new computer

xjmoser

Dude! I got a new computer :D

I came home from work today and got on the internet and tried to reply to a post and my keyboard was gone (wifes been threatining to hide it).

I found it in the bedroom closet on top of my new computer.:rock:

Finally finished seting it up.

Connect

Didn't it occur to you when you sat down the keyboard was missing? :)

As long as its not a gateway or compaq nicely done

kairo

Staff member
heyyyy now, don't go dissin' on Gateways. I've got a new 64 bit athlon laptop by gateway. Right now they're untouchable in the notebook world. My first pc was a gateway, and it's still around the house.....running...somewhere

kairo

Staff member
Well, kind of. . . With Alienware, you definately get a good computer/notebook, but you pay for the name. I have an alienware desktop right now (area 51) and it's been a great pc for the last few years. However, With the money I spent on the alienware, I could have easily built two comperable computers myself. With the laptop, I once again looked at alienware, and decided against it for a number of reasons.

Firstly, the alienware laptops are almost double price for comperable "brand name" computers. You're looking at a difference of almost a grand in some cases. My gateway was $1500 out the door, whereas an alienware may run you $2500+

Second, my gateway came stocked with a gig of ram, upgradeable to 2 gigs. I have a 128 meg radeon card, and a 64 bit athlon processor @ 2.5 ghz. Most of those options are upgrades on alienware laptops (except the vid card)

Now, the alienware laptop will beat that in most every way, and it will come out far superior in things like extra ports, quality speakers, and super graphics cards (the new Nvidia 6800 for example)---If you pay for it. Another thing to consider is weight and size. The alienware comes with a 17" widescreen monitor, which is HUGE! My 15.4 widescreen is even too big at times. It really makes it inconvenient to carry the laptop around all day. The bottom line is If you want a top of the line video and gaming machine and you don't mind lugging it around everywhere, there's no question, alienware is at the top of the heap. If you're looking for a high performance laptop with alot of expandability and decent size and weight, then gateway rises among the other brands.

I looked real hard at HP as a competitor to gateway---I had my HP all picked out. For only $300 more though, the next level gateway was almost twice as fast and expandable as the top HP laptop.

Will gateway remain on top? probably not. Computers change so much on a weekly basis, that it's impossible to tell who will come out with the next best thing. Apple has some kickin projects underway as we speak, so look for great things from Mac. Just do yourself a favor whenever you buy your next laptop. Don't buy a pentium processor :) Too battery intensive. Centrino (or my favorite athlon 64bit).
Compute on!

DBXJ

yup thats what kep me from geting a ailenware is the price
the desk top i have now is the one me and my friend built (well mainly him)
not to much since at the time he was working at compuseless and got part cheap though i need a new vid card since mine is messed up

xjmoser

kairo said:
haha, i missed the "dude" I bet you got a dell ;)

I cant believe it took so long for someone to catch it.

Im not very schooled when it comes to computers so im happy with my new DELL. Its alot better than my old computer and the flat screen kicks.

Now I have to try and find were I downloaded my FTP programe last time. any suggestions?

Connect

Yea alienware sucks because of price and the laptops burn your lap off and battery life is horrible. www.abspc.com makes the best comparable notebooks and desktops for a great price. Bottom line home built is the cheapest and fastest :)