San Francisco bans handguns

NevadaXJ

Wow.... just wow.... personally I would be looking for a new city to move to....

Turn 'em in, folks!

San Francisco voters took a stand Tuesday against military recruitment on public school campuses, voted to keep firehouses open and approved the nation's toughest ban on handguns by making it illegal for city residents to possess them.

Proposition H, which requires city residents who already own guns to turn them in to police by April 1, was winning 58 percent to 42 percent with 98 percent of precincts counted.

The measure also makes it illegal to buy, sell, distribute and manufacture firearms and ammunition in the city.

Only two other cities in the country -- Washington, D.C., and Chicago -- have similar bans.

"San Francisco voters are smart and believe in sensible gun control," said Supervisor Chris Daly, who was among the four board members who placed the measure on the ballot. "If Prop. H gets some handguns out of San Francisco and mitigates some of the violence, then it's a win."

Prop. H opponents said a ban on handguns will not reduce crime, because criminals aren't likely to turn in their guns.

They also said the measure will be subject to costly legal challenges in court.

"It's not a solution (to gun violence)," said Mike Ege, a board member of the Coalition Against Prohibition. "Most people don't like guns, but they don't want the opportunity to access them taken away, because sometimes bad things happen to good people."

Scrub

uhm.....they better be giving full price back to the people for those guns.....F*ck that!!!

DBXJ

that goes agenst the 2nd amendment .....the right to bare arms....

and if i remeber correctly austrailia tried the same thing a crime went up.......

flyboy

AMEN DBXJ!!!!
I dont understand how they can get away with that when it is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT. Its not the legitimate hand gun owners that are the problem...I dont get why people cant see that.
F*&K that whole firggin state. I hope it breaks off into the ocean.
Florida made it legal to carry and within the first month...crime went down by 10%.

I LOVE NEVADA!!!

Flyboy

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
criminals who want to carry guns will still have them, while private citizens will have nothing to defend themselves with. just a bunch of loosers. screwed up just like Lombard street.

scottb

Like many other large cities, Washington, D.C., has enacted a number of strict gun control laws. Handguns have been outlawed (unless registered as of February 5, 1977), carrying guns (concealed or not) is prohibited, and all guns and ammunition must be registered [1]. Critics, citing numerous statistics, have questioned the efficacy of these restrictions, and some consider the ban a violation of the 2nd Amendment protections on bearing arms. The combination in Washington of strict gun control laws and high levels of gun violence is sometimes used to criticize gun control laws in general as ineffectual. Critics using this example fail to mention that it is relatively easy to obtain guns in neighboring states with laxer gun control laws, especially Virginia. There are no mechanisms in place to prevent guns obtained outside the city from being bought into D.C. (such as checkpoints, etc.). Therefore, the inflow of guns purchased outside the city in states where gun control laws are less stringent compromises the city's own strict regulations. Regardless, due to its prominence as the national capital, its strict gun control laws and its reputation as the former "murder capital" of the U.S., Washington has become something of a popular example in the wider debate on gun control. [2]

Yeah, places that have enacted gun control to the max have had increased crime rates whereas places with laws like AZ, NV, and Fl have had decreases in gun crime. stupid people dont realize that if your going to murder someone your not going to obey the law (ie breaking gun control law is a lot more minor than murder)

this **** pisses me off "the people" only applies to the citizens in all the other ammendments, but in the 2nd it is in regards to Militias... bullshit. this is getting to be an F'd up country. at least the NRA is trying to be proactive about it...

NevadaXJ

DBXJ said:
that goes agenst the 2nd amendment .....the right to bare arms....

They can still own guns.... just not handguns. Shotguns and rifles are still allowed, of course, as long as they meet cali's ridiculous rules...

sten_mitchell

NevadaXJ said:
They can still own guns....
For now.... Guaranteed that even if crime rates go up they will try to take other guns away too and they will be followed by other cities and states too, until we cannot challenge the local or federal government in any way....

Connect

If its illegal to sell/buy guns in the city, I hope the mean handguns cause that would be alot of gun business's taking one up the rear.

I had no idea all those :rainbow: gangs we're terrorizing "Wis there 9mm's, cause they are so cutes, it fits right in there pursess"

It's ok, oakland will be teh **** now :)

scottb

even though you can own a rifle- you cant buy ammo in the city... nice move jackasses. god i hate these people. especially when they move to areas and by overwhelming the natives take away their voting powers and make it shitty like their home...

kairo

Staff member
"turn in your guns" or what? have them forcibly removed? will they forclose your mortgage and make you leave??? WTF

over my dead body :rainbow: :rainbow:

Styx

Private party sale is the only way to by a gun now days. That way no one knows you have it. If it didn't spread so easily I'd say go ahead and let Cali self destruct.:nuke:

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
here are some statistics:

SF has a violent crime rate 24% higher than the national average. They fair a bit better with property crimes with a rate 12% higher than the national average. While most of the United States is enjoying reductions in violent crime, the SF actually boasts an increase. In 2003, the city had 69 murders, while the most recent FBI report shows 88 murders. The city also had more aggravated assaults, as well.

we'll see where they go from here. stupid libs.

Sierra Valley

StyxNBones said:
Private party sale is the only way to by a gun now days. That way no one knows you have it. If it didn't spread so easily I'd say go ahead and let Cali self destruct.:nuke:

I couldnt agree w/ you more. I dont think there are any guns in our house since I've been born that havent been private party. Libs are dumb.