Shooting Areas in Washoe County Safe distance from residence requirements

Whips66

Thanks for all the info. I fear we are heading to a state in which you have to own private land or frequent a designated shooting range. I know they have all but zipped up southern Nevada. My Father and law works for Federal Parks at Lake Mead and started a program to draw up maps that will show where shooting is allowed in Clark County. Only issue down there is you can't off-road anywhere in the valley because the loons that moved in from other states and complained about dust. So BLM closed the trails all over the valley. First they start by closing the trails to motorized vehicles then they close the county for shooting (unless at a designated range). I think we should fight and keep Northern Nevada open for motorized vehicles and safe shooting.

Couple rules I live by
1. CLEAN UP YOUR TRASH...................hippies love to complain about all the garbage left behind by shooters. It's great fun to shoot up an old washer..........but one hippie on a Mt. bike complaing about your leftovers to all their friends is dangerous. A mob can change rule.
2. Don't shoot across Mt. Bike/hiking trails or even around them
3. Avoid areas where you know hikers, dirt bikes, and Mt. bike riders frequent.

Now that I am off my soap box I'm goanna go grab a breakfast sandwich. What I am trying to say here is the following. I love the freedom of this great State I was born in. I love shooting, off-roading, MX cross................and everything that makes this place fun. I want my son to share these experiences. The way we live should be the norm not the exception but I fear attitudes are shifting. I don't want to end up like Clark County.

Don't take this as a rant or someone looking for a fight...............just trying to give some perspective on the bigger picture that sadly was learned in Clark County. Sounds like our local Sherriff may need to be voted out of office.

litlmeck

With all the closure of shooting areas, i decided to email my local elected official, past experience has shown me that it barely does any good. I will keep doing it anyway.

If you are so inclined, find yours here > http://www.washoecounty.us/bcc

My recent email

What can you do to re-open the closed shooting areas in the county?

What are you doing to make sure we can practice our 2nd amendment freedoms with out restriction?

litlmeck

If I get a respond, I will post it up

DirtyChemist

With all the closure of shooting areas, i decided to email my local elected official, past experience has shown me that it barely does any good. I will keep doing it anyway.

If you are so inclined, find yours here > http://www.washoecounty.us/bcc

My recent email

It isn't just shooting area's they're closing. They are closing public lands. It doesn't matter if you shoot there, camp there, ride motorcycles or hike. Keep public lands open to the public. Look at what's going on at the Rubicon. Trails have been closed for YEARS and they're just now getting SOME reopened.

litlmeck

Thanks for asking about shooting in Washoe County. If you would like to talk about your request, I would be happy to meet with you. I have included Andrea in my office to help schedule an appointment. Thanks for asking Todd and I look forward to meeting with you?

Bonnie Weber
Vice Chairman
Washoe County Commission
District 5

I think she is trying to set me up on a date

litlmeck

Dear Mr. litlmeck:
Please contact me at your earliest convenience if you would like to schedule a meeting so that I can arrange a time for you to meet with Commissioner Weber. The County Commission number is 775-328-2005, and generally I can be reached during regular business hours.

Sincerely,

Andrea Tavener

Andrea Tavener
Community Relations
Washoe County Manager's Office

Now I never said to any one that I wanted a face to face meeting. I asked 2 simple questions and want 2 simple answers

ammowaster

Now I never said to any one that I wanted a face to face meeting. I asked 2 simple questions and want 2 simple answers

As much as we would like to think otherwise this issue can be pretty complicated. Not always something that can be answered with a quick email.

Maybe they aren't as informed as they should be and need more info from you

Bitosin

I thought I saw in another thread where the "Derby Dam shooting area" is partially too close to the hwy, and the rest is private property where the owner doesn't want shooting. Along those same lines, the whole area between Lockwood and VC is ALL private property except for Largomesino itself.

I am not one who goes out shooting all the time and have only read this thread for the first time. Don't hate on me for commenting!

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
I thought I saw in another thread where the "Derby Dam shooting area" is partially too close to the hwy, and the rest is private property where the owner doesn't want shooting. Along those same lines, the whole area between Lockwood and VC is ALL private property except for Largomesino itself.

I am not one who goes out shooting all the time and have only read this thread for the first time. Don't hate on me for commenting!

The area between Lockwood and vc isn't washoe county

Bitosin

My point being that many think this is all "Public Lands" which it is not. This is probably also the case in Derby area.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
Holy thread revival

want to go out shooting Sat and not to the regional facility. What areas are hot and not? Looks like Kiowa Pond is out of the congested area... or upper reaches of peavine...

EDIT: Kiowa Pond itself is marked prohibited. HUGE yellow area of restricted shooting on peavine... areas to legally shoor getting trimmed down more and more...

http://wcgisweb.washoecounty.us/CongestedAreas/

Last edited:

efstop22

And Sage Grouse are "Endangered" but NDOW still has a season!!!???......WTF..................

Sooo, you can hunt Grouse but you can't shoot them and you can stalk deer on Pevine but don't dare cap a round.......

I am so confused......

RenoRattler

Spanish springs area? Used to go to derby cause I didn't have 4x4. Now I have an F350 so I can get out a bit. Hungry valley? Golden eagle? Any areas still open?

DirtyChemist

Might as well go to the gun range. Shows people use it and its pretty much the only safe place to go. Spanish Springs is going to get shut down because people dump and I see it getting blamed on shooters not on off roaders for once. Either that or Carson range. At least the Washoe range is still open too. I've read that someone wants to sell it.

I think ink thee is a road past the range on the right hand side that has some shooting spots that look like a private bay.

DirtyChemist

It is not privately owned so cannot just be sold

I thought what I was reading was fishy. County range privately owned.

Either way I support people using the range often. More people involved in using the range means improvements. Nothing changes on its own. People not coming back hasnt worked to improve anything. Same complaints seem to come up often enough that people need to make the PUBLIC range a PUBLIC INTEREST. That being said, Stillwater Firearms will get a lifetime member out of me shortly. Even if I DO know at least two members already.

DirtyChemist

Fallon USPSA at Stillwater Firearms Sunday. Show up between 8:00am and 8:59am and sign up for some fun. I won't make it since I'm buying a house and trying to save as much as I can before going into escrow. I should be back at it in a few months pending living expenses aren't above what I've calculated. Unless I upgrade my reloading bench from a collapsible workbench.

ammowaster

Fallon USPSA at Stillwater Firearms Sunday. Show up between 8:00am and 8:59am and sign up for some fun. I won't make it since I'm buying a house and trying to save as much as I can before going into escrow. I should be back at it in a few months pending living expenses aren't above what I've calculated. Unless I upgrade my reloading bench from a collapsible workbench.

I think you meant to post in the shooting events thread