shall we re-schedule the Strawberry / Deer Valley run?

choose whats best for you

• May 21 - 22 stick with the original plan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May 28 - 29 Memorial Day weekend

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • June 4 - 5

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricsXJ

Since there is so much snow up there and the trail and campground are not open yet, theres no way to tell if it'll be melted enough by the 21'st. Both these trails climb up quite a bit in elevation and decend also. If the snow is deep, we would not make it through.

So, what do you guys think about moving the date one or two weekends back to take advantage of a little less snow? Let me know what you prefer. If we move the Strawberry Run, maybe we could do a more local trail on the 21'st anyway. Keep in mind we also have the Rubicon trip the last week of June.

kairo

Staff member
kick it back as far as possible. Make sure alll the snow's gone!

We can always do a local run in the mean time like you said

EricsXJ

I know what you mean. Gotta leave a little time between then and the Rubicon though for everyone to make repairs (or upgrades!) if needed. The Rubicon dates are set in stone for me since I took that whole week off work.

Strwaberry Creek and Deer Valley are GREAT trails - it'll be a disappointment if snow prevents us from experiencing them all the way through!

blackwidow

well im up for puttin it off for a later date and just doin some local fun.....Alex (whitezj) said he has found several trails around the area that show some promising wheelin'.

EricsXJ

heck - maybe I oughta check with work and see if June 11 - 12 is available... that would leave 2 weeks before the Rubicon.

kairo

Staff member
blackwidow said:
We just need like a week of 90 degree weather and that snow will melt for us :yup:

true....however it's supposed to start snowing again up there as of tomorrow. Us wheelers just can't get a break!

4xyota

ya I was going to say my boss went snowmobiling up their last weekend and, I know none of you guy's want to be making snowmen while diggind the rig's out up their plus I dont know if I whould have been able to make that run on the 21'st I am going camping one way or another though :D

jitami

EricsXJ said:
If anyone is interested, here are some snow pictures from the Rubicon on April 29th, 2005. We should expect just as much if not more on the upper elevations of Strawberry. They don't think the 'Con will be suitable for wheeling on Memorial Day. http://www.johnarenz.com/Rubicon.html

Ditto what Eric said... we've also been wheeling about 10 years and have never seen this much snow in the Loon Lake/Wentworth Springs area this late in the year. I would be suprised if people are doing the Rubicon Memorial Day wknd. We went up for some fun Sunday... just missed you Eric... and expected mud & water crossings, but everything is still burried. Had fun testing the new(to us) Jeep in the snow. We saw one other Jeep, actually one other 4WD period, Sunday. Guess everyone's sick of snow?

Tami
( & Ji... ssshhh, he thinks the TJ was for him)

Last edited:

EricsXJ

jitami said:
Ditto what Eric said... we've also been wheeling about 10 years and have never seen this much snow in the Loon Lake/Wentworth Springs area this late in the year. I would be suprised if people are doing the Rubicon Memorial Day wknd. We went up for some fun Sunday... just missed you Eric... and expected mud & water crossings, but everything is still burried. Had fun testing the new(to us) Jeep in the snow. We saw one other Jeep, actually one other 4WD period, Sunday. Guess everyone's sick of snow?

Tami
( & Ji... ssshhh, he thinks the TJ was for him)

Thanks for the report! I didn't go up there... those pics were taken by someone else, I found the link on Pirate in the Rubicon Forum. Thats the best place to get updates on Rubicon conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.