Preventing Toyota Rusting

Spence621

I've noticed a bit of rust on my frame and inside my bumpers (the chrome ones for now) on my 2001 4Runner. What should I do to get rid of it/stop it from spreading?

RockRunner02

Buy good paint and primer. Then follow the directions on the cans. Frame rust is serious stuff. If you don't take care of it, it can spread like wildfire.

Spence621

Buy good paint and primer. Then follow the directions on the cans. Frame rust is serious stuff. If you don't take care of it, it can spread like wildfire.
To do it right, Wouldn't that require having the frame totally bare? The top of it wouldn't get any treatment

RockRunner02

To do it right, Wouldn't that require having the frame totally bare? The top of it wouldn't get any treatment

Well I guess if you wanted to do it "right" you would do a complete frame off jobber.

To check the top of the frame get an inspection mirror and a flashlight. There is plenty of room to get in there and sand it down. Then just spray up there real well.

mouth

Ive never used it but from what ive heard youll hate your life if you ever need to take it off. I would just sand and paint.

mind eraser

Ive never used it but from what ive heard youll hate your life if you ever need to take it off. I would just sand and paint.

yep. its a pain to get off, but if you do the job correctly, which means you really should do a frame off, sand or beadblast the metal, coat with POR, then coat with undercoating. if you do the job like that, you will never need to remove it, with the exception of a small area for welding brackets or whatever.

+1 on the POR 15. Don't bother with paint or rubber undercoatin unless you want to be doing the same job again in the next 5-10 years.