Schoolbus Canyon? 9/24 or 25

Zebaru

Gettin tired of spending all my time building... How about something fun and easy for those of us that remain less than hardcore? (The hardcore are of course welcome, but would find this remarkably boring...)

We talked about a run up to find/run schoolbus canyon, but as far as I know, we've never actually done one. I'm still not entirely sure where it is, but I can take a good guess...

I would like to wander up there this weekend (9/24 or 25), and see what I can find. Anybody else interested in going? The location is something like 40 miles north of Fernley on the far side of lake Winnemucca. The terrain around the dry lake is fine for stockers, and, although I have never been up the canyon, based on the pictures I have seen, it seems pretty laid back as well.

If there is interest, we can work out the when/where specifics...

Travis

Sasquatch

Premium Member
I'd like to get the Brat out for a run. I have to work weekends, but I may be able to call in I guess. :) I'll see when we get times and dates goin.

EricsXJ

I can't tell you for sure if I'll make it until later in the week, but I am thinking of going if its on Saturday.

Here's the area - a pic from last time we went, but found ourselves in a different canyon that lead to the Nightingale Mines.

pyramid1214.jpg

Zebaru

So how about meeting at the Love's truckstop in Fernley at 10:00AM Saturday?

I would like to accomodate as many people as possible here, so let me know if that works. I have the entire weekend free, so either day works fine for me. I think it is in our interest to start no later than mid-morning since this will take half a day at least.

Travis

Connect

Saturday sounds good, I'm down for canyons but if we find a mine by chance we should check it out (ghost town stuff is so sweet)

86xjfor8

A buddy of mine gave me some info on a site that shows pics and a some what detailed discription if anyone is interested. www.4wheelnoffroad.com when you are on the main page click on the 4X4 club link and you will see a list of different runs and school bus canyon is in there

Zebaru

That article was what originally gave us the idea way back when (I think...).

Now that I have re-read that, it looks like there is alot of opportunity to get out and explore in the area. We can spend all day out there wandering up various canyons if we want. I am always up for checking out mines, old building ruins, and that sort of thing.

I will put my maps together, and try to figure out where they went, so I at least have a starting point for our trip. I will bring my GPS so even if we don't know where we are going, we will know where we went, and can use that to make a better trip next time.

I am looking forward to this one...

Travis

Fish Sticks

SSHHHHH Icksnay on giving the nearby location of the "mystery" canyonhay. Spoons going to get fired up again and threads will be closed. :yup:

Connect

Is love's the one on the north side of 80 in fern?

This looks like quite an adventure if we do even half of what that trip did. Looks like lunch and some spare gas :)

Zebaru

Yes - Love's is on the North side of I-80 in Fernley.

The updated list:

me (Zebaru)
Connect
NexadaXJ
Kairo
EricsXJ

For those that have said they are going, please post up if you change your mind, run into problems, etc... I will check Saturday morning before I leave my house (like 9:45 since I live in Fernley), and that way we won't have to wait around for people who aren't going to show.

I'm guessing 100 - 150 miles for this trip. I don't think bringing extra gas will be necessary. We probably should all plan to bring a lunch, whatever other food will be necessary to keep us going into the evening - and plenty of water.

Travis

Last edited: