On-Board Air

Spence621

So I went to Harbor Freight today and picked up a 5 gallon portable air tank, 20' of 1/4 200 psi rated hose and a tire chuck. And a Machete. haha. All in all, about $42 bucks (about $37 for the non-machete parts). Ideas on where to put it in my rig? How to secure it? Thanks!
IMG_2054.jpg

RockRunner02

That thing is fawking huge! What kind of rig do you have to try and hide that thing in?? If you do a search of the forum there is a bunch of threads on this...

fj4play

So I went to Harbor Freight today and picked up a 5 gallon portable air tank, 20' of 1/4 200 psi rated hose and a tire chuck. And a Machete. haha. All in all, about $42 bucks (about $37 for the non-machete parts). Ideas on where to put it in my rig? How to secure it? Thanks!
IMG_2054.jpg

do you have a compressor

MotoMatt

That thing is fawking huge! What kind of rig do you have to try and hide that thing in?? If you do a search of the forum there is a bunch of threads on this...

x2. i think you would have been better off on a DIY powertank. you would be in <$100 from what ive heard

he has a 3rd gen 4Runner

Battlecock

IMG_2054.jpg

Perfect for a pool floatie!

y0da

Theres quite a few ways to go about it. If you plan on running a compressor off your engine, its quite simple. Find a york or RV2 compressor 42 dollars at pick n pull, time to fab a bracket, or have one made. You'll need an oil air seperator(12 on lowes), a pressure switch(32.99 from grainger), a check vavlve(6 dollars), a blowoff safety valve(6 dollars), misc T's and fitting(15 bucks), a switch for your dash(2.99 at radio crap), 12 or 14g wire, some ends, find a circuit to tie it into, I used my wiper circuit for ignition only power, and a few hours to plan it all out and do it. I just did this on my dodge, but already had the bracket and compressor, so I was less than 100 dollars into my entire project. Hit me up if your need help.

owenst7

ya that wont even do A 33 tire from 10 psi to street pressure FYI

I actually used to use an 11 gal that I would fill with an electric compressor. IF it was completely full at 120psi, it would barely fill my 4 34x10.50s from 10-20 psi. I had the compressors plumed in on a manifold and rarely ever did it that way unless I was loading other stuff in the truck while I was doing it. The last tire took forever so it only made sense when I could clip it on there and pack up my sleeping bag and stuff.

I would take all the fitttings off there and use teflon paste on all the threads if you're planning on carrying it around with air in it. Those cheap HF gauges and fittings will leak down slowly and you'll be disappointed 5 hours later if you were expecting it to still have full pressure.

Those tanks are really handy to have around. I've used Dom's 5 gal tank to seat beads several times. I would recommend getting a bigger electric compressor and cutting the hose and putting a barbed male disconnect on it. Then, you can fill your tank up and use it as a pressure bank.

You can use PV=nRT to figure out how much you can get out of that tank as far as filling up tires goes.

MotoMatt

My 20lb CO2 tank didn't last very long running air tools.....

i havent had any experience running air tools, i just heard its possible. but i think for airing up tires a CO2 setup would work way better than that air tank and in the long run cost just a little bit more.

Battlecock

i havent had any experience running air tools, i just heard its possible. but i think for airing up tires a CO2 setup would work way better than that air tank and in the long run cost just a little bit more.

Agreed. Without a compressor with it all the time, a stand alone air tank is pretty much worthless for filling tires.

Spence621

Man, wish I could've known that before I bought it. And in regard to the loss of pressure, I did teflon tape all the connections and tighten them really tight. My tires are only about 28", so that's a bit less volume to worry about. Also, I don't plan on going down that low, since I don't have bead-lock wheels, only down to the point where I get better conformity. When I test it out, I'll let you know how it goes. And no, I don't have a heavy duty compressor, but I can just fill it at the gas station when getting gas before headin out.

MotoMatt

Man, wish I could've known that before I bought it. And in regard to the loss of pressure, I did teflon tape all the connections and tighten them really tight. My tires are only about 28", so that's a bit less volume to worry about. Also, I don't plan on going down that low, since I don't have bead-lock wheels, only down to the point where I get better conformity. When I test it out, I'll let you know how it goes. And no, I don't have a heavy duty compressor, but I can just fill it at the gas station when getting gas before headin out.

i think your best bet is to return it while you can

Spence621

Theres quite a few ways to go about it. If you plan on running a compressor off your engine, its quite simple. Find a york or RV2 compressor 42 dollars at pick n pull, time to fab a bracket, or have one made. You'll need an oil air seperator(12 on lowes), a pressure switch(32.99 from grainger), a check vavlve(6 dollars), a blowoff safety valve(6 dollars), misc T's and fitting(15 bucks), a switch for your dash(2.99 at radio crap), 12 or 14g wire, some ends, find a circuit to tie it into, I used my wiper circuit for ignition only power, and a few hours to plan it all out and do it. I just did this on my dodge, but already had the bracket and compressor, so I was less than 100 dollars into my entire project. Hit me up if your need help.

Thanks for the offer, but I think that's a bit out of my league at the moment haha

MotoMatt

honestly. if you cant afford $100 for on board air don't get onboard air. because otherwise you are wasting your money that you can use later to get a good setup. IMHO

Spence621

I could afford it, I just don't want to haha. But thanks for your help, you're probably right. I'll test it out and get back to you guys.

maxamillion2345

Just purchased a Puma compressor with tank for my new OBA setup.

Still have my Viair in the for sale forum. It'd be perfect for your 28's. It'll air up all 4 of my 33s in about 25-30 minutes from 15 to 40 psi.

If not the MV50 is the way to go. I've seen em for sale at pepboys.