tacoma

renopride

So I'm relatively new to off-roading, I've been to hunter lake with friends and their modified 4x4s, but I've never had a vehicle that was off road capable before. I bought a 2003 tacoma TRD a year ago, and finally took it off roading. I don't know how difficult the trip is to hunter lake, but I was extremely impressed with my truck. the clearance, the traction and the power made it an almost effortless cruise up there. I had stock tires, and kept it in 4h the entire time, taking different loops and routes to get there. I did lose a mudflap on that nasty set of rocks on the trail that loops to the left, near hunter lake. fortunately, my truck's frame was protected by the mudflap, when it got pinched between the rock and the truck.
Bottom line, that trail was a fantastic variety of terrains for my tacoma, and I was extremely impressed with how well it managed, with a 4x4 novice behind the wheel.
lesson learned though, next time tell someone where you're going! if i had eviscerated my truck on those rocks, it'd be a fun hike back.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Good to hear that you enjoyed yourself and didn't have to hike out. There are trails in every direction from Reno that you can traverse in your Tacoma and get to vistas and destinations that most people never see. Hunter Lake is just the tip of the iceberg.

CSib

I too have a '02 Tacoma. Can't beat 'em eh??? is yours the TRD w/ V6? rear diff lock? if so I can tell you a trick or 2.

Last edited:

DirtyChemist

Tacoma > jeep every day of the week. I've taken my truck on stuff I didn't think it Wu,d hand,e that well and I've been surprised the more and more I try and push my truck.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
i have a locker in front-- i have to get out and twist the little round thing in middle of the tires to make it go. OTOH, give me one of these and i'll be quiet.

or

or if really lucky, this:

DirtyChemist

Cool. Join us sometime for a run thru Bronco Canyon or the Rubicon.
Ok. I'll meet you at soup bowl. I know the back way in there. :D. N it doesn't involve using a helicopter either. Just a different starting point that overlooks hellhole.

RARECJ8

Premium Member
Sorry DH, my mall cruiser is not set up for any of that. Its all good natured ribbing. Ford/chevy/jeep/toyota and auto/manual stuff. Endless reasons to believe in what you have is better than the other guy. And i'm the first to admit my junk is sub par and of limited utility.

Dirty Harry

Staff member
Sorry DH, my mall cruiser is not set up for any of that. Its all good natured ribbing. Ford/chevy/jeep/toyota and auto/manual stuff. Endless reasons to believe in what you have is better than the other guy. And i'm the first to admit my junk is sub par and of limited utility.
If you look close Mark you can see some Jeep parts on that truck (and some Ford parts, and some Chevy parts, and some Mitsubishi parts...)

RARECJ8

Premium Member
My 'jeep' has chevy and ford axles, hummer wheels, and other melting pot of parts. A rainbow of cross over upgrades.

CSib

That line of thinking is stupid, that's like me asking a stock Xj to follow a build Toyota through any trail.
Yours is built, his is bone stock
For sure, true that most Jeep wheel bases are a few inches shorter than the Tacoma, the single cab Tacoma is around 103" while most CJ's are 93" if I remember right. CJ-8 is also 103." But if you put thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours under just about any frame you can pretty much make it go where you want!

renopride

I too have a '02 Tacoma. Can't beat 'em eh??? is yours the TRD w/ V6? rear diff lock? if so I can tell you a trick or 2.
yessir, that's what i have. i understand the concept of a rear locker (i think), but i have yet to be in a situation where i needed it. school me!

CSib

yessir, that's what i have. i understand the concept of a rear locker (i think), but i have yet to be in a situation where i needed it. school me!
also, if you dont have a lift and are thinking of getting one, the 3" coil spacer kits w/rear shackles you will find for around $150 will actually give you more frame ground clearance than the 5" kits with the front diff drop brackets for $1.000+. of course you can stack (not advised with a kit without new strut towers) and get 8". I personally have the 3" front coil spacers with a few extra washer spacers on top of that, 2.5" rear shackles, run 33's, disconnected the sway bars, long travel shocks and go almost anywhere I want. And before any of you Jeep lovers say anything, no I have not done the Rubicon, it's still a nice truck!

Last edited:

maxamillion2345

Welcome from another Taco. If you need anything done, let me know, I'm pretty familiar with these trucks. We also have a vendor here who makes some grade A armor for these things. Bumpers, sliders, etc...