tacoma

DirtyChemist

also, if you dont have a lift and are thinking of getting one, the 3" coil spacer kits w/rear shackles you will find for around $150 will actually give you more frame ground clearance than the 5" kits with the front diff drop brackets for $1.000+. of course you can stack (not advised with a kit without new strut towers) and get 8". I personally have the 3" front coil spacers with a few extra washer spacers on top of that, 2.5" rear shackles, run 33's, disconnected the sway bars, long travel shocks and go almost anywhere I want. And before any of you Jeep lovers say anything, no I have not done the Rubicon, it's still a nice truck!
Is this the toytec lift?

RelentlessTaco

Reno4x4 Vendor
Welcome, glad you enjoyed the trip up HLT.
You should really look into some rock sliders before you smash in the doors on rocks, and some skids to keep the vitals under the truck safe from the rocks as well. :cool:

renopride

Welcome, glad you enjoyed the trip up HLT.
You should really look into some rock sliders before you smash in the doors on rocks, and some skids to keep the vitals under the truck safe from the rocks as well. :cool:
I have all the stock skid plates over the differential, the front axle, etc. do you think aftermarket skids are better? who to make sliders? I don't off road that much, I'd like some equipment though. I was thinking about a grill, but i hear that they all mess up airbag deployments, except for the $900 arb bumper?

maxamillion2345

I'd suggest ya head over to Tacomaworld if you're really interested.

Eric makes sliders specifically for the Tacomas.

Those are a pretty good thing to have even for light to moderate wheeling. If you get into it you'll figure that out quick though.

A grill or a bumper? I believe that the 1st gens are similar to the 2nd in that the air bag sensor is inertia based and not an impact one. So no matter what bumper you choose it will work fine. Just not all have been tested, but that's the logic behind it anyway.

I think you'll be okay with stock skids for trails like HLT but hell I bashed my 3/16 IFS plate pretty hard there one time. LOL

Dirty Harry

Staff member
I have Budbuilt skidplates on my 4Runner and have been very pleased with them. They are best known for their crossmembers but make skids for Tacomas as well.

For sliders there are a lot of options but shipping often kills the deal, I think your best bet would be to contact one of the fabricators on here for a set built specifically for your truck.

RelentlessTaco

Reno4x4 Vendor
I have all the stock skid plates over the differential, the front axle, etc. do you think aftermarket skids are better? who to make sliders? I don't off road that much, I'd like some equipment though. I was thinking about a grill, but i hear that they all mess up airbag deployments, except for the $900 arb bumper?
Yeah if you actually hit a rock on one of the stock skids, you'll see how thin it is. Look for some beefy 3/16" to 1/4" thick skids. I'll be making some pretty soon. ;)
As for sliders, they're a great investment! Protect the rockers/doors offroad, and also help fend off carelessly swung car doors and shopping carts at the mall. I make sliders as well, could probably hook you up with a bit of a deal on a set of returned sliders coming back to my shop in the next week or two(nothing wrong with them, just sent the wrong set to a customer in Hawaii on accident).
An aftermarket should not affect air bag depoloyment, they're inertia sensors like max said. You can find them under the hood on the inner fenderwell under the battery on the driver side, and under the air intake on the passenger side.

renopride

Yeah if you actually hit a rock on one of the stock skids, you'll see how thin it is. Look for some beefy 3/16" to 1/4" thick skids. I'll be making some pretty soon. ;)
As for sliders, they're a great investment! Protect the rockers/doors offroad, and also help fend off carelessly swung car doors and shopping carts at the mall. I make sliders as well, could probably hook you up with a bit of a deal on a set of returned sliders coming back to my shop in the next week or two(nothing wrong with them, just sent the wrong set to a customer in Hawaii on accident).
An aftermarket should not affect air bag depoloyment, they're inertia sensors like max said. You can find them under the hood on the inner fenderwell under the battery on the driver side, and under the air intake on the passenger side.
Yeah I'd love to know how much you'd charge with installation and all that, for the sliders, probably a rear bumper and front bumper or grill if that's what you do. I drive an 03 xtracab.

DirtyChemist

Yeah I'd love to know how much you'd charge with installation and all that, for the sliders, probably a rear bumper and front bumper or grill if that's what you do. I drive an 03 xtracab.
Hs rear bumper is nice looking. I believe it's around $600 and he can add probably anything you want for more.
i believe most front bumpers start around $900.

RelentlessTaco

Reno4x4 Vendor
Sliders I can do $300+$75 for the install(weld on). The rear bumpers I make start at $600, and the fronts run at $750+ depending on the options you choose. I could probably work a bit of a deal if you wanted all 3 items for you rig; Maybe free install on it all or something.

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member
So I'm relatively new to off-roading, I've been to hunter lake with friends and their modified 4x4s, but I've never had a vehicle that was off road capable before. I bought a 2003 tacoma TRD a year ago, and finally took it off roading. I don't know how difficult the trip is to hunter lake, but I was extremely impressed with my truck. the clearance, the traction and the power made it an almost effortless cruise up there. I had stock tires, and kept it in 4h the entire time, taking different loops and routes to get there. I did lose a mudflap on that nasty set of rocks on the trail that loops to the left, near hunter lake. fortunately, my truck's frame was protected by the mudflap, when it got pinched between the rock and the truck.
Bottom line, that trail was a fantastic variety of terrains for my tacoma, and I was extremely impressed with how well it managed, with a 4x4 novice behind the wheel.
lesson learned though, next time tell someone where you're going! if i had eviscerated my truck on those rocks, it'd be a fun hike back.
Did you mean you kept it in 4-Lo or 4-Hi the entire way up?