Oil and lube

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Not-so-4x4-question(s) of the day:

What are you using? Synth or dino? Fancy or store brand? What brands are reputable and which ones are more hype than truth?

kairo

Staff member
dino everything. Dont want to risk leaks at 115k by switching to synthetic. Mobil one is my poison of choice for motor oil. Will be putting a little bit heavier gear lube in the diffs as it gets colder to help eliminate noise. Dexron III in the T/C or somethin like that. Havent ever changed the tranny fluid. . . should probably do that:hyper:

Dirty Harry

Staff member
I really like Redline fluids. I am running that in my car and my truck in the diffs, tranny, and t-case and will be putting it in the Land Cruiser soon. Available at Summit Racing. I usually use Mobil 1 oil in the big container from Wally World, I figure that it is cheap insurance. Last month's 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility had a really good tech article on oil too.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
I run synthetic in the diffs. Dyno everywhere else.

Diffs - 80W-140 Redline
Engine - Valvoline MaxLife 10W-30
Tranny and t-case - some ATF
K-mart special blinker fluid

Samco Fab

I think synthetics are the way to go on everything. They pay for themselves with that teny tiny increase in milage and power, plus you can run longer without changing the fluid. I have repeatadly seen Synthetic ATF make a transmission that was wowefully overloaded last twice as long (4 days instead of 2 days of testing:D ) I run namebrands that have been around and are trusted like Mobil,Valvoline Castrol, Elf,Neo,Swepco, or Red line but would shy away from moonglow/snakeoil no name additives and companies that you have never heard of or look fishy.:nervous:
Oil additives are like triple split super spark plugs ,fuel line magnets, tornado intake swirlies and grade 12 bolts.....:bs: :bs:
Kairo does have a point with the older vehicles, I have heard too that syn. will make the seals leak, mabye, mabye not but who wants to find out. Also if your old POS burns and leaks oil or is ready to crap out anytime, why spend the extra $$

Last edited:

Rafterman

I run Castrol Syn-tech in all my engins.

Royal purple in my Jeep
diffs,
trans,
tranf.
In my 2500
I run royal purple in the diffs.
Some syn recomendid by MAG-HYTEC in my trannie.(not impressed with it)

Mobil is part of exxon. exxon did not pay for expences of Valdise clean up. I will not use them at the plant or in my personal life.

Samco Fab

Denis, this is no laughing matter, very serious stuff.:no:
Buggy guys like the Swepco (Southwestern Petroleum Company) Some guys like to use thier CV joint grease. Fibercraft sells the stuff. We used to use one of thier oils for shock oil untill we switched to a Shell hydraulic oil.
I have never used Red line, Elf or Neo oils, but high $$ racers use the stuff so it must be good:D
A lot of times the Napa brand or Pep Boys oil is just relabled name brand oil, probably good enough for a trail rig that sees most of its time parked or floped over on its side. I think oil should be changed if its old with low mileage, it soaks up moisture and looses some of its properties from what I've heard. Mabye once a year for a trail only rig with low mileage.

rusty_tlc

This is great stuff. I never thought about the synthetic stuff causing leaks in my Cruiser.
I think my Cruiser falls into the "Also if your old POS burns and leaks oil or is ready to crap out anytime, why spend the extra $$" catagory. :D