Notch Notch Who's there

rusty_tlc

I may need a couple of pieces of DOM notched in couple of weeks. Is that doable with a drill press? Or does somebody have the right tool for the job?

rusty_tlc

Okay it's a stupid subject line. But after posting the "Bumper picture" I thought I'd keep it FF. I was going to call it "looking for a nice set of notchers".

Scrub

lol, i dont, have an answer to your question but just thought i would give you a bump :D

-Matt-

rusty_tlc

NevadaXJ said:
I can honestly say I have no idea what you are asking to do. DOM?
DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) is the type of metal tube that roll cages are made from.
I may need to make some new spreaders to fit between my front hoop and center hoop. The ends need to be notched or "fisheyed" to fit against the joining pieces.

Sauce

talk to throttleboy, rockape, or deadandcompany, all have the capacity to do it for you. You could always do it yourself with a grinder,slow but definately doable. :D

rusty_tlc

davidt said:
talk to throttleboy, rockape, or deadandcompany, all have the capacity to do it for you. You could always do it yourself with a grinder,slow but definately doable. :D

Thanks, I'll remember them if the time comes.
Grinding off my old steering box mounting plate was a lot of fun ( :disagree: ) but I think I'll try an easier way to notch my tube.

throttleboy

rusty_tlc said:
I may need a couple of pieces of DOM notched in couple of weeks. Is that doable with a drill press? Or does somebody have the right tool for the job?
let me know when your ready,have notcher will travel ;) !!

willyj

rusty_tlc said:
DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) is the type of metal tube that roll cages are made from.
I may need to make some new spreaders to fit between my front hoop and center hoop. The ends need to be notched or "fisheyed" to fit against the joining pieces.

fishmouth.
the term is fishmouth :D

tubeing notcher jigs are sold at Summit and Jegs.
kind of expensive but worth it if you build a lot of cages.

make sure you have a sturdy mount. getting kicked in the leg by a jig or drill when the bit catches the tube hurts!

rusty_tlc

So I returned some lamps and such that my wife decided she didn't like after she go them home. Now I've got some extra money in my pocket and I'm driving home. I just "happen" to be going right by Harbor Freight so I decide to make a quick stop and see if anyhing I need is on sale.

So now I am the proud owner of a tubing notcher. :D

I just need to get the hole saw's that make it useful. :rolleyes:

KYOTA

I have the $40 HF notcher, works good with a Millwaukee hole saw in it. Kind of awkward to get the tube set up in it with the 1/2" drill attached to it and it not being mounted to anything (I just use it on the ground with a drill because I couldnt get some of the desired angles with it in my drillpress) but overall I'm happy with it.

rusty_tlc

KYOTA said:
I have the $40 HF notcher, works good with a Millwaukee hole saw in it. Kind of awkward to get the tube set up in it with the 1/2" drill attached to it and it not being mounted to anything (I just use it on the ground with a drill because I couldnt get some of the desired angles with it in my drillpress) but overall I'm happy with it.
I have a floor stand drill press from when my hobby was wood working. The $40 notcher is $49.99 now, the $64.99 one was on sale for $49.99. I only need to make a few cuts to install my cage but doing it with an angle grinder sounded like a lot of negative fun. So I figured the HF one would be good enough.

KYOTA

The thing I noticed between the two was that the cheaper one believe it or not will actually do more angle than the more $$ one, I still havent figured that one out.

rusty_tlc

KYOTA said:
The thing I noticed between the two was that the cheaper one believe it or not will actually do more angle than the more $$ one, I still havent figured that one out.
:banghead: Now you tell me! :p