New rides entry: 2013 Nissan Xterra

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
That's what my dad used to do I guess, throw the whole mess on a lathe.

I don't have that option at home though. I'll give the three drift thing a shot before I resort to the hammer. Thanks Shawn.

Last edited:

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
After a lot of cursing and beatings I got this pig down to less than .003 and I'm calling that good. Nissan fsm doesn't have a spec for this but the front is listed at .003 so I think I'm ok.

Anyone know what is acceptable on a d44?

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
Got some patterns run on the rear. Looks decent from my limited knowledge:

Also got the resi tabs welded up:

As it sits now I have the front and rear done, I just need to have them QC'd. Need to torque all the front suspension down, Install the diff and CV's, set the coilovers and slap tires back on. Hopefully get it into an alignment shop Thursday AM. Almost done!

Mr_Scott

Premium Member

Got it 99% the other night only to find out that the yoke I was sent was machined with a center bore that was about .012 smaller than the shoulder on my driveshaft. 2wd till next week.

I was able to get the suspension to cycle a bit yesterday though and now I know what needs to be cut or beat to clear the tires.

Loving the new coilovers! Going from a spacer lift to these radflows is a night and day difference. Whole new ride.

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
Got a nice little shakedown run in this afternoon from the airstrip up into the back of HV. Had a blast and the truck did great! So nice not to be constantly riding the clutch or brakes.

The valley is looking pretty bad. All the usual shooting/dumping spots are in need of some attention:

RelentlessTaco

Premium Member
Nice! Dont think I've been up in that area, maybe you'll have to show me around up there some time when my 4runner is armored.

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
For sure man. Cool area.

I gotta come see you guys about that very subject very soon. I'm playing with fire doing the crap I do on factory skids.

Mr_Scott

Premium Member
Wow, haven't touched this in a REALLY long time!

Long story short, this thing was awesome. Wheeled it a lot all over NV and UT, towed our little camper all over the place, just had a lot of fun with the fam in this thing. Few upgrades along the way as my garage as well as my tool selection grew. Ended up building a winch bumper, rear bumper and tire carrier, new sliders, and a full set of skid plates. Also moved up to 35"s. Wheeled it this way for quite awhile with no problems. Was fairly capable and still able to cover long distances at a quick pace and moderate comfort. Loved it!

Then came a slew of failures.... I was in Moab and smoked a CV on the first obstacle of Metal Masher. Luckily, it was the last day and last trail. Threw it on the trailer, caught a ride for the day and planned on dealing with it when I got home. Fast forward a couple weeks and with some new parts thrown at it, I was ready to head back out. Decided to head up and over Peavine and probably head out of Dog Valley- one of my favorite to do's. All smiles and fun until "Jeep Eater Hill". I clicked the locker on and proceeded up as I had done countless times before only to be greeted with a marbles in a washing machine sound as soon as the rear started to break traction. I was able to get it out but ended up killing another CV in the process. Drove home with the locker on, 1 wheel drive with a bad shaft at both ends.

Decision time..... Was starting to feel a little out gunned on the trails and now it needed quite a bit of work to get it back to normal. So, I did what any sane person would do... I parked that bitch on stands and proceeded to plasma cut the IFS stuff out and ditch that little D44 ish rear axle. Weak axles and a 2.7:1 T-case sucked anyway, later pendejos! Sat this way, mocking me in the garage for months.

After being sidetracked by some 2A stuff and winter, I've found some motivation and will be pressing on with the Xterra. Plan is a set of Superduty axles, 40"s and an Atlas. I'll 3-link the front and see what I can do for a 4-link out back. Going to be a ton of work and probably slower than I'd like but I'm going to stay after it. More to followšŸ¤˜

DJRENO

Premium Member
Wow, haven't touched this in a REALLY long time!

Long story short, this thing was awesome. Wheeled it a lot all over NV and UT, towed our little camper all over the place, just had a lot of fun with the fam in this thing. Few upgrades along the way as my garage as well as my tool selection grew. Ended up building a winch bumper, rear bumper and tire carrier, new sliders, and a full set of skid plates. Also moved up to 35"s. Wheeled it this way for quite awhile with no problems. Was fairly capable and still able to cover long distances at a quick pace and moderate comfort. Loved it!

Then came a slew of failures.... I was in Moab and smoked a CV on the first obstacle of Metal Masher. Luckily, it was the last day and last trail. Threw it on the trailer, caught a ride for the day and planned on dealing with it when I got home. Fast forward a couple weeks and with some new parts thrown at it, I was ready to head back out. Decided to head up and over Peavine and probably head out of Dog Valley- one of my favorite to do's. All smiles and fun until "Jeep Eater Hill". I clicked the locker on and proceeded up as I had done countless times before only to be greeted with a marbles in a washing machine sound as soon as the rear started to break traction. I was able to get it out but ended up killing another CV in the process. Drove home with the locker on, 1 wheel drive with a bad shaft at both ends.

Decision time..... Was starting to feel a little out gunned on the trails and now it needed quite a bit of work to get it back to normal. So, I did what any sane person would do... I parked that bitch on stands and proceeded to plasma cut the IFS stuff out and ditch that little D44 ish rear axle. Weak axles and a 2.7:1 T-case sucked anyway, later pendejos! Sat this way, mocking me in the garage for months.

After being sidetracked by some 2A stuff and winter, I've found some motivation and will be pressing on with the Xterra. Plan is a set of Superduty axles, 40"s and an Atlas. I'll 3-link the front and see what I can do for a 4-link out back. Going to be a ton of work and probably slower than I'd like but I'm going to stay after it. More to followšŸ¤˜
I smell cash flowing like a mountain stream after the snow melt.