New to 4-wheelin'

raptor

Hey everybody. I'm new to the whole 4x4 thing. Done a couple of trails, like Como. I've got a stock 93 YJ that I'm looking to lift about 3", put 32" or 33" tires on, and possibly regear it. I'm redoing the exhaust this month, I hope. I have no clue how to do anything beyond basic maint. Eager to learn. I live in Mark Twain at the bottom of 6-mile. Any help would be appreciated.

DBXJ

for one walcome
as for any help u need just post it and im sure some will have the correct answer for ya

NevadaXJ

You sir are in my back yard. I am in the mark twain area as well. I travel six mile canyon every day for work. I have been wanting to do como, but not alone. Let me know when you want to do your exhaust. I changed mine out on my old 92 Cherokee. Not hard at all....

willyj

raptor said:
Hey everybody. I'm new to the whole 4x4 thing. Done a couple of trails, like Como. I've got a stock 93 YJ that I'm looking to lift about 3", put 32" or 33" tires on, and possibly regear it. I'm redoing the exhaust this month, I hope. I have no clue how to do anything beyond basic maint. Eager to learn. I live in Mark Twain at the bottom of 6-mile. Any help would be appreciated.

LOL

sorry i had to flake on you sunday Mb.
when i get back from school in july lets make a trip to complete the como loop i had planned before.

NVXJ. your more then welcome to come along!
i try to post trips in the ramcharger central post. so check my link in my sig line. if we do go bring a camera. we mostly trail ride nothing gruesome!

NevadaXJ

Cool, I like the trail rides better then the rock crawling, and this is such a great area for it. I also have been wanting to run brunswick canyon. I have been up to the mine there, but I haven't been past it...

raptor

thank you NVXJ. that would be very helpful. I'm thinking possibly taking out the exhaust manifold and starting with headers then the rest I don't know, because my cat box is already empty, I could do a cat-back from there. If u could give me some ideas, that would be great.

PizzaJeep

the first thing that youll realize when talking to a group like us, is that everyone has their own opinions and ideas about what to do and what works best and how to build your <insert 4x4 make name here>. Because of this, i suggest that the first thing you do is go and buy books. Become versed in your vehicle- how it works, what it does, where your different angles are, and practice wheelin on milder trails. stuff thats challenging for some are doable in a subaru to others. Read books like "Haynes Jeep: Wrangler Repair Manual" "The Four-wheelers Bible", The Jeep Bible" "jeep Engines", and "Jeep 4x4 Performance Handbook". After you have those materials and have read every page, subscribe to a few GOOD periodicals that talk about 'wheeling. Petersons 4WOR, JP, and Fourwheeler are the best (JP is my fave). Dont pick up ones like Off-road. You want good material that talks about realistic situations, real life wheeling, brings up good products in the market to consider, talk about budget wheeling, and protecting the environment.

What it comes down to is that people that publish books and periodicals are a lot more informed than us- we all have our opinion about everything, and are strapped by funds, so are apt to taking shortcuts every once-in-a-while. Text book wheelers are definately better in knowing about some of the physics of wheeling, have a better understanding of their vehicle, and MOST IMPORTANTLY have a better respect for trail etiquite and 'tread lightly'. They have a better, more focused idea of what they want to do with their jeep buildup if there are to be buildups in your jeeps future. I especially like the Jeep 4x4 performance handbook, because it explains everything youll ever want to know about. I have read it over 10 times and learn something new and get a better perspective every time. I use it as reference for anything i ever want to do to my jeep- i look at that section of it first. You'll soon learn that your jeep is more capable than you think. After that, youll understand better about why you want bigger tires and more lift (or in my case, why my lift amount has decreased). You'll make better decisions on what to spend your money on and what kind of parts to look for when upgrading to stronger stuff.

Let your jeep grow just as fast or slow as your knowledge and experience. Do as much as you can with a stock setup. You'll soon realize that as much as many of us in Reno 4x4, and even broader( all wheelers) spend thinking about upgrading and spending money to make your jeep more, youll realize that when you do one thing, youll have to do 10 more things to you jeep to balance it back out. its a domino effect. bigger tires= more lift, =bigger axles, = need for more power, = regearing, and on and on and on...

when you upgrade or want to do something with it, try to do it yourself first. The more time you spend with it, wheeling and working and wrenching and driving it, the more knowledgeable youll be when it breaks. You may even have more information than that of people around you at the moment, and thats what you want if it's YOUR JEEP.

With that said- These forums are good for making friends and having a more realistic point of view that you cant get from reading a book. as opposed to Jim Allen (author of a few of the above mentioned titles) youll be able to meet me(tony) Denis (the moderator, and head honcho), John (Nevada XJ), david, eric, nick, tom, lisa, mike, jim and on and on and on... there are a lot of people here and we're all linked by what we like to do for fun. probably the BIGGEST thing youll be able to take away from Reno4x4 is fourwheeling buddies. As your skill and trust in your vehicle increases, you'll start running more difficult trails and the risk of breaking or getting into trouble starts increasing. You may get to the point where you dont even want to do a trail that requires 4hi without having someone else with you because if your in 4 wheel drive, your going to be doing something hairy.

thats all of my advice that i can think of on the top of my head. Know your vehicle; read anything and everything you can about the sport/hobby/pastime; make friends; dont let your hobby become the only thing you spend money on, and most importantly HAVE FUN. We're all here to help, lend a hand, interject opinions and be wheeling buddies

and with that said, ill contradict myself once more- listen to advice from all of us but remember all of it is personal opinions, and arent guaranteed to be right. the only way youll know for sure on ANYTHING, is from first hand experience. Many of us have expertise on different things like welding and fabricating, so use that to your advantage, but ive heard things from friends advice that make absolutely no sense over the years. Same with 4 wheeling shops (which really scares me) - that their opinions arent guaranteed to be correct. Ive gotten a lot of crap from different shops that make no sense whatsoever, but the opposite of what they say is true. it all just comes down to- form your own opinions from personal experience over others advice and heresay about what lift is better and what tire is stronger. Research test and evaluate yourself!

call me when you wanna go wheeling haha

Tony

Connect

Welcome to the noob club, I myself just (seriouslY) started wheeling, but I have been a weekend stock adventurer for some time.

Only advice I can really give you being in the fairly same situation (I am a real techy guy so you know where I come from) Take the easy lines, always. And if you work on your jeep yourself, nothing is ever easy and nothing ever fits.

Enjoy man :)

DBXJ

u forgot that everything is expensive
but theres a price to always be paid to have fun....... but its worth it meet new ppl and make some friends along the way

Connect

Well luckily for me My jeep has been fairly cheap (next to the valve job) I'm very satisfied with my budget $500 lift, but in the end it is a $500 lift and isn't a RE Heavy duty ultra flex stuffed the well type deal. You get what you pay for.

DBXJ

well your jeep is a chrysler and chrslers has owned dogde for a while and bought jeep in the early 90s so your jeep by technicality is a dodge