Shooting Areas in Washoe County Safe distance from residence requirements

Durtywrench

He said they are cracking down on that spot because its within 5000 feet of the highway.. i cant remember if its the cities or the counties or the state that its violating. i just know that he said if they catch you out there they will start enforcing the law. I use to go out there all the time and with out shooting time spent , its a 45 minute drive there and back from sparks .. this is not hear say from a guy at the gun store. this id from a highway patrol officer. So take it however you want. I just know it would ruin my day to drive out there for no reason , or get my guns taken , or even a ticket.

DirtyChemist

He said they are cracking down on that spot because its within 5000 feet of the highway.. i cant remember if its the cities or the counties or the state that its violating. i just know that he said if they catch you out there they will start enforcing the law. I use to go out there all the time and with out shooting time spent , its a 45 minute drive there and back from sparks .. this is not hear say from a guy at the gun store. this id from a highway patrol officer. So take it however you want. I just know it would ruin my day to drive out there for no reason , or get my guns taken , or even a ticket.

Passed this on to a friend I know who shoots out there often. Sorry to hear you found out the hard way.

gunrunner1911

I was under impression from the WCSO that Derby was under Washoe county and according to the google maps it is as far as I can tell. so it is left to state law NRS and Washoe County. Under premeption only the legislature can make gun law except with regard to discharge of firearms in cogested areas.
NRS 244.364 Limited authority to regulate firearms; restrictions concerning registration of certain firearms in county whose population is 700,000 or more.

1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.

2. A board of county commissioners may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.

3. If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 700,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:

(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.

(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:

(a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.

(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.

(Added to NRS by 1989, 652; A 2007, 1289; 2011, 1109)

Washoe County Code, Chapter 50, Reno Municipal Code, Sparks Municipal Code:
• It is unlawful to discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearm within any congested area of the county.
• It is unlawful to discharge any gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearm in, on or across any county road or highway.
• It is unlawful to discharge in the unincorporated area of the county, any gun, pistol, rifle or other firearm, with the exception of shotguns, air rifles or B-B guns, within 5,000 feet of any dwelling occupied by another person or persons.
• It is unlawful to discharge in the unincorporated area of the county any shotgun, air rifle or B-B gun within 1,000 feet of any dwelling occupied by another person or persons.

Refer to NRS 503.175, NAC 407.105, and United States Code of Federal Regulations Title 36, Chapter II, Part 261,
• It is unlawful to discharge a firearm from, upon, over or across any federal or state highway or any county road or highway.
• It is unlawful to discharge a firearm within a Nevada State Park, unless otherwise designated by the Administrator.
• Within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Forest Service, it is prohibited to discharge a firearm in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in a manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge, or into or within any cave.

Live Map: http://wcgisweb.washoecounty.us/CongestedAreas/
From the map it is hard to find the Derby exit but if it is #36 then I see no restrictions in place. #38 yes there are restrictionms
I see nothing about NEAR A ROAD or within XXX FROM ROAD OR HIGHWAY

211john

I'm not doubting you Durtywrench. I hope they put up some signs before they start handing out tickets. It appears to be legal according to the WCSO web site (I understand that this doesn't mean it is necessarily legal). They could hand out a lot of tickets before the public catches on.

There is no distance from a road or highway restriction listed here:
http://www.washoesheriff.com/sub.php?page=congested-areafirearms-discharge-maps

According to this interactive map, the area is okay:
http://wcgisweb.washoecounty.us/CongestedAreas/

Last edited:

Durtywrench

Passed this on to a friend I know who shoots out there often. Sorry to hear you found out the hard way.

JUst so im clear .. i didnt get busted out there shooting.. i got pulled over for expired tags :banghead:.. its just that i had guns in my car so i had to inform the officer so i dont go to jail ( i am of spanish decent so they always trying to catch me).. the officer was reaaly cool with me and was making small talk with me cause my truck wouldnt start after being pulled over :hitaxeonthehead:

Shitty.

My wife and I started to go to Derby Dam after the Vista spot was closed.

Damn - we were there just 3 days ago!! I sure am getting tired of Washoe County lately.

gunrunner1911

Sheriff Haley has tasked the office to find every house barn outhouse and chicken coup in the county to put a circle around. Just be happy you didn't expect to buy land and have a shooting range on it only to find out the distances required. He has tried to effectively shut down shooting in the county. We still regularly shoot on our property in Pal Val but it's just one complaint from being over. MA had 500' from dwellling not your own and 500' from a road. I lived on a lake so pretty well populated and short of the old No Sunday shooting law it was easier and closer to go.
I see an indoor range in the future for me.

ammowaster

JUst so im clear .. i didnt get busted out there shooting.. i got pulled over for expired tags :banghead:.. its just that i had guns in my car so i had to inform the officer so i dont go to jail ( i am of spanish decent so they always trying to catch me).. the officer was reaaly cool with me and was making small talk with me cause my truck wouldnt start after being pulled over :hitaxeonthehead:

Since when do you have to declare weapons?

Durtywrench

Since when do you have to declare weapons?
I like to watch Massad Ayoob . His thoughts are well thought out and I like to use his philosophies.. In one video he explains what to do if you have a ccw and are pulled over by a peace officer. I'm sorry if I don't word it right but you don't wanna start your conversation with a cop by saying you have a weapon. He might take it the wrong way and pretty soon be at gun point . Massad says to tell the officer that you have a ccw and that you do have a weapon and you should explain where it is. This will keep the officer on your side and not alarm him that he has a maniac ..... Today I did whati just explained plus told him about the other guns I had in my truck and also explained I was gonna take them out later to practice. I also told him that they were all unloaded . This might not be the best way but it worked for me today.

DirtyChemist

I like to watch Massad Ayoob . His thoughts are well thought out and I like to use his philosophies.. In one video he explains what to do if you have a ccw and are pulled over by a peace officer. I'm sorry if I don't word it right but you don't wanna start your conversation with a cop by saying you have a weapon. He might take it the wrong way and pretty soon be at gun point . Massad says to tell the officer that you have a ccw and that you do have a weapon and you should explain where it is. This will keep the officer on your side and not alarm him that he has a maniac ..... Today I did whati just explained plus told him about the other guns I had in my truck and also explained I was gonna take them out later to practice. I also told him that they were all unloaded . This might not be the best way but it worked for me today.

So you did t get a ticket for shooting you had expired tags and then you were told its not a legal spot anymore correct?

jeepzilla

i go to lockwood to shoot, take the road south out of lockwood to the last bridge before the gates on the paved road, either go right past the bridge into the canyon about a 1/2 mile there is a nice valley with good backstops, or go left just before the bridge and park, follow the creek bed in about a 1/4 mile off the roadway and there is a good place there as well. i spoke to a STOREY county sheriff before i went in and asked him where would be a good place to shoot and he told me those places were ok and i wouldnt be bothered but if there was traffic nearby wait till it was clear (basically use common sense)

Durtywrench

No just got pulled over for expired tags. Then he was asking about where I go shoot , and he told me not to out there and shoot cause their cracking down on that spot cause its so close to the highway .

seal13il

Reno4x4 Vendor
welll......NHP nor Washoe have no jurisdiction over BLM...so thats strange......I never got any notice of it being "off list" as in our CCW we have to list the "range" location......

trainwreck

Congested area must be posted per Washoe County Code 50.154

Starting on page 17 the areas deemed "congested" by the county are listed http://www.washoecounty.us/clerks/files/pdfs/county_code/Chapter050.pdf and the code incorporates the traditional rules on shooting near dwellings etc.

50.090 Definitions. As used in sections 50.090 to 50.158,
inclusive:
1. “Congested area” means that portion of the county so
determined pursuant to sections 50.094 to 50.154, inclusive,
where uncontrolled discharge of firearms would result in the
greatest risk of injury to life and limb.

I am not a map whiz but maybe someone on the forum can check out the link and determine whether Derby has been deemed "congested". I sure did not see a sign last time I was there.

pumpkin

It is not considered congested I stopped and talked to a highway patrol Sargent who was sitting on the derby dam overpass a asked him I'm it wasn't legal to shot there anymore he told me that I was still legal to shoot there and the he also uses it frequently to shoot there plus we were there for like 2 hours yesterday with 11 people and shooting full auto stuff. And not to mention there was like 15 other people out there shooting at the same time.