rattleing sound "help"

mark

;) have a 91 yj. I have this annoying rattle. it sounds like its in the front end somewhere. more promininant on the right side of the jeep. it sounds like a shock. the sound happens when i go over a man hole cover or a road with pot holes in it. possibly in between the fire wall and the inside cab? kind of a metal to metal sound. I am chasing my tail. several people have looked at it and we cant figure this out.i have replaced my shocks, ball joints,leaf springs, bushings in springs and shackels. removed sway bars, disconnected my disconnects, tie rod ends. iv'e also inspected every mount and checked for cracks.very annoying,turning up the radio is the only thing that seems to help. does anyone have any suggestions? sounds and runs great on a smooth road. thinking about taking it to the jeep dealer, thay have one of those microphone things they hook up to locate the sound,wonder how much that will cost?

Last edited:

Fish Sticks

Have you checked your exhaust system. Check all the mounts and rattle the cat. Cats become noisey, most fall apart inside as they age.

mark

yes, in fact the sound was there before i installed the new exhaust system. it might be considered more of a clunking rather than a rattle. i also failed to mention i installed new tranny mount.

mark

it really sounded like a ball joint or a shock but believe it or not the sound came from the back of the hood near the fire wall the inner flange of the hood was hitting the chassis and resonating through the metal, sounding like it was coming from the passenger side floor board. i thought it might be the battery so i lifted the hood and noticed a shiney spot of bare metal. the flange actually wore a groove in the metal. than i closed the hood with a shop rag wedged in the hood at that groove and took the jeep for one of several test drives.oh yea i also removed the doors thinking it might be a door vibration. need less to say it was in fact the hood. my how sound travels. problem solved.