Pitbull Rockers

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Alex (WhiteZJ) and I recently helped my buddy Dave with a rebuild of his Bronco. The Bronco looked cool on 35s but had whacked out steering geometry, a hashed tranny, open diffs with stock gears, and dinky drum brakes. We set out to fix all of that by adding:

-4.10s and lockers (Lockrite in front, Detroit in rear)
-31 spline Yukon chromo rear axle shafts
-Bulletproof steering and track bar (VERY nice!)
-Rebuilt C4
-New tranny cooler
-Rebuilt Dana 20
-Front disc brakes
-35" Pitbull Rockers

Although it is not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison between the old tires and the new ones, so far our impressions are that the Pit Bulls are awesome! I admit that the looks are still growing on me, but they seem to work and that is what matters. We had Aaron at Big O mount them up and took a bunch of measurements and weight. The tires measured 35.5" when mounted on 10" wide steel wheels and the tires alone weighed 55 pounds each. They are WIDE too, barely fitting on the 10" wide wheels.

After the rig was rebuilt Dave and Alex headed up to Budweiser to test everything out. Unfortunately the front Lockrite broke, but it has since been replaced and further testing will be occurring shortly. I expect these tires to work really well in the sand and the snow too since they are sort of crowned and really spread out when you air them way down.

The Bronco:

test2.jpg

Sidewall Flex (and they are brand new!):

flex.jpg

Another pic from Budweiser:

test1.jpg

Dirty Harry

Staff member
That is a big neg-o-tory. Alex got to the first obstacle (where the crushed car is) but was getting hung up on his muffler and rear control arm mounts. He has been eyeing the axles under my F-150 lately though and talking about long arms...

Dirty Harry

Staff member
BigNorm said:
Thanx for posting up on those tires. I've been looking at them. Do they make those bigger than 35s?

Yeah Norm they make 37s and I *think* that the 39s are available now too. Prices are a little higher than Swampers but less than stuff like the PJ Dirt Grips, Pro Comp X Terrains, and BFG Krawlers. These seem to be a little rounder and quieter than Swampers too, Dave uses the Bronco for his daily driver in Truckee and even with the top off he said that they are not too loud. Two of the tires took 4 ounces to balance, one took 9 ounces, and the last one took 11 ounces. The wheels were fairly beat up though so that probably contributed at least as much as the tires.

Norm the Big

So that's the most agressive tread of the 3 types they make? They look pretty cool. There advertisements make them look kinda hokey.

PizzaJeep

i was wondering about those guys tooo .... where the HELL has alex and his ZJ been????

for a while i thought he sold it and bought a ricer or something.. maybe a subaru

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
that's some nice sidewall flex. if only they made a skinnier tire in 35" diameter, i'd try them.

Rocker - rockcrawling
tire_rocker.gif

Maddog - mud terrain
tire_maddog.gif

Growler - all terrain
tire_growler.gif

Dirty Harry

Staff member
PizzaJeep said:
i was wondering about those guys tooo .... where the HELL has alex and his ZJ been????

for a while i thought he sold it and bought a ricer or something.. maybe a subaru

After riding in my Evolution I don't think that Alex will be looking for any Subarus. :no: He was home in Idaho for the summer but is back at UNR for school now and should be around a lot more.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
The tires are definitely wide, so much so that they rub in the rear on the shocks when they are aired down. Wheel spacers or different wheels would help but the stance is already pretty wide. Jimmy Nylund (from Fourwheeler magazine) is running the Growlers now and told me that they work even better than the Rockers in his opinion because the carcass is the same but the tread blocks are smaller so they REALLY flex. We might take a grooving iron to Dave's tires but they are working really well as is so that is not a priority.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
samco fab said:
What broke in his Lockrite?

Sam the Lockrite was used and it was pretty hashed. The "teeth" were all rounded off and the couplers were cracking on the surfaces around the pins and springs. It has since been replaced with a new Lockrite.

Sauce

Dirty Harry said:
The tires are definitely wide, so much so that they rub in the rear on the shocks when they are aired down. Wheel spacers or different wheels would help but the stance is already pretty wide. Jimmy Nylund (from Fourwheeler magazine) is running the Growlers now and told me that they work even better than the Rockers in his opinion because the carcass is the same but the tread blocks are smaller so they REALLY flex. We might take a grooving iron to Dave's tires but they are working really well as is so that is not a priority.
samco has a bad azz tire groover, give him a call and he can hook you up for a great price. He just did my mtrs and they are much better than before.

Sauce

dang I am sexy, thanks for the picture denis. The center sections were worn down flat, so he put kind of an x down the middle and then took some off of the side lugs. Another fine example of sams mad tire groovin skillz
From this
Baja-TA-Race-Lge-Web_small.jpg

To this
IMG_4040.JPG

He did all 4 tires in about an hour and a half.