Portable Hot Water Heater

no-idea

The heat exchanger. Say the batteries run out on the tent heater, without the fan the heat exchanger melts down. They have no over temp shut-off system on any of their products.

im asking about the water heater? how does the water heater melt?

Brigitta

I've wanted one of the types mentioned here but it always seems the solar shower and a rope over a tree limb works good. BTW, many places sell a adapter so that you may refill the green coleman tanks and need not toss them out. Couple years back camping at eagle lake a ranger busted some poor fool using a zodi since he was not using a catch basin and the soapy water was just running onto the ground. Hummm.... If too near a stream or water source i can see why discharging onto the ground might not be good, even w/ so-called biodrgradable soaps. Seems its best to be as far away from water source as possible. That = lots of hose. All told i like LDs proven method of the on board exchanger-- still have to use hoses but its one less thing to pack, haul and maintain.

good luck
We've got the solar shower but we try to camp in the trees so chasing the sunny through the trees isn't very effective. As for the soap, I'd be willing to skip it to just get that top layer of dirt off!!!! However, we pack our gear in "Action Packer's" so it would be easy to fill it and move away from any water source. Thanks for the heads up on the soap issue!!

Got4wd

Spend the money and buy the r&m hot water shower. It's by far the best one out there. Mines over 10 years old and comes off the vehicle when I sell them. I never open the hood and it's nice never to run out of hot water.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
yeah yeah, i tried that first bjut after calling them a few times and they never answer the call, google found the posted link to hot camp showers. so thats the question, are they in business or kaput?

Got4wd

yeah yeah, i tried that first bjut after calling them a few times and they never answer the call, google found the posted link to hot camp showers. so thats the question, are they in business or kaput?
I have talked to them a few times in the past. His wife usually answers the phone. They have regular jobs and he does this on the side. Talked to them last year so hopefully they are still in business. Nice people.

BurbanHunter

I have biodegradable "camp soap", just the cheap stuff you can get at Wally-World. Would this stuff be okay to use near a water source??? While it doesn't work as well as shampoo and real soap, it would be great for eliminating a layer of dirt and trail grime.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
I have talked to them a few times in the past. His wife usually answers the phone. They have regular jobs and he does this on the side. Talked to them last year so hopefully they are still in business. Nice people.

just got this email. bummer.

Hi Mark
They stopped manufacturing last year. I keep hoping they will start up again. You can get a Glind from Australia. They are also
pretty good quality.
Thank you
Paul Decker
Decker's Hot Camp Showers
www.hotcampshowers.com
707-778-6429

69cj5

I have biodegradable "camp soap", just the cheap stuff you can get at Wally-World. Would this stuff be okay to use near a water source??? While it doesn't work as well as shampoo and real soap, it would be great for eliminating a layer of dirt and trail grime.
Typically not. Even nuclear waste is biodegradeable with enough time. The "biodegradable" soap is not that much different from regular soap. Best to keep direct drainage away from the stream if at all possible. Ok, ok, yea I have done it too, but that doesn't make it right...

RARECJ8

Premium Member
Hmm.. I am sensing a business opportunity here.
x2

the exchangers are the only 'difficult' component-- the rest of the components are easy: hose, electrical, a 12 VDC pump, pre-filter and related hardware. A quick connect for the hoses is nice-- they make them for garden hoses like on a pressure washer, but not a big problem.

Got4wd

Glad I didn't rid of mine then. That sucks. Maybe it's time to take mine apart and copy the insides for my buddy. He's been wanting mine.