Quick Answer!!!

rockrawler81

ok...i just found a ford explorer shot to death but the ford 8.8 was in good condition...the only question i have is would it be worth it to go and get it? it has drum brakes and it might have 27 or 31 splines in the axle? is it worth it?

Sauce

rockrawler81 said:
ok...i just found a ford explorer shot to death but the ford 8.8 was in good condition...the only question i have is would it be worth it to go and get it? it has drum brakes and it might have 27 or 31 splines in the axle? is it worth it?
how much?

deadandcompany

I was up riding last week and saw it, the rear 8.8 is a junk axle. It has crappy C-clips that suck to change when you break on the trail. I had a 8.8 and quickly got rid of it! Fords best product was the 9".

DBXJ

well its free and u can get c-clip eliminator kits for it
but if u can get a ford 9 " for the same price go for it

i think there was a thread on pirate about the pros and cons of it

Sauce

DBXJ said:
well its free and u can get c-clip eliminator kits for it
but if u can get a ford 9 " for the same price go for it

i think there was a thread on pirate about the pros and cons of it
what is it with you and c-clip eliminator kits? Just buy what you want and run it.

Sauce

I guess it depends on what you are going to do with your rig. What kind of plans do you have for it (I.E. tire size, locker, etc)

rockrawler81

so what do you think i should do- get that axle and beef it up, or my friend has a full width ford 9in. i just thought it would be easier to just do the 8.8 because it has all the right specs- 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, just about the same width (1in.-3/4" off center). should i just get the 9 in and shink it down (get it narrowed) to 60 and whatever inches? if you got it just right- down so you can still order like some axleshafts from currie or just the right size for my YJ.? or should i just save up some money and just get a whole axle from currie. I jsut want the best possible combination for the "al-right" price. I want to run a spring- over with arbs and 35" tires

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
find a good late model 8.8 axle. yes, it's a c-clip axle, but shafts are way stronger than D35 and you will have to try hard to break them with 35s. 95+ 8.8s come with disc brakes and 31 spline shafts.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
DBXJ said:
well i looked an elimnator kits is 140 at summit

it's not worth it, it will take a lot to break an 8.8 shaft. c-clips are not the weak point of 8.8.