Push or drag, A welding technique question

rusty_tlc

I'm learning how to weld again after a 25 year break. I borrowed a MIG welder from a friend to complet a bunch of small welding jobs on my Cruiser. After reading the users manual and a couple of "how to" books I settled on the forward zig zag motion. I like it because I can watch the puddle and see when I get good penetration. A friend advised that I try a drag motion because it produced a smoother weld and better penetration.

What works best for you?

Norm the Big

It's push most of the time. Push a mig. Pull a stick on flat welding. Push stick upwards on verticle and overhead. I don't know about TIG. I'm not that cool.

PizzaJeep

depends on what your welding(angle-wise) its good to drag when welding down something- the puddle goes down with gravity. otherwise pushing is good on flat surfaces. even at that, it just depends on my position with the welder and what angle im welding at or what im welding on... i cant say ive ever thought about it that much- its more of a feel and finding what works best for you. if you havent welded for 25 years, you better practice just making random weld beads on something to get a feel before you go and weld something important

Norm the Big

It depends on what you're using too. I use 7018 rod most of the time. The way I described is how I was taught at the community college. 7018 produces alot of slag so running it up vertical helps keep the slag out of the weld more. I'm no pro by any means. I'm here to learn. :)

Connect

Well the way they taught it in shop class was basically the way pizza described, but it seems to work fine either way with my mig. Except I think (I never did it) that when welding on a vertical surface you push the pool up with a mig (controls the pool when in an 90 angle)

JOE THE TOE

I've Always Been A Puller,they Look Nice & None Have Ever Broke............but That Does'nt Meen Their Right,just My Experience As A Professional Teach-your-self-welder.how-'bout-it!!!! :D