Super easy riding for kid new to dirt bikes

braindead0

Ignore the machine
She can ride a bicycle, and that's about it. 16 and short, so I'm looking for the flattest/easiest place for her to start out. I was thinking the staging area off Chickadee Dr, we can putt around there and she can 'stretch' her riding legs on the main road a bit when comfortable.

I was going to take her to the Hoge Road trailhead, I was just up there and the roads are pretty messy for a beginner.. Seems like this season everything has a good layer of loose dirt on top as well, many of my usual trails are a bit sloppier than last year.. guessing due to the lack of rain..

thanks for any suggestions...

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Watch out for SXSes out there, they like to rip around with no regard for anyone else. We go riding at Chickadee MX area, that's just north of the staging. There are good places with no big whoops where she can start out.

braindead0

Ignore the machine
Thanks, I think a lot will depend on when we go and how busy it is.. either way I intend to be very watchful.. I was hoping to avoid Hungry Valley entirely ;-)

Chickadee is good, if you drive out towards the antennae’s there’s a little moto track.
Agree with being careful for SxS’s. Just keep her close and off the big open areas, stay near some tracks and turns and park your car where near where she will be riding

braindead0

Ignore the machine
Thanks. I'm going to check out Chimney Drive area today: https://goo.gl/maps/ewPq6M7JLAkYMkDw8

From street view it looks fairly level, with a nice main road and a lot of options and perhaps less busy.

I expect we'll be in the parking area doing stop and go's for a while, I have a 'lesson plan' for new riders that has worked well.. she'll be bored to death in the beginning but it'll pay off when the inevitable 'oh shit' moment happens ;-)

braindead0

Ignore the machine
Roads were pretty messy out there. and I was so looking forward to sporting my redneck power ranger riding gear.. probably appropriate for sun valley
.redneck_power_ranger.JPG

While i was driving back I remembered this location, a bit out of town but that often means the roads aren't nearly as trashed: https://goo.gl/maps/zKcxskxpasq2v22RA

Last time was there the parking area was in good shape, rarely any traffic there..not the best riding but easy dirt roads are what I need for now.

braindead0

Ignore the machine
The area on the way to Pyramid was perfect. Not crowded at all (until we were leaving, right when asshat in side-by-side decided to show up and spin donuts in the parking area).

She did very well for a first time, went around in circles for quite a while... managed to shift into second and back down practiced starting/stopping... Started down the road heading NE out of the area,. was fine for the first 1/2 mile.. she had some near get-offs but managed to recover well.

Then the road started getting sandy, rutty and off-camber.. the nemesis of all 2 wheeled vehicles. She pushed through, but eventually some sandy stuff got her.

She admitted right off that she was getting cocky.. we loaded up and headed back, a day of riding and no injuries (beyond bumps/scrapes).. it's all good ;-)