Ol Rusty

rusty_tlc

I'll post again since my last thread went away with the old forums.
Before:
CleanRusty.jpg

After:
MuddyRusty.jpg

You wouldn't recognize it from those pictures now. Since they were taken I've started doing a few changes. I ditched the hard top last summer and installed a Kayline soft top. RIght now I'm working on a SOA, slightly larger tires, steering mods, and some gearing upgrades.

dye_dan

Looks like a nice rig. What's the diff between the before/after pics, besides mud on the tires and maybe the air vents are closed? What's it have for an engine?

rusty_tlc

dye_dan said:
Looks like a nice rig. What's the diff between the before/after pics, besides mud on the tires and maybe the air vents are closed? What's it have for an engine?
Just the mud.
I still have the stock in-line 6 2F engine. Not a lot of high end power but almost impossiable to stall. I may think about a V8 swap in a year or two, once the pocket book recovers from the current round.

Rambler

Hey rusty,

Good to see you around. I've alway liked your land cruiser. I finally bit the bullet and got a rig I am gonna be able to get a bit rough with. The better to get to those level 5 terrain caches. :wink:

- John (aka SierraDude)

rusty_tlc

Rambler said:
Hey rusty,

Good to see you around. I've alway liked your land cruiser. I finally bit the bullet and got a rig I am gonna be able to get a bit rough with. The better to get to those level 5 terrain caches. :wink:

- John (aka SierraDude)
Welcome! I just joined this group. Nevadaxj pointed me here.

I'm thinking about getting a group together to do the Superheros caches sometime this summer. Thats if I ever get my rig back together. :rolleyes:

rusty_tlc

The toyota crowd will like this, a Marlin FJ40 toy box (2.28:1) mated to an Advanced Adaptors Orion t-case (4.0:1)
DryFit2.jpg

Rambler

rusty_tlc said:
I'm thinking about getting a group together to do the Superheros caches sometime this summer. Thats if I ever get my rig back together. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind joining you, if I can get my stuff together by then as well. There is quite a but I still need to do to my rig before I feel it's ready to take out and play in the desert. New intake, headers, tires, jack, emergency kit, maybe some suspension work with a lift, etc. The problem is all this requires money, and money does not flow too easily to the extra curricular field of my budget. Heck I was lucky I spotted my rig for $500 and had just gotten my bonus from work. The sort of good news is that I have a lot of overtime soon and will be able to funnel extra cash to where it should go... My toys! Just don't tell the wife. :shh: :D

It will all take time, but I have started and when I get done it will be awesome. I guess I will never truly be done, but the journey will be fun and I will play while I upgrade. :yup:

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
rusty_tlc said:
The toyota crowd will like this, a Marlin FJ40 toy box (2.28:1) mated to an Advanced Adaptors Orion t-case (4.0:1)

i'm not a toy guy, but it is sweet. :thumbsup: 9.12 reduction is great. what is your crawl ration going to be?

rusty_tlc

1st is 3.55:1 and I have 4.11:1 differentials.
Long night tonight trying to get parts cleaned up so I can assemble the Orion case. Kinda buzzin from the solvent fumes. :crazy:

Edit: Ment to say you do the math. Or was that meth?

rusty_tlc

Fixing the hack job on my front cross member.

How not to make a hole in a cross member.

Cleaned up for the patch

Ready to cut a new hole for the Saginaw P/S gear box.

I didn't show any of my booger welds. :disagree:

4xyota

ya cant wait till I get my dual case adapter got the second case and IFS steering box last week costed a big amount, but soon :D

rusty_tlc

4xyota said:
ya cant wait till I get my dual case adapter got the second case and IFS steering box last week costed a big amount, but soon :D
I'm looking forward to power steering almost as much as the gears.

izzy

im working on an engine swap on a cruiser that looks like yours exactally. ya i just pulled the motor today and im beging to put a vortec 350 i n it next week i will let you know how it goes, or just stop by shaffers offroad

rusty_tlc

izzy said:
im working on an engine swap on a cruiser that looks like yours exactally. ya i just pulled the motor today and im beging to put a vortec 350 i n it next week i will let you know how it goes, or just stop by shaffers offroad
I plan to stick with the 2F until I can drive a little better. I might do a V8 swap in a year or two.

rusty_tlc

Spent a couple of hours dicking around trying to get my tranny/toybox/t-case in as a unit. Looks like I may need yo do a little cutting to clearence the t-case since it moved back 6". The chain hoist worked perfectly, I'll post pictures another day, to tired tonight. I used a 1-ton chain hoist and a 4X4 between the front hoop and center hoop of the roll cage to lift the drive train into position. It felt so much safer than a floor jack with a tranny adaptor. Plus I can rotate the whole shebang and move it forward and back with one hand.
No idea how much the assembly weighs but I'm guessing close to 300#.

rusty_tlc

SOme pics of my drive train install.
The chain harness I used to lift the drive train

The hoist rig my friend suggested

Trial run to check clerance.

Where I cut the floor board

In place

The new t-case mount goes in next.

rusty_tlc

Kinda PO'd. I got the brackets I need to attach my bumper yesterday and spent all day today running errands and food shopping. Maybe tommorow.

Sauce

looking good! when will it be ready? I said my rig was going to be done by july 1st and I am just finishing it up :crazy: