Quick Question

Scrub

Sometimes when i go to start my jeep it makes an awful grinding noise, if i let off the key and then try it again it catchs and starts up. i'm wondering if it is the starter or something else causeing it not to catch and grind? just wanna get some opinons before i start throwning money at it.

86xjfor8

Scrub said:
Sometimes when i go to start my jeep it makes an awful grinding noise, if i let off the key and then try it again it catchs and starts up. i'm wondering if it is the starter or something else causeing it not to catch and grind? just wanna get some opinons before i start throwning money at it.
Sounds like the starter is only engaging part way that could be from old age or not enough current going thrue the starting cylinoid also pull the little inspection cover off the bell housing of your trans see how the teeth look on the flywheel and if you feel ambisious pull the starter and check the teeth on that

Scrub

Hrm....more stuff to do tomorrow. My starter looks bad from the outside looks like the Previous Owner Decided that it would be a good idea to Give the Starter a Good Coating of Lithium Grease Every So Often.....so ive check it out tomorrow.

Thanks

DBXJ

yea that happens i havnt had it happen yet but it happens to my moms GC but i dont think its anything to worry about though i would check your wires and what not on yours

Connect

Or you can do the lazy thing and just replace the starter with a junkyard one and hope it fixes it :)

Is it the same noise as when you try and start the engine when its already running?

DBXJ

well the engine in his wasnt maintained properly before he got it i would put my finger on the wires being either loose or they need replacing