Survival Myths... Debunked

ManNamedJed

Getting back to the myths and this being chukar season...

Does anyone carry rattle snake bite kits? I have a couple with little suction cups and blades. I am not so sure a person could suck all the venom out of a bite before the effects were felt.

I hear its better to leave the bite alone and keep it clean. 'Cutting and sucking' can cause way more damage than the bite itself.

rusty_tlc

Couple bones to pick:

Matches:
Bring a lighter AND matches. Store them seperately in double ziplocks. I keep my matches in a pill container with a strip of striker material. Matches are usually in my coat pocket, lighter in the pack. If you lose your pack falling into a river, how you gonna start a fire?

Boiling water:
Yes, bringing water to a boil will kill almost all of the bacteria. Sometimes, but not all the time, it won't though. If you're gonna boil it, do at least 5 minutes, 10 is actually required to ensure everything is dead. I boil for two minutes. Better yet, carry iodine tablets in a waterproof container in a ziplock. Put these in your coat pocket too.

Building shelter from dead materials:
Dead materials will actually conserve more heat and are typically easier to harvest (you don't have to have an axe to break a dead limb). You can stuff dead leaves / grass in your shirt or jacket and they will insulate much better than green leaves.

"ALL fur bearing mammals are safe to eat, and will provide you with nutrients and calories."
Properly cooked they are. Err on the side of overcooked. You don't want to get the bubonic plague from eating raw squirrel--yes, the plague still exists.

Bubonic plague is a very real threat at all times. However it isn't usually life threatening nowadays. AND you would be in more danger from a flea bite while handling the dead animal than from eating it. Fleas and ticks are the "Vector" for the plague. In other words they are how the plague gets from the reservoir species (rodents in this case) to you. Always avoid rodent borrows and any animals that seem sick.

89jeepcpl

The only episode I saw of Bear Grills was showing your how to float down a river on your back, if you had no life vest......

in the scene you could see the outline of a vest under his clothes.........................He's full shiz

Les is the man!:thumbsup:

ChickenLittle

It's a simple equation... if it walks, crawls, swims, or flies, the odds are in your favor that it's not only safe to eat, but that it will provide you with the nutrition and energy your body needs. If it sits there like... umm... like a plant, the odds are against you both for your own physical safety, and for nutritional content. It's just not worth the gamble unless you're absolutely sure!

I love it!

fj4play

Getting back to the myths and this being chukar season...

Does anyone carry rattle snake bite kits? I have a couple with little suction cups and blades. I am not so sure a person could suck all the venom out of a bite before the effects were felt.

with rattle snake bites i am not totally sure of the number but it his a very percentage of people who get bit were actually handling the snakes i think that percentage was like 90 or maybe even 95 percent,,,,, so don,t play with the snakes and keep a eye out you will probably not get bit

floor ya

with rattle snake bites i am not totally sure of the number but it his a very percentage of people who get bit were actually handling the snakes i think that percentage was like 90 or maybe even 95 percent,,,,, so don,t play with the snakes and keep a eye out you will probably not get bit

i know of only one unprovoked "attack" by a rattler.
on a dove hunt a couple years ago my cousin stepped of a rock in front of me and a little rattler struck him with no warning.it got his fang stuck in the bottom cuff of his pants and couldn't let go.my cousin was jumping and running around like a crazy person dragging the poor little guy around like a loose shoe lace. we were laughing so hard we couldn't help either one of them.i'm not sure who was more scared. the snake or my cousin.
i'm sure he struck out of surprise and fear. a mistake that cost him his life.

fj4play

i know of only one unprovoked "attack" by a rattler.
on a dove hunt a couple years ago my cousin stepped of a rock in front of me and a little rattler struck him with no warning.it got his fang stuck in the bottom cuff of his pants and couldn't let go.my cousin was jumping and running around like a crazy person dragging the poor little guy around like a loose shoe lace. we were laughing so hard we couldn't help either one of them.i'm not sure who was more scared. the snake or my cousin.
i'm sure he struck out of surprise and fear. a mistake that cost him his life.

lmao tears going down my face right know , thats funny

RARECJ8

most snake bites i've seen or read about involve alcohol and horse play-- like the guy in blackfoot, ID that was bit during a game of catch with a rattler. yes, beer involved. Many are bit as they believe the snake is dead and reach down to pick it up or cut off the tail buttons. To be sure, sever the head before you do any of that and bury or put the head in a fire pit. When i was in high school, some idiot was bit on the hand trying to get a baby rattle to drink from a can of beer.... fail!

DBJ

A friend of mine a decade ago was showing is kids the "proper" way to handle a snake..................Ya he left lahanton on care flight. No Booze just plain bad judgement. I have run into alot of snakes while in the field and just steer clear of them all together, Something isnt right with a critter that can move that fast and have NO legs.