Painting the XJ yellow...

kairo

Staff member
Seriously thinking about it :biggrin: I'd be doing it myself of course. Maybe I could hide some scratches?? haha

Sauce

talk to dustin, he can get a killer deal on paint...I like yellow, it will kinda look like goatmans on naxja. Personally, I am going to paint mine burnt orange :D here is a pic of goatmans rig

standard.jpg

EricsXJ

I'll need to repaint mine sometime in the semi-near future as well. I recently noticed my paint is starting to get all these tiny cracks in it - I've heard that Daimler-Chryslers paint jobs suck and now I believe them. I have pinstriping from wheeling and some nasty scratches but those don't bother me as much as seeing the paint degrade on me as I do like to clean it up between trail rides... I figure in a year or so the jeep will be paid off. So I've got now until then to decide what I want to do. Same color? Rattle can camo? Rhino-liner?

kairo

Staff member
Rattle can camo has passed through my mind too. I did a boat once, and it turned out pretty sweet. Authentic camo though, not that military issue stuff.

Sauce

sorry, i think rattle can camo would be ugly, never seen one I have liked, but you might be the one to change my mind. If I was going to do it with a rattle can I would do it in flat black, easy color to touch up and easy to make it look decent. As far as the rhino liner goes, I thought it might be cool, but it fades over time and adds a ton of weight to your jeep, one estimate was 400 lb :eek: . Have you seen those real tree kits you can put on your jeep? I kind of dig this xj, you can buy the kits here

stkl.jpg

Last edited:

DBXJ

na paint it neon green put som 22in white rims and some blue neon under it LOL

ive been thinkin about paintin mine but somthin a little oddball

Zebaru

I have painted a ton of rigs (mediocre jobs at best), and I can say that white is without a boubt, the most forgiving color to work with. A light yellow would probably be pretty good as well. Wait, I have a car that is white and yellow, and the paint doesnt look nearly as bad as it really is - especially in the sunlight.

As for flats, I can say that they are a bitch to clean - you basically can't do it (my Zebaru was striped with flat white and black).

If you are looking for cheap, just go down to the hardware store, spend ten bucks on a quart of enamel, and spray it on. Looks better than a rattle can job, and is a bunch cheaper. I sprayed my second subaru with Rustoleum tan I think, and it still looks okay seven years later. I only used a quart of paint - $7.99 (XJ might take two). When the color starts to fade, pick another color and do it again...

Travis

olsen_karl

Zebaru said:
If you are looking for cheap, just go down to the hardware store, spend ten bucks on a quart of enamel, and spray it on.

Or for really cheap, get a gallon or two of clearance house paint ($1 per gallon at Lowe's), and brush it on. Nice thick coats = hard to scratch.

And post pics when you're done.

-Karl