SYE install

kairo

Staff member
I got the HD SYE in the mail today, and I was looking at the directions and I went and looked under my jeep, and realized I was in way over my head :woot2:

Anyways, the directions recommend that you remove the Transfer case from the jeep. Is that a good recommendation? I don't know how to do that either, so I would like to avoid any unnecessary trouble.

Basically if there's anything that I need to know, or any tips or tricks that would be helpful, please post them up!!

JOE THE TOE

6 BOLTS I THINK AT FRONT OF TRANSFERCASE WHERE IT MATES TO BACK OF TRANNY,VENT TUBE, VACUUM PLUG,SPEEDO CABLE,REAR SHAFT,LINKAGE,SKID PLATE,THEN IT'S OUT JUST SLIDE IT STRAIGHT BACK.IT ONLY WAYS ABOUT 50 OR 60LBS.PULL REAR & FRONT YOKES OFF,PULL 3 BOLT TAILSHAFT COVER OFF,SNAP RING,THEN PULL ALL BOLTS THAT CONNECT TWO HALFS TOGETHER,SLIDE BACK HALF OFF BEING CAREFUL NOT TO SCREW UP OIL PUMP TUBE & FILTER THEN PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO HOW EVERYTHING COMES OFF THE SHAFT.IF YOU HAVE TO TAKE PICTURES OR LABEL EACH PART IN ORDER.IT'S BEEN A WHILE BUT I THINK THATS EVERYTHING. :thumbsup: OH' YEAH THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT & DRAIN THE OIL!~ :D

Last edited:

EricsXJ

It would of course be easiest to install the SYE with the transfer case out of the vehicle, but I have heard of many people leaving it in. You have a good amount of lift so that helps. I think if you drove up on some 'secure' blocks for a few more inches so you could sit under the jeep, it wouldn't be very bad at all.

kairo

Staff member
hmmm, thanks guys. I think I'm going to do like eric said and raise the front and then attempt to do it with the t/c on the jeep.

EricsXJ

You probably need to raise the back too, since the SYE is installed on the back of the case - that is, if you want to sit under it.

xjmoser

kairo said:
hmmm, thanks guys. I think I'm going to do like eric said and raise the front and then attempt to do it with the t/c on the jeep.

I would let the air out of the tires on one side so it will lean to the side and you dont have to look up at it the whole time.

EricsXJ

Nick, I think Tom just forgot the wink smiley.

Regular ATF is fine and it can be Dexron III or ATF+3, +4 whatever. Because you just need to buy 2 quarts, I put down the extra coin for Mobil 1 synthetic. That transfer case gets super hot...

Scrub

Slip Yoke Eliminator, jeeps come stock with a slip yoke and when you get too much lift the angles are too much for the slip yoke and cause some nasty vibrations and will severly shorten the life of your Transfer case.

-Matt-

kairo

Staff member
lol, tom, you jerk! Don't be makin' this more difficult for me than it already is :D

Connect

I think I read somewhere that it was better to use a lightweight engine oil over atf because atf was too heavy and didn't lube all the parts correctly? Any truth?

Scrub

Engine oil doesent have any of the detergents that ATF has in it, since you dont change your T-Case Fluid that often you prolly want to have those cleaning agents in there