Peavine in the Gazette-Journal today

NevadaXJ

As posted on www.rgj.com, in the local news section...

In an effort to address a ?free-for-all? situation damaging the landscape of Peavine Peak, the U.S. Forest Service is proposing a travel management plan to segregate differing types of vehicle recreation.

Under the plan, more than 100 miles of existing roads and trails would be kept open for Jeeps, motorcycles and mountain bikes. Seventy-five miles of roads would be closed, with the land rehabilitated as needed.

?What we?re trying to do is provide a quality recreation experience and still protect the resource,? said Larry Randall, recreation officer for the Carson Ranger District.

As the area grows explosively, Reno?s popular backyard mountain is suffering damage from increasing use and greater controls are necessary, Randall said.

?We have one of the fastest-growing areas in the country and Peavine is right next to one of the fastest-growing neighborhoods,? Randall said. ?If we don?t do something it will just continue to be a free-for-all.?

Currently, almost 200 miles of roads and trails criss-cross Peavine?s flanks and ridges, causing erosion and damaging meadows. Many roads lead to the same spot. Others ? such as old mining exploration routes ? are simply dead-ends.

The travel management plan would make the following changes:

* 46 miles of road would be designated as open to all motorized vehicles, with high-clearance vehicles recommended.

* 36 miles of two-track road would be open to off-highway vehicles such as Jeeps.

* Eight miles of single-track road would be open to motorized vehicles such as motorcycles.

* 22 miles of trails would be designated for nonmotorized uses such as mountain biking, horseback riding and hiking. Cross-country travel by mountain bikes would be prohibited.

* Designated routes would be mapped and signed, with the area patrolled by the Forest Service to enforce closures. Volunteers would be solicited from recreation groups to monitor the area and help with public education.

Carl Adams of the Washoe County Backcountry Coalition ? an organized group of motorcyclists, bicyclists, hikers and four-wheelers ? said he supports the proposal. The group was formed in early 2003 after the Forest Service announced preliminary plans to better manage Peavine recreation, with members demanding that access to the popular area be protected.

The new travel plan offers an acceptable compromise, Adams said.

?We believe the roads and trails they have designated are adequate for recreation,? Adams said, adding that the plan secures public access to the mountain and provides ?nice loops and breathtaking vistas.?

?We hate to have lost an inch of any roads or trails but on balance, we think it?s a good proposal,? Adams said.

Others view the idea with some concern.

Preparing for a mountain-bike ride one recent afternoon, Vincent Dercole of Reno said closure of 75 miles of roads and trails is too much.

And Dercole worries the move could lead to greater restrictions in the future ? particularly if recreation is concentrated in smaller areas and the land is damaged as a result.

?The more people you put into a small area, the worse it?s going to look,? Dercole said. ?Right now, everything is spread out.?

Dercole also said he is suspicious the government might ultimately aim to close access to the mountain altogether.

?They start small and then keep chipping away,? Dercole said. ?I think the whole purpose is to close the whole thing down.?

The Forest Service?s Randall insists that?s anything but the case.

?That mountain can provide a quality recreational experience for everyone,? Randall said. ?Now we?ve got some routes that make sense.?

RARECJ8

I'm on TV!

I was just interviewed by CH 2 News regarding the peavine plan. check it out tonight-- 5, 5:30 and maybe 11pm.

the plan is just no good for the 4x4 community, but its too late to complain-- the public comment period closed and the anti access comments were 20 to 1 in favor of closures versus keeping roads open. Seems like the 4x4 community is the last to take action and the first to complain when its closed.

anyone on this list send in written comments on the peavine plan? I did...

mb

Sasquatch

Premium Member
I noticed that the forest service guys have been closing trails around peavine a couple of weeks ago. I can't complain cause I've seen what people have done to the area, leaving their trash and stuff lying around, but it sucks as well. Oh well, that's the price we pay for stupid people I guess.

DBXJ

well they do have lists of when they have theses meetings and what not dont they, im thinkin we should show up to one
and i think this is sprouting from the car they found in the pond up there

Last edited:

RARECJ8

Darn, I got skunked at 11! My mug got on at 5pm, but not 5:30 or 11. Sheesh, no one is home to watch the 5 o'clock news. No real mention at 5:30 but the 11 news had two anti access wenches.

No, its not just one car in a pond. Kiowa? That happens all too often. But really, the problem is not just a dumped car here, an old stove shot to hell there, or all the beer cans and glass, landscaping debris, old tires...whatever... its all of that together and more. One little trash pile dumped in the hills adds up when 100s of other idiots do the same. I'm a shooter but i have to say some lazy. slob shooters bring crap into the hills to destroy, leave the remains along with empty beer bottles, all their brass and empty shell boxes. It's all the above and more. Pretty soon, its all trashed and the politically correct crybabies say let's close the trails so dumpers or partiers cannot get there. Pooey! Thats like saying to prevent injuries, lets just close the emergency room. makes no sense... but closures are the politically correct way to appease the complainers and, sadly, maybe a taste of things to come.

Anyway, the next big battle is the Martis Strategy-- that covers the land between reno and truckee, on the south side of 80. Hunter lake trail is safe, but many trails in that area are proposed to be decommissioned, aka plowed under. Bronco creek, Deep creek and basically all the loop/stem roads and anything north of big meadows is proposed to be closed, open only to hiking and mountainbiking. Ironically, they claim, in part, the closures are needed because they cannot affort to patrol the area, so its cheaper to pay a crew w/ a D9 cat to plow it under... BTW, there will be a fall class to be 'certified' (thru the USFS and United 4 Wheel Drive, the national organization) for "Trail Patrol." They'll kick in shirts, special magnetic door decals, VHF radios, etc. to volunteer to 'patrol' a certain trail or area. In other awords, a trail run. There are about 25 seats in the upcoming class (takes a full day), so if interested anyone, it'll happen in mid to late October.

That public comment period for martis will soon open-- i have the report, in two volumes, about 50 pages, maps, etc., and it is very troublesome. I can bring it to a meeting sometime. Many uinacceptable reccomendations, so stay tuned on this latest fight. if we lose trails in the marits plan, then soon we'll eventually be locked out of more places, not just peavine or mt rose area.

mb

kairo

Staff member
Post up whenever we can come and speak on behalf of the 4x4 community. I know I will attend if I'm able, and I'm sure many others here will too.

EricsXJ

RARECJ8 said:
BTW, there will be a fall class to be 'certified' (thru the USFS and United 4 Wheel Drive, the national organization) for "Trail Patrol." They'll kick in shirts, special magnetic door decals, VHF radios, etc. to volunteer to 'patrol' a certain trail or area. In other awords, a trail run. There are about 25 seats in the upcoming class (takes a full day), so if interested anyone, it'll happen in mid to late October.

Mark, count me in on this. I'll have my book done by then and have more time. Lately finishing the book is all I am doing besides my 9 to 5 job. BTW, there is a section in the book that talks about responsible use, etc.

This Peavine thing is unfortunate but I don't think it could have been avoided. Its not us that is the problem. Its the uneducated masses that think its OK to go out in the hills and tear it up. With Peavine being so close its bound to happen. I just hope our favorite parts of the mountain remain open (Bud Canyon?) and wouldn't mind more enforcement to keep the yahoo's away, but I seriously doubt that will happen. The sad thing is, these yahoos will go up there anyway, and force the USFS to close even more, all the while we get blamed...

DBXJ

EricsXJ said:
Mark, count me in on this. I'll have my book done by then and have more time. Lately finishing the book is all I am doing besides my 9 to 5 job. BTW, there is a section in the book that talks about responsible use, etc.

This Peavine thing is unfortunate but I don't think it could have been avoided. Its not us that is the problem. Its the uneducated masses that think its OK to go out in the hills and tear it up. With Peavine being so close its bound to happen. I just hope our favorite parts of the mountain remain open (Bud Canyon?) and wouldn't mind more enforcement to keep the yahoo's away, but I seriously doubt that will happen. The sad thing is, these yahoos will go up there anyway, and force the USFS to close even more, all the while we get blamed...

i agree 100% with ya and count me in too
is there any way for clubs and what not to adopt trails to help keep them open i know thats what a few clubs up in wash. and orgeon have done this

kairo

Staff member
DBXJ said:
i agree 100% with ya and count me in too
is there any way for clubs and what not to adopt trails to help keep them open i know thats what a few clubs up in wash. and orgeon have done this

Hills angels have adopted Hunter lake and Moonrocks I think. Maybe that would be a good idea for our group to move towards. Bronco canyon perhaps?

RARECJ8

Bronco Canyon is on private property so its unlikely an adoption can/will happen. We did lose Zukes Canyon on Peavine and Bud was also in their sights-- and still is-- the USFS is taking a wait, watch and see approach. Their big concerns have to do w/ rigs that get too far in and rather than turn around, climb out up the hill side and thats what really rankles the federales, 'scarring the hillsides', plus vehicle fluid spills, etc. The canyon is named after a beer bottle little joe spied and trash as well can be a problem, althoi recently, Bud is pretty clean of trash.

One possible idea is to 'adopt' Bud canyon. They don't want to post informational signs at entrance-- its one of those trails that unless you know whewre it is, u'll just drive right past it. They suggest signs, etc further up the canyon out of sight from the access road but still educational stuff for those that venture around the 1st corner.

After you adopt the trail, u'll get cool stickers. Then u get to 'patrol' ur adopted trail. The guy to talk to is Larry Anderson in the carson city field office. # in book. Sadly, the HA stickers on HLT are repeatedly vandalized-- for reasons only God knows, the a$$hats take a razor blade and cut out the HA logo from the signs, or shoot them full of holes or, in the recent case, destroy the entire bulletin board. C'mon, we volunteer many hours of OUR OWN TIME to help educate trail users and bust our humps to pour the concrete, etc. only to have some idiots come along and destroy all that work for Ss & Gs. Maybe they view the vandalism as an act of civil disobediance-- fight the feds, oppose gubbermint regulations, whatever---they're only shooting themselves in the foot.

Stay tuned for the trail patrol class-- its a great opportunity-- we'll get instruction in first aid, radio protocool, how to document abusive conduct, get out and enjoy the trails, and i'll have no bad feelings at all busting some punk not treading lightly or trashing an area. Most of the problems are teenagers drinking in the hills on fri/sat nights, and usually its close to the access point (like kings row-- they park right behind the homes and toss the empties in the owners' yards-- minors don't want to be caught w/ emptries, right).

OK, off soapbox.

mb

Last edited: