New Jeep?

Connect

Well My mom is in the market for a new vehicle, Something relatively cheap but capable in the winter (and my occasional testing of any 4x4 I can get my hands on)

So of course I'm looking at jeeps, all of them haha. I like the liberty because she likes small suv's really well, and because this is a balanced street rig/fun toy. I've never ridden in one but how are they, more reliability wise then anything else, I plan to test drive some today (sweet)

Was also looking at the older grand cherokees, like the 04's. Some of the used ones are cheaper then liberty's, and I have driven a few of these and am fairly impressed with its luxurios feel. New however they are not cheap enough.

Wranglers, well what can I say the cheapest of all, hold their value very well. Rugged and not very street friendly. If I had my way she'd get a rubicon but haha, I don't think pavement pounders need locking diff's and MT/r's.

Was also looking at the suby wrx purely for fun factor and minimal snow worthiness (I'm imagining a snow plow!)

Just reliability, recall, personal opinions on this one guys. Cover all the bases.

Scrub

Well Hrm... Lets see here, KJ or WJ would be a decent choice if it will never really see anything more that some snow or a dirt road, KJ interior seems way too cheapy if you ask me just too much cheap looking plastic.

Would you be looking at getting a ZJ(93-98 w/ Solid Axles) or a WJ (99-04 W/ Independent Front Suspension)??? I Personally Dont like the Drive Train or the Looks of the WJ but i dont know if your mom would be looking for something as old as a ZJ.
But A Either one Would be Alot Nicer to have than a KJ.

Now on to the Subie, Nice Car Drives Nice on the Road and still does amazingly well in the snow and if you can keep your foot out of the skinny pedal gets better gass mileage than both the KJ and WJ(and zj).

So if it was me looking I Would Look Mainly at The Grand Cherokee's or the Subie.

Also Might want to look at Used Durango's and Maybe Chevy Trailblazers.

-Matt-

Connect

Durangos are too cramped (for me anyways, and I'm not very tall) The trailblazers are admittedly nice, but lacks on the "looks scale" Kind of a minivan/s10-blazer combo. Sure tahoes are nice but I could get a rubicon with major upgrades for that price.

I was talking about the WJ, I haven't driven one off-road, but on-road with the leather, climate control, V8, it seemed like a great vehicle aside from what felt to me like when your table is wobly, going around turns, hard to describe.

ZJ's are nice but I'm looking for low mileage/new cars. My aunt had a 94 limited edition with the 5.9 V8, black with black leather, It was very nice. I was actually supposed to buy it as my first car, but there was a problem with the driveline that would of cost more then the whole car =/

I like the wrx honestly, but the interior is less then even my cherokee, that is my only complaint.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Scrub said:
Would you be looking at getting a ZJ(93-98 w/ Solid Axles) or a WJ (99-04 W/ Independent Front Suspension)???

WJs had a solid axle up front. WK has IFS.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
I'd suggest a 4Runner. It's fairly capable and Toyota's reliability is great. Also, holds their value the best. 96-02 are nice, but if you can find 03+, they are more refined and are not build on the Tacoma chassis, but rather share it with Lexus GX470.

Sauce

Denis said:
I'd suggest a 4Runner. It's fairly capable and Toyota's reliability is great. Also, holds their value the best. 96-02 are nice, but if you can find 03+, they are more refined and are not build on the Tacoma chassis, but rather share it with Lexus GX470.
I agree, why go with domestic garbage when you could get japanese quality :yup: