New rides entry: 2013 Nissan Xterra

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
Mr_Scott's 2013 Nissan Xterra

2013 Pro4-X MT Xterra, Titan swapped, 315/75/16 KO2's, Radflow 2.5inch external resi C/Os, 4inch Alcan leaf packs.

41e4af1f4aa0f4007a30093ed1a4b4d6.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
The day I brought it home:

How it pretty much sits as of now with about 16.5k miles on it:

Last edited:

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
Got the front suspension dialed in enough to get me safely to the alignment shop...I hope. Initial was way off /-----\ Still waiting for the resi mounts to show up so I can get those welded up and ditch the zipties.

Finished tear down on the front diff. Got all the new races driven in and bearings on. Just waiting on some adult supervision and I can start running some patterns and get this buttoned back up.

Started the tear down on the rear end last night as well. Still need to build a wrench to get at the adjusters.

If all goes well I'll spend the rest of the weekend doing what I can and Pops can swing by next Tuesday to help with the setup. My dad worked for Driveline Service for a lot of years and this is something I've always wanted to know how to do so, I'm learning a ton and saving a shit load of money here:cool:

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
Thanks man.

Let me know if you need a hand, I've had a lot of practice lately. I'm almost at the point that I know what I'm doing:p

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
Shit be sweet!

Getting there man. Hope to have at least the front done this week. Maybe both.

Shooting to have this thing more or less done by the start of summer, including armor. I'll wheel it this yr and decide if I want to lock the front or leave it open.

Toyota_James

The Mechanical Menace
Premium Member
I've always been leery about locking the front of IFS trucks. There's a lot going on down there but I guess as long as it's selectable you'd be fine.

WennJR

I've always been leery about locking the front of IFS trucks. There's a lot going on down there but I guess as long as it's selectable you'd be fine.

Can you elaborate on this statement? The spider gears on Nissan trucks are a known weak point of the front end. Lock them and you end up with a stronger setup.

RelentlessTaco

Premium Member
He probably means CV bind leading to more possible blown CV joints and if it's not a selectable locker leading to loading/unloading of an auto locker on the street without manual hubs

willys dave

I'm a little jealous that you have a dad that can show you how to do this kind of work, or anything for that matter.That's priceless, enjoy and appreciate it ! Good luck

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
Pops couldn't make it out this week so I decided to start playing with it on my own with no intentions of running it till I'm a little more comfortable with how this all works. After getting the pinion preload and backlash in spec, the pattern was just OK:
Drive:

Coast:

I think I need to add a little more pinion depth and maybe add a little more backlash. All in all, pretty happy with how this is going considering I've gotten here un-assisted so far. I'm enjoying the learning curve.

Last edited:

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
So I made some small adjustments on the front and am pretty happy with it. Sent some pics to pops and he said "I'd send it out like that"...good enough for me!

On to the rear: Any tips for getting the ring gear on the carrier nice and centered when using a spacer? Only thing I can think of is to slap bearings on it and throw it in the housing and use my dial indicator and a deadblow. Now accepting advice:confused:

Shawn Trooper

The easiest way is to use 3 alignment wrenches (or large drift punches work) evenly spaced around the ring. This will center the ring gear on the carrier. After that simply tap the spacer to match up with the ring. Or you can snug up 4 evenly spaced bolts then use a rubber mallet to knock the ring in to correct petition check the alignment by measuring the reveal with a caliper. I have seen some spin the entire assembly with loose bolts to self center all the parts. I have tried it a few times, none have been successful.