Moving a Heavy Gun Safe

SlantShady

I have a 1000lb safe that I'd like to move to my new place of residence. Both places on bottom floor on carpet on a slab foundation. Have a step or two to go up and/or down.

Have any of you guys done this first hand and have experience and/or advice on how to perform such a tast, or recommend a mover that can move it for a reasonable cost?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SlantShady

I have a special safe dolly that is rated up to 3000lbs. I'd be happy to move it in for a moderate fee.

Interested... what kind of fee are we talking? Also, I see you're in Carson City. I live in N. Reno. How much from one house in N.Reno to another in N.Reno?

I tried moving one myself once... Hahaha it was not worth even trying. It is a 600 lb safe with two of us with a large appliance dolly. Got it to the porch with quite a bit of effort, looked at the stairs, took it back inside...

The Safe Place on Greg St will move your safe with a dolly that has an electric motor to go up and down stairs but it is Spendy! Figure $300+ depending on distance in their truck and stairs etc.

Burien

two sheets of plywood and push / shimmy it out of the house on the wood, then a flat bed trailer with a winch, lots of time, and at least 4-5 guys, good luck!

turbobrick

Interested... what kind of fee are we talking? Also, I see you're in Carson City. I live in N. Reno. How much from one house in N.Reno to another in N.Reno?

If you can provide a little help, like a couple strong people, and you are somewhat flexible on timing, I'll move it for a $150 donation to the Rubicon Trail Foundation.

turbobrick

Just to clarify, moving safes is part of my business, my dolly is a powered stair climber. I just delivered a 1600# safe from Sacramento to Carson City last week, so it is something that I do regularly.

DaGimp

If you can provide a little help, like a couple strong people, and you are somewhat flexible on timing, I'll move it for a $150 donation to the Rubicon Trail Foundation.

You kickass.....

Dont rent a uhaul to do it, my buddy had a 800lb safe he moved. He bowed the loading ramp on the uhaul and almost had to pay for a new one.

lelandEOD

I've moved a couple safes in my day. I had to move my 1,600lb. Graffunder from Montana to Pennsylvania to California and finally to Nevada. It's not fun. I have a 5,000 lb pallet jack that I bought to move the beast around and can bring it by on loan if you think it would help. I'm new to this site as I've only been in Reno since June, but I'm game to meet likeminded guys who enjoy offroading and shooting.

ammowaster

I have moved quite a few safes with a appliance dolly and my advice is pay the man.

If it really weighs 1000 pounds then it is a giant pain. 7-800 is bad enough

DirtyChemist

Premium Member
I'm glad I know turbo does this. I will keep it in mind when a friend buys one and moves it to a cabin he has.

SlantShady

Thanks for the info, Turbo. Definitely sounds like a good option. I'm not sure exactly the date I need to have it moved, but will contact you when I have more details.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Sorry to thread resurrect, but I am dire need to move a safe. Losing my house, need to move shit into storage before I start losing that stuff too. Need help moving a gun safe. Can anyone recommend someone that can help?