Moonrocks clean-up

Sauce

xjmoser said:
That works for me. Anyone have a trailer with sides to haul the trash out.
I have a datsun trailer that we could use. I could go for april 30th. Maybe we could do like xjmoser said and adopt moonrocks.

PizzaJeep

fully support and back everything you guys are saying so far.. and ill be there at the first and every cleanup

kairo

Staff member
a cleanup is good, but lets not just go and clean up without someone knowing. We need to let the local goverment, or parks department, or someone know that people still care about the trails. If they see that there is a concerted effort to work for the trails, they may be more inclined to keep them open, and work with us

xjmoser

We need to contact the local BLM office and talk to them about adopting moonrocks and let them know when we are planning the clean up. Maybe put a call into the RGJ

throttleboy

Denis said:
How about Sat, April 30th? Or post a date that you think is better.
i'm down for the 30th,i can get a trailer,and are we wheeling or clean up only?? and as i said in the other thread i think if we call one of the local news stations and post flyers around town(summit,and the 4x shops) this would be a good way to draw attention to our cause.also as xjmoser said notifying the BLM and the division of forestry might be a good idea to!!

EricsXJ

If this gets going you can plan on me being there as well. I have a small trailer I can tow behind my jeep. We should definitely let the media know. RGJ, TV channels.

As far as adopting moonrocks, I've got a few concerns I would like to discuss before we decide to adopt it.

1) Look at 2 weeks ago when we were there... there were a TON of motorcycles / quads and even though rock crawlers use it a lot, I'll bet the motorcycle people use it more. On top of that, it is also used by paintballers, and high schoolers just looking for a place to hang out and party. I'm not against any of these groups (well, maybe the party'ers) but adopting MoonRocks is a major undertaking. Maybe since it is used so much, thats all the more reason it needs to be adopted by someone. Then again, if you adopt it and then don't follow-up on a LONG TERM basis, how will that make us look as a group if its not getting clean?

2) There are several trails that could be adopted instead of MoonRocks. AFAIK, Hills Angels adopted the Hunter Lake Trail and have done projects on Peavine (don't know if its adopted or not). But what about Steve's Loop? Or Bronco Canyon? Or Strawberry Creek? Maybe RARECJ8 knows if anyone has adopted these and if not maybe those are alternatives to think about.

3) If we adopt a trail, it is good to post some signs about responsible use, etc which is also name recognition for us. But remember there will be an expense for having the signs made and unless someone wants to foot the bill for this, we would all have to chip in. I know they did this on Peavine and the signs were destroyed or disappeared after a short time. Thats just something else to think about.

I'm all for the MoonRocks clean-up but as far as adopting a trail, I want to make sure we have a concensus of what everyone wants to do and see how many are committed to sharing that responsibility.

throttleboy

i personaly would like to do the clean up a few times and see how that go'es before we adopt the moon rocks or any other trail.like EricsXJ said if we (reno 4x4) adopt a spot and dont follow through this just gives BLM more of a reason to close our trails.and think of the bad publicity it would bring us and this site.i'm not against adopting but i say lets take it one step at a time and try to get some of the other groups that use the moon rocks involved!!

xjmoser

Maybe we need more time to set this up that way we can go to the motorcycle shops also and let them know we are planning a clean-up.

Everytime Ive been out there the dirtbikes out number 4x4s.

Knight

i can get about 10 or more people to help, we need community service for our english class and i'll post it in the class room. I've talked to some of my friends and they would be interested in helping. Is it the 30 for sure? and what time are we meeting?

Sauce

so what is the official date, I thought it was this saturday and pizza night is a week from friday

88WranglerMan

I would like to go but I'm not sure if I will be able to, so It would be nice to know if this is happening or not so I can ask, I will also ask Izzy and Phil if they want to do it, and see if some of my friends would like to come. The more the marryer! And are we just going to clean or are we gonna wheel to?