New here....

Rambler

Hey all,

I found this board doing a search for local 4x4 info. I'm pretty new at all this, but I recently bought a '77 GMC Jimmy to fulfill a long time dream of having a rig to go out with in the back country with my family. I'm not into very hard core stuff, but I want to use it to go geocaching and ghost town hunting, as well as a little off road exploring.

Anyway I've had my eyes open for a good deal on a beater Blazer for awhile and I stumbled on this Jimmy for $500.00. It needs some work, but it runs great. It's got a stock 8-400 4bbl engine, with pretty much stock everything else except for glass packs and a 600 cfm Edelbrock Performer Series carburetor on it that is worth nearly half of what I payed for the rig. I will be upgrading the intake manifold and putting headers on it as a start. I also need to lift it a bit and put new rubber on it. It also needs some body work, but I'm not going to make it look too pretty. I want something I'm not afraid to scratch. :wink:

Jimmy017.jpg

It will be a work in progress and upgrades will be slow because this is the first time I have ever done anything like this and I will only be able to afford a bit at a time.

Looking forward to getting to know you and learning some stuff from you all. I noticed most of you all have Jeeps. Hope you don't mind a GMC hanging around. :8

Connect

You bought the evil rusted twin of my blazer haha

www.cardomain.com/id/wtfxor

And in my stock cherokee I've gone farther and harder then I ever did with my blazer. True there are some things it can't replace, top off, burning out with that lovely 400 v8, posi rear. But at 8mpg you aint going far!

Last edited:

Rambler

That is a scary resemblance. I think the 31 gal gas tank and a couple of jerry cans will get me anywhere I want to go. Besides I'll be working on that 8 mpg...... I think I'll be able to squeeze 9 out of it. :D

The hard part will be the impact on the pocket book keeping it fueled. Right now to fill the tank from dry would cost about $80.00 :eek: And that's if I go with the cheap stuff.

The paint jobs are almost a perfect match. By the way.... where do you store that rust free Blazer. :wink: Just so I can see one up close without rust you know..... purely research and all. :angel:

dye_dan

I got a '76 blazer that I've had for 10 years. It's very mild but it's been through a few lifts and I used to beat the piss out of it in mud holes up in Washington and it's still in fairly good shape, although I did destroy the 12 bolt rear - good excuse to upgrade to the 14 bolt. I'm not sure how much you know about them but I'd be happy to show you mine and what I've done to it and what I would have done differently. I live near Stead. Also, go look at the post "Dan's Rigs" on the members page to see a pic of it.

Glad to see another full size on here too. I also have an old beater CJ5, but even though it's a jeep I still feel out of place on this board since I don't own an XJ! I think we're outnumbered.

Connect

Yea it always ran better with mid-grade.

It's lived most of its life in the grass valley/auburn area, street truck as far as I can tell. There's no rot on the body anywhere that I can find, one hole in the floorboard passenger side due to exhaust leak.

Rambler

Dan - I just might take you up on that invite to take a look at your rig. Wouldn't mind taking a look at your CJ either. I appreciate any ideas and experiences I can find 'cause I'm pretty new at this.

Connect - I wouldn't mind seeing the twin of mine up close either. I kind of ignored the rust when I bought mine, just because of the deal I got on it. I know I will have to deal with it before it gets worse, but from what I can see there is no structural rust problems with mine.

Connect

Yea my carb is vapor-locking so I cant get it back over the hill, if I ever do though im right down the road

dye_dan

Well, I live north of Reno on 395 near the Red Rock exit. You're welcome to come out any weeknight or weekends when I'm here. I'm gone this weekend but I'll be here the next. Weeknights I'm home by 5 or 6 so just let me know when works for you.