Moving a Heavy Gun Safe

WILLD420

Premium Member
I was able to take the door off mine and it helped, but they are still too much for one guy to handle. Too much for several guys as well. I got a quote from Alpine Lock and Key a few months back. Nearly gave me heart failure, but they were available on short notice.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Yeah I've looked at companies locally and a lot of them start pushing the total value of my safe just to move it. And being that I'll likely have to move it two times over the next couple months, definitely cant afford to spend a small fortune on moving it.

Turbobrick doesn't appear to move them anymore. Anyone else on here do this?

grumpyoldretiredcop

Premium Member
When I moved up here, I used an appliance dolly and a couple of big guys to help. It wasn't fun, but is "doable". I also recommend a liftgate truck unless your have a relatively small safe.

cmarjeep

I just moved my 600lb safe from the third story of my townhouse to my new place. I rented a UHAUL and an appliance dolly and me and my cousin did it ourselves down two flights of stairs. It wasn't bad at all. Just took it one step at a time and then got another helper to push it up the ramp of the UHAUL truck. The hardest part is going up, going down isn't bad since you can use the weight of the safe to your advantage.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Most of the appliance dollies I've seen are only rated to ~750lbs or so. Does anyone have an appliance dolly or similar they'd be willing to loan for a couple hours so I can try to tackle this task with some buddies

majorpunk80

Premium Member
Raising this thread from the dead. I have a couple big safes I'll need moved once my house sells. Anyone here do this or know who does? Thanks in advance!

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
I couldn't get anyone local to call me back (I didn't try on here) What I did do that worked well was bought a cheap pallet jack from harbor freight. I ended up being able to move my 1400 pound one by my self up a few sets of stairs with some plywood ramps.

GOT?RUBICON

RENO4X4 supporter
Call Daryl at All American Lock and Safe. 775-626-5397
He is reasonably priced and does it for a living. So he has the man power and tools/carts/dollies.
Great guy, too.

majorpunk80

Premium Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Didn't see the last post until it was too late and the job was done, but wanted to let people know that Alpine Lock and Key hooked me up with a sweet price that included a 10% military discount.:)

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Didn't see the last post until it was too late and the job was done, but wanted to let people know that Alpine Lock and Key hooked me up with a sweet price that included a 10% military discount.:)

That's awesome. They never even called me back.

majorpunk80

Premium Member
That sucks. I only went in there cuz it was close to work or I might've been in the same boat had I called

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
You can move them very easily with a handful of short lengths of PVC pipe. Think egyptians moving stone blocks.

My buddy did that with his safe that was the same size as mine. He said he won't mess with that again though after seeing how easy I moved mine all by my self with the cheap harbor freight pallet jack.