Skill, Mods, Brand what makes it clap?

What makes the difference in performance?

• Drivers Skill?

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • Modifications?

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • What brand vehicle?

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

rusty_tlc

What makes more difference in capability?
The skill of the driver?
How they have changed their rig, lockers gears etc.?
What kind of vehicle they drive?

Wer have all listened to the dabates since we were old enough to get a learns permit. Chevy vs. Ford vs. Mopar, Jeep vs Toyota, it dosen't matter if your talking street rods, rock crawlers, or Baja trucks every brand has their followers. But does the brand of vehicle really make that much difference?

In my opinion the biggest factor in performance is the drivers skill, hands down.

What do you think?

DBXJ

ive learned from when i used to race its the drivers skill that matters not som much of how the car is built or who made it because its on how the driver reacts to certen obsticals or corners and what not

PizzaJeep

i think you have the poll in order of decreasing value of whats most important... first definately is the driver (and spotter); then its the modifications.... the last place finisher is definately the brand of the vehicle... there are some vehicles that are easier to work on and better performers right out of the box, but the best you can make your vehicle isnt the difference between buying a ford versus a chevy... its how well its driven and how its built after that

kairo

Staff member
Driver skill. If I was a half way decent driver I'd still have a tie rod, spider gears, and a rear hatch

MR.ROCKAPE

drivers skill,equipment(tough parts that dont give up, even when its in a spot you shouldnt be)oh and it needs to have a chevy motor :angry:

throttleboy

definitly skill,being able to see a line and take your rig through it!! i've seen rockape take an open front diff jeep through stuff where locked rigs had problems....oh $hit, i heard his head grow 2 more sizes :D !! Richard for presedent :wink: !!

xjmoser

deadandcompany said:
Its all about how much alcohol you have consumed!!

:p

Well I guess Im alone. Its how a vehicle is built as much as driver skill

You can have the best driver skill in the world but its only gonna take you as far as the vehicle is built to go. :confused:

MR.ROCKAPE

xjmoser said:

You can have the best driver skill in the world but its only gonna take you as far as the vehicle is built to go. :confused:
I think a few drivers can take a vehcle to its limits and beyond.Its usually that the vehicle is capable but someone drives it into a place they are unsure about and starts hammering it through and not able to keep cool when the trail or spot demands it.Also its possible that I (like a few other people)do not use my rigs as daily drivers so I dont worry about breaking it or having to make the payment on something I just put a huge dent in because I was being a ROCK STAR in front of my homies.

Rambler

Definitely driver's skill. I grew up in a not so well to do family and we couldn't afford a 4x4, plain and simple. My dad would still take us out in the back country where many people would hesitate to drive. He never got stuck and we had a blast.

To put a turn on xjmoser's words, You can have the best built vehicle in the world, but its only gonna take you as far as your driving skill can go.

Connect

xjmoser said:

Agreed 100%

xjmoser

Rambler said:
To put a turn on xjmoser's words, You can have the best built vehicle in the world, but its only gonna take you as far as your driving skill can go.

Its how a vehicle is built as much as driver skill.

I think it goes hand in hand :wink:

rusty_tlc

xjmoser said:
Its how a vehicle is built as much as driver skill.

I think it goes hand in hand :wink:

Thats pretty much the debate I was having with myself when I posted this. Eventually I settled on skill being the most important thing. Heres my logic:

The right driver behind the wheel of a stock <insert your favorite here> can take it further than a novice could take a totally built rig. But the right driver in the built rig will do the seemingly impossiable.

In both cases it's skill that makes the difference.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Driver skill. Experienced driver will know the right lines to take, and will also learn the limitations of a given vehicle faster than someone who has no idea how to drive offroad.

Gizmatical Fuquad

Premium Member
Most definitely driver skill. I ain't saying I'm the best, but I do have many years of driving different rigs under all sorts of conditions. Case in point, we used to have a 2wd Exploder that my wife usually drove. Many times I got the panic call that she was stuck in the snow or the ice. I'd cruise on down to where she was stuck and generally just hop in, put it in gear, and drive off. She always get's pissed when I do that so I bought her a full-time Jeep and gave her some driving lessons, it's no longer an issue.

Bitosin

I agree with everybody else...driver (and spotter) skill is #1, but modifications comes a close second. The best driver around wouldn't get thru Bronco Canyon in a stock Kia. But a well skilled driver in a rig with medium mods would still probably out run a novice in a well built rig.

As for brand name, and/or model, I'm not gonna jump into that stew pot ! Everybody has their preference for one reason or the other.

Gizmatical Fuquad

Premium Member
As for brand name, and/or model, I'm not gonna jump into that stew pot ! Everybody has their preference for one reason or the other.

I'm partial to Jeeps, but I've had Chevies, Fords, and even a few VWs, I've never had a Dodge(although, technically speaking, my current Jeep is a Chrysler). It's just like beer, everyone has their own preference.

MotoMatt

the vehicle can make some difference. no matter how good you are your not driving your accord through the con. but...my boss has had very fast exotic cars. he brought his old porche to the fernley track and was out there with friends in lambos and ferraris. a guy pulls up in a hertz rent a car chrystler convertible and blows them all away. turns out he was an F1 driver who flew in for the weekend to race and rented his "race car"