot of patience for those who haven't. Remember the very first contest? The subject was Sagebrush. That was a great choice for a subject. The problem was that 3 of the first 4 entries weren't sagebrush.

That said...

I haven't been involved in too many forum based photo contests but since I've been involved in this one I've been paying more attention. I've found that most monthly contests go from the first to the end of the month. This can't work for our contest because the winner chooses the new theme. There will need to be a few days for voting taken out of the range. The question is: Should the contest begin later in the month? or should it end before the end of the month?

My preference is to go to the end of the month and try to get the voting done by the fifth. That would reduce the ambiguity of the deadline. I also like the idea of reducing the window for entries. Perhaps entries may be posted anytime during the last week of the month.

jmho

Jehu

I'm at a disadvantage. I keep getting my compositions done after the deadline. I use film mostly.

You're not the only one. I miss the deadline often because I shoot with sheet film. It's not so bad when I use BW but I send my color film to Arizona. That's a 10 day process with shipping both ways.

What format do you shoot?