Radios. FSR/CB/2M

rusty_tlc

We did a run to High Rock canyon this weekend. I pulled my CB and used a magnetic base antenna & cigarette lighter adapter, but I was the only one.
We all used FSR sets. It seems everybody has a couple laying around. On the trail they work just as good as CB since you usually stay line of sight with the rest of the group. They are easy to move from rig to rig and if you want to head up trail to check things out you can clip one to your belt and stay in touch.

If you want to contact anybody very far away, say in an emergency, you need 2M set and repeater codes.

So why does anybody waste time on CB's?

rusty_tlc

I don't think range is the issue. CB is pretty worthless in mountains or canyons, typicaly where you would be wheeling around here.

I think it's because the antenna looks cool. :cool:

Styx

Two antennas looks cooler! But realistically GMS or FRS does work pretty well for most short range communication. A well set up CB can have some impressive range though, particularly at night, for emergencies. Also you can normally communicate with rescue services over CB.

rusty_tlc

StyxNBones said:
Two antennas looks cooler! But realistically GMS or FRS does work pretty well for most short range communication. A well set up CB can have some impressive range though, particularly at night, for emergencies. Also you can normally communicate with rescue services over CB.
I like my Cobra GMS radios, pproblem is everybody else uses FSR.

I'm really just trying to convince myself to spend the time to get my tech licence and buy a 2M set-up. Besides then I could have two antennas like the cool kids. :D