Shooting Areas in Washoe County Safe distance from residence requirements

Gizmatical Fuquad

Premium Member
I could swear the the NRS states 1000 yds from any residence, I can't find it with a quick search. Is that in the NRS or is it Washoe County?

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member
Refer to Washoe County Code, Chapter 50, Reno Municipal Code, Sparks Municipal Code:

It is unlawful to discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearm within any congested area of the county.
It is unlawful to discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearm in, on or across any county road or highway.
It is unlawful to discharge in the unincorporated area of the county, any gun, pistol, rifle or other firearm, with the exception of shotguns, air rifles or B-B guns, within 5,000 feet of any dwelling occupied by another person or persons.
It is unlawful to discharge in the unincorporated area of the county any shotgun, air rifle or B-B gun within 1,000 feet of any dwelling occupied by another person or persons.

Ranger

I could swear the the NRS states 1000 yds from any residence, I can't find it with a quick search. Is that in the NRS or is it Washoe County?
just get a .45 and a can, anyone asks any questions tell them you were doing some remodeling inside.... since a .45 with a can sounds like a quiet nail gun. lol

gunrunner1911

This is one of the few instances where the counties and cities still have control over firearms regulation. This sheriff has gone over board with the regs. He has since put red circles around every known house in our area to stop shooting. We still shoot as many people have safe shooting ranges on their own property. Be careful.

tinseltomb

Basically don't go shooting in Washoe County unless you are getting there with an ATV and you are far out in the absolute middle of nowhere. Anyplace a sheriff car or SUV can get to you they will find you and ticket you. I have an $800 attorney bill to prove it.

Gizmatical Fuquad

Premium Member
Basically don't go shooting in Washoe County unless you are getting there with an ATV and you are far out in the absolute middle of nowhere. Anyplace a sheriff car or SUV can get to you they will find you and ticket you. I have an $800 attorney bill to prove it.
Where in the hell do you go? I can go about a mile and a half from my house by bicycle, car, or whatever out here in Cold Springs and shoot to my hearts content with no issues.

motonickolas

I know a lot of people, including myself. That go up behind Spanish Springs high school or further up eagle canyon. If you need help locating some spots let me know! We could meet up and I'd be happy to show you.

DirtyChemist

Pretty sure the spot behind the high school always packed with trash is actually too close to legally shoot but I never go there so I don't check it on the map.

motonickolas

Right behind the school may be. But I know some side roads that split off Eagle Canyon further up. I'm pretty sure they are way past safe!

DirtyChemist

Right behind the school may be. But I know some side roads that split off Eagle Canyon further up. I'm pretty sure they are way past safe!
Hope so. I'm assuming you're talking about going further past the school, around the bend, then taking the left before you hit Indian land. Same place where people dump a bunch of stuff, ride motorcycles, and travel to the North Valleys instead of taking McCarran or goin through sun valley.

http://wcgisweb.washoecounty.us/CongestedAreas/

better map than the one on the sheriff's website.

motonickolas

Yaaa. You can go left or I believe if you go a little further there is a right you can take. A lot of people shoot over that direction as well.

hillrat

Keep in mind on forest service land (Peavine and Mt Rose etc) you cannot legally shoot from or across a forest service road. You also cannot shoot into or across an open body of water on forest service land. Damn near got a ticket for that. Glad the guy was nice about it. Anyone notice that radio towers are considered occupied places on the congested area map? No rifles or pistols on top of Peavine. Can't hunt rabbits with a 22 up there, eh? What a crock.

Lo0nyt0on

I just moved to stead from susanville...we're the he'll dose everybody shoot over here? I live by the jc pennies outlet in stead...... And I'm dying to take my shotgun out....

Nevadabackroader

I just moved to stead from susanville...we're the he'll dose everybody shoot over here? I live by the jc pennies outlet in stead...... And I'm dying to take my shotgun out....
There are tons of areas. Take stead blvd north, stay right onto mt vida, turn right on bravo ave it turns into albert way, turn left on ramsey way, turn right on lemmon drive, turn left on chickadee. Follow that into desert and stay to the left on the main dirt roads. Make sure you are out far enough out and that you clean up what ever trash you make leave it cleaner than you found it. Lots of other areas around too. Happy shooting.

Lo0nyt0on

There are tons of areas. Take stead blvd north, stay right onto mt vida, turn right on bravo ave it turns into albert way, turn left on ramsey way, turn right on lemmon drive, turn left on chickadee. Follow that into desert and stay to the left on the main dirt roads. Make sure you are out far enough out and that you clean up what ever trash you make leave it cleaner than you found it. Lots of other areas around too. Happy shooting.

Nice so I'm right over bye some good areas :) Now I just need to find people that I can go shooting with...I'm working on getting another rifle soon (somthing I can't get in California) besides my 30-30 Winchester..... Btw. Who can I go to to talk about. Smoothing my 30-30s action up? It was my dads.....now it's mine.....but I garentee it has 30+ years of grim inside...and idk were to begin on cleaning it..soo....might as well get a good cleaning and smooth the action up...any ideas?

Durtywrench

for some reason i cant go back pages on this thread. But i was just letting it be known that derby dam is closed for shooting.. im sorry if this is a repost just trying to saVE yoou guys a trip. i was told by highway patrol this morning when he was writing me my morning ticket :fantastic: