Need a new shooting spot.

WJeeper

So we used to go shooting in hungry valley off of chickadee, but due to recent land changes, I need a new place to go. I got a few people that want to go this Saturday, but not sure of a good spot anymore.

Anyone want to let me know where they go near north Reno? Or pm if you don't want your secret spot out there.

2wd accessible is a plus, but looking for anything though.

-Aaron

So we used to go shooting in hungry valley off of chickadee, but due to recent land changes, I need a new place to go. I got a few people that want to go this Saturday, but not sure of a good spot anymore.

Anyone want to let me know where they go near north Reno? Or pm if you don't want your secret spot out there.

2wd accessible is a plus, but looking for anything though.

-Aaron

There was a few good looking spots right up north of Cold Springs on highway 293. Road is rough but passable by 2 wheel drive. I have not shot there but I saw a few groups out there on Mother's Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WJeeper

Any other suggestions? I find it hard to believe that no one here on RenoGunsN4x4.com has a place they go that is somewhat close.

I know there are areas out at the mine locations north on pyramid hwy that are a little bit closer than up past cold springs, plus I've been there before also. But, still hoping for somewhere a little closer.

Any other suggestions? I find it hard to believe that no one here on RenoGunsN4x4.com has a place they go that is somewhat close.

I know there are areas out at the mine locations north on pyramid hwy that are a little bit closer than up past cold springs, plus I've been there before also. But, still hoping for somewhere a little closer.

Your old shooting spot was my old shooting spot, so it seems like you and me are both looking for the same thing :(.

I know my buddy shoots out east of Damonte Ranch, but if your in the north that might be just as far.

jfrey123

North up Red Rock Rd has some decent spots, but you gotta pick a good backdrop because there are a lot of dispersed homesteads out that way.

I've gone to a few spots on the opposite side of Pyramid Hwy across from the Washoe County range without issue as well.

I haven't gotten out nearly as much as I used to since the arrival of my first born. My go-to spots were all in the new reservation lands off Eagle Canyon.

DJRENO

I'm on the south end of town and just find it easier to go the the range in Carson City. Pretty good setup and its free.

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
North up Red Rock Rd has some decent spots, but you gotta pick a good backdrop because there are a lot of dispersed homesteads out that way.

I've gone to a few spots on the opposite side of Pyramid Hwy across from the Washoe County range without issue as well.

I haven't gotten out nearly as much as I used to since the arrival of my first born. My go-to spots were all in the new reservation lands off Eagle Canyon.

I'll have to go with you some time if you don't mind showing me some spots near the washoe county range. My new place will be pretty close to there

Dr. Marneaus

Premium Member
Theres still open area SOUTH of the hungry valley nonsense, out by chickadee. If you want, drop me a message and I'll show you where I go.

Tom A

Wherever you go, wear jeans, and bring a couple gallons of water and a shovel. Already been a couple fires the past few weeks, and I expect after the past winter, the cheat grass is going to be worse than last year.

Simple Man

Hum-Toy closed for shooting

The Hum-Toy just closed their forest to shooting for the rest of the summer...

Temporary Shooting Restriction Goes Into Effect on the Carson Ranger District Due to Increase in Shooting-Related Fires

Carson City, Nev., June 28, 2017 – Due to the risk of wildfires, the Carson Ranger District will be instituting a temporary shooting restriction. This restriction will go into effect on Friday, June 30, and remain in effect until Saturday, Sept. 30 or until conditions change.

The Carson Ranger District encompasses over 400,000 acres on the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest in the states of Nevada (136,232 acres) and California (270,208 acres). The District includes 330,000 acres of urban interface area west of Reno-Sparks Metropolitan Area (pop. 425,417), Carson City (pop. 54,080), Minden (pop. 3,001), and Gardnerville (pop. 5,656) in Nevada and more remote rural areas in eastern California.

The District experienced an extremely wet winter, leading to higher-than-normal grass growth. In addition, the current stretch of hot weather has increased the fire danger by drying the grasses and elevating the risk for human-caused fires.

“This temporary shooting restriction will prohibit people who are not hunting from discharging firearms on the Carson Ranger District,” said District Ranger Irene Davidson. “The main purpose of this order is to enhance public safety and protect natural resources while the District’s fire conditions are at a dangerous level as evidenced by the recent rash of shooting-related fires.”

In May and June, there have been 9 fires that has burned over 500 acres (7 fires in Washoe and one in Church Hill Counties in Nevada and one in Alpine County, California) that were human caused and currently under investigation where target shooting has become the focus as the cause: two on private lands; four on Nevada Bureau of Land Management lands; and three on Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest lands. The amount of shooting-related fires are above the average number for this time of year.

Violating the temporary shooting restriction is punishable by a fine up to $5,000 and/or six months in jail. In addition, anyone found responsible for starting a wildfire will be held civilly and criminally liable.

“U.S. Forest Service Law Enforcement will be bringing in extra officers to patrol and enforce the temporary shooting restrictions on the Carson Ranger District,” said Don Harris, Patrol Captain with Forest Service Law Enforcement & Investigations.”

Forest officials suggest gun enthusiasts use private or county designated shooting ranges while the restriction is in effect.

To report illegal shooting on the Carson Ranger District while the temporary shooting restriction is in place, please contact either the Nevada Division of Wildlife 24-hour Dispatch Center at 775-688-1331 or 775-688-1332 (U.S. Forest Law Enforcement) or the Ranger District Office at 775-882-2766 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Never approach anyone that may be illegally target shooting. Instead, get details and descriptions of the incident and turn them over to an enforcement agency. Helpful information includes:

· The license plate number and description of the vehicle involved (make, model, year, and condition).

· Number of people involved, along with descriptions.

· Date and time of incident.

· Location and directions to the area, if possible GPS coordinates.

· Name and telephone number of person reporting the incident.

· Provide any cell phone photos if available.

For additional information on the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, please visit www.fs.usda.gov/htnf or participate in the conversation at https://twitter.com/HumboldtToiyabe and https://www.facebook.com/HumboldtToiyabeNF/.

-USDA-

So, what does that leave for a safe easy access place to shoot?

Last edited:

Bodie the Dog

We don't need not stinkin' government! (unless there's a big fire)

Well, its them that has to put out the fires....

Those Sovereign Citizen fucktards really have no shame. Some old guy wearing an anti-government shirt recently thanked my wife for saving his home and corvette. Do they even see the irony? (She stuck around when the other crews took off, but that's a whole 'nother rant.) Those same "patriots" think nothing of spending hundreds of dollars on Gasden flags and tshirts and similar crap, but won't pony up $45 for an annual parcel tax to keep the local fire station open. Response time going up 10 minutes? That's ok, because we aren't paying no taxes!

Seriously, WTF? And LOL, usually when I rant like this, someone calls me a Communist. But I guess nobody will this time, because now we like Russia! LULZing you big time, pwnd by Putin.

BTD

Those Sovereign Citizen fucktards really have no shame. Some old guy wearing an anti-government shirt recently thanked my wife for saving his home and corvette. Do they even see the irony? (She stuck around when the other crews took off, but that's a whole 'nother rant.) Those same "patriots" think nothing of spending hundreds of dollars on Gasden flags and tshirts and similar crap, but won't pony up $45 for an annual parcel tax to keep the local fire station open. Response time going up 10 minutes? That's ok, because we aren't paying no taxes!

Seriously, WTF? And LOL, usually when I rant like this, someone calls me a Communist. But I guess nobody will this time, because now we like Russia! LULZing you big time, pwnd by Putin.

BTD

What does your wife do? House keeping?