Ring & Pinion setup?

sten_mitchell

IS swapping an r&p really that hard? It sounds pretty complicated from what I've read but was just wondering who has done this and if they might provide help setting up some toy 3rds...... I dont have the gears yet I was just going to see if I could get some help. Thanks!

PizzaJeep

its not that hard to do.. you need a few tools... like a dial indicator to check backlash and an inch pound torque wrench to check bearing preload.. optional is a bearing puller- but.. it takes time and a little knowledge..

if your setting up an axle thats on your daily driver... like your rear axle.. its worth the time to get it done professionally- that way you know it will be set up right...
i just got done building two dana44 axles- i set up the front myself only because i am only riding on the gears when its in 4wheel drive, and i have manual hubs so its only then spinning when the hubs are locked...i had the rear setup by driveline service even though i could do it, but i just wanted the peace of mind knowing that it was done as perfect as possible and i wont ever have to worry about it failing.. and if it does.. its under warranty

deadandcompany

Gears are not too hard at all to set up, like Pizza said "you need the right tools". My brother and I just set mine up in my garage, was easy. If you are doing a Toy 3rd, pull it out and take it to someone to set up. That will save you some $$$. If even then it is too expensive, let me know. I can help you out.

-Aaron