slow down...

Zebaru

Every now and then, someone posts up about the cost of gas, or how much it costs them to get around, or whatever...

Well, I live in Fernley and work in Reno, which translates to about 80 miles a day. The rising price of gas started to annoy me somewhat as well, and I had even started considering doing things like adding acetone and so on. But, before I did any of that, I decided to just slow down a little bit and see what that would get me. It turns out my fuel economy increased about 15% in both my regular commuters:

99 kia 70-75mph - 35mpg, down to 65mph - 40+mpg (EPA highway estimate is only like 31 or something)

91 justy 70 mph - 38mpg, 60mph - 45mpg

My commute is about 80% freeway, 20% city, and I haven't really changed my in-town habits much, so maybe on a nice open run across the middle of the country or something, I could push either up another mpg or two...

Now I know that slowing down that much is not worth it to everyone, and the reality is that it only saves me like $3-$4 a week, but the end result is that my montly gas expenditure hasn't increased even with the rise in gas prices.

And you get used to everyone passing you after a while...

Travis

rusty_tlc

So you save, lets say $3.5/week, and you spend about 15 minutes/day to do it (added commute time).

That translates to $2.80/hr.

When I commuted to Carson I tried to stay in the slow lane. That way by the time I got home I was relaxed, had all the work stuff out of my mind, and was ready to enjoy. If I rushed I was more wound up by the time I got home than when I left work.

I think everybody should slow down and take it easy.

And keep the flock out of the fast lane, I'm coming through. :D

Connect

Well for $3.5 a week, I don't see a noticeable bonus/penalty for driving to fast or slow.

This kind of touches on the subject that if there are 4 gas stations at an intersection, we always go to the cheapest one even if its more work or a longer wait to save a few cents off a gallon. Is it really worth it? You probably lose that much change around the house every day.

rusty_tlc

Connect said:
Well for $3.5 a week, I don't see a noticeable bonus/penalty for driving to fast or slow.

This kind of touches on the subject that if there are 4 gas stations at an intersection, we always go to the cheapest one even if its more work or a longer wait to save a few cents off a gallon. Is it really worth it? You probably lose that much change around the house every day.
My truck has a 35 gallon tank, even if I save .05 a gallon that' only $1.75, assuming the tank is bone empty. I won't drive to far out of my way to save that kind of scratch. In fact at 9 mpg I can't afford to drive to far out of my way. :D

Zebaru

I totally admit that the savings don't amount to much, and I am generally irrational about these types of money spending choices, but there are other things to consider here.

If we all dropped fuel consumption by 15%, fuel prices would drop, saving us even further. And there is that whole foreign oil issue if you care about that sort of thing.

Generally speaking, accident rates drop with decreases in speed, and those accidents that do occur are less serious. If accident rates decrease, insurance premiums should decrease (health and auto), and so on...

Depending on the vehicle you drive, the engine, drivetrain, etc... will last longer if we drive slower and do things like decrease acceleration rates.

Certain types of road failures are exacerbated by excessive speed, and a decrease in typical driving speeds would likely result in decreased road maintenance budgets - which would lead to either decreased taxes or increased services in other areas.

There are a ton of other benefits, and the only real disbenefit is the time. I know I totally waste more than fifteen minutes a day anyway, so how valuable is my time really?

Of course, I sit over in the slow lane, so all you that like going fast won't be held up.

Travis

Connect

Yea but people will never one day be like, lets all drive slower and drop consumption by 15% It will probably go up rather then down in all reality.

Antother kind of pet peave is when people pass you and waste all that gas accelerating only to get half a second ahead of you just to be stopped by another slow driver, or stop light, some thing along those lines.