Mounting your own tires?

kairo

Staff member
This question is geared towards denis. . . You said that you mounted the tires on my rims by yourself? How hard was it to do?

Sauce

I think he is directing it towards dennis because he bought the xj with beadlocks and dennis mounted them himself, so anybody with experience mounting beadlocks can chime in

Connect

Off topic, I saw a kit on Extreme 4x4 that turned your steel wheel into beadlocks, pretty cool and cheap.

KYOTA

theres a ton of DIY beadlock kits on the market, Bobby Long sells a set for $85 a wheel with free shipping you just have to weld the inner rings to your steel wheels. Mounting the tire is easy on a beadlock, soap up the inner bead of the tire and set it set it on the wheel and starting on one side use your knees or feet "persuade" the tire onto the wheel, then center the tire as best you can and install the lock ring and bolt it on. Now it gets fun, grab your ether and give a couple squirts inside the tire and toss matches at the tire till it ignites and your tire will be seated on the back side of the rim, add some air and you only have three more to go!

Sauce

KYOTA said:
theres a ton of DIY beadlock kits on the market, Bobby Long sells a set for $85 a wheel with free shipping you just have to weld the inner rings to your steel wheels. Mounting the tire is easy on a beadlock, soap up the inner bead of the tire and set it set it on the wheel and starting on one side use your knees or feet "persuade" the tire onto the wheel, then center the tire as best you can and install the lock ring and bolt it on. Now it gets fun, grab your ether and give a couple squirts inside the tire and toss matches at the tire till it ignites and your tire will be seated on the back side of the rim, add some air and you only have three more to go!
unfortunately, bobby isn't selling his BL kits anymore, he threw his back out and is unable to do them any more.

KYOTA

since when did he quit selling them? I know Bobby has had surgery recently, I'll call him tomorrow and see whats up.

KYOTA

yep your right damnit that sucks Bobbys locks are beef

Quote from Pirate

"Sorry guys. We do not make the beadlocks anymore. With my back surgery I cant lift to much anymore. My wife just had knee surgery and will be down for a while. I guess we are just falling apart. Four beadlocks and all the bolts and box it ways 75 lbs and UPS is complaining plus the price of steel is going up again. There are still other good beadlocks out there. Thanks for understanding."

Samco Fab

I would suggest being very careful with the either ( starting fluid ). I have mounted probably 10 or 15 tires on beadlocks and never needed it. Pull the schrader valve out and blast it with a high flow air source, ratchet strap down the center of the tire if needed. Play around with centering the wheel between the two beads. It should work unless you have too wide of wheels.
I know a guy that got burned pretty bad doing the starting fluid thing, be careful if you do it, get real far back, dont light the stream of fluid as it leaves the can ( seen it once in a video :crazy: ) mabye spray a fuse trail a few feet away from the tire and wear glasses or just dont do it.
Also never never re use the beadlock bolts with an aluminum beadlock and dont over torque the bolts. Run new bolts every time and torque them to spec evenly, they break off easily and suck to remove!

KYOTA

samcos right it doesnt take much at all to do it, every bad story I've heard is from using too much. I did all 4 of mine when I remounted using only 2-3 short bursts and stood back and tossed a match, a little foooomp and it was seated. Too much beer and a can of ether = BOOOM !!! :eek: