Mule Deer in 043-046

I drew a Mule Deer tag out in 043 and 046 but have never been in the area. I have a trip to go out this weekend and start some scouting and figured some of you guys may have some tips. I am looking at Star Peak in 43, Granite Mountain in 44, Mt. Tobin in 45, and Sonoma Peak in 46.

Any comments are much appreciated, not looking for your special spot just some general direction so I can make the most use of my scouting trips, NDOW hasn't returned my calls for info.

Last edited:

hillrat

Star Peak was really crowded last year. (Star City, to be exact.) Talked to a guy who's been hunting it for a decade, said he's never seen so many people out there. He said 4 or 5 bucks came out of it while he was there this time. I took a forky off Granite Mountain, against advice that said there weren't enough deer there to make it worthwhile. We saw a lot of deer down low around Star Peak, but all doe. There were quite a few doe down low; but the antlers were up near the top of Granite Peak. Get out and hike on an early start, and scan those shady open sage hillsides carefully.

I had only two weekends out there, the first I had a friend with me who couldn't hike and doesn't know jack about hunting (thanks to my wife who didn't want me going alone). The 2nd weekend I went alone and hiked up high, where my buddy wouldn't/couldn't go, and put meat in the freezer. I think the deer were moved by a lot of pressure, and there were a lot of road hunters cruising in both trucks and ATV's. Not near as many on Granite Mtn though. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I talked to my brother last night and we settled on Star Peak and Granite Peak for this weekend, so it looks like we are headed in a good direction.

I am hoping to get to Mt Tobin first weekend in August but we'll see how things go.

We have no problem hiking and we are planning to get off the roads and try and stay away from the crowds come hunting season. This trip we hope to familiarize ourselves with the terrain and start finding some animals. This will be one of many trips before the season starts.

I am also planning on hunting more than just the weekend so hopefully I'll see less traffic during the week.

Thanks again for the advise

Just to report back. I harvested a small 4x3 off of Star Peak. I had the early season tag and didnt see anyone out there so it was awesome to have the whole mountain to myself. My dad and I saw tons of antlers, mostly small to medium 2pt bucks but we did see some nice 4x4 bucks but couldnt get it done. Awesome area and we had a great time chasing mulleys.

hillrat

Congrats on your hunt. That's a nice area out there, when it isn't crowded. Wife and I have hiked to the top of Thunder Mountain (just NE of Star Pk) from Star City. All the other old ghost towns and remnants around that area and south of it are neat to explore. In any case, good on ya for filling your tag.