The Funny PC pics part 010101010

MrWillys

My first computer was an Everex 286, 16 mhz, and can't remember much else (10 years before cell phones for everyone). It was when Windows 3.0 was coming out. A few years later I was standing in line at midnight to buy Windows 95. Now, I've got a netbook, and I-Pad on my headboard.
Napster, and the cardboard tower. Thanks for the flashback!

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member
Were you setting up Server 2000 or NT? The reason I ask is because all the equipment looks legacy. The Dell 4U rack mount was from the late 90's or early 2000's.

PhantomRage

Were you setting up Server 2000 or NT? The reason I ask is because all the equipment looks legacy. The Dell 4U rack mount was from the late 90's or early 2000's.
Nortel DMS 500, is what the phone office run off, plus all the back bone DS512 and other internet stuff, from central office runs on gear like this.

It has it's own OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Multiplex_System
"The DMS, with its introduction of digital technology, changed the industry and became one of the antecedents that encouraged the growth of the Internet."

We had a 1meg modem service when you guys still played with 9600 baud.

Reno Computer Repair

renocomputerrepair.com
Staff member
We had a 1meg modem service when you guys still played with 9600 baud.
I am lost here Jason. You would have been around 15 years old at the time we were using 9600 Baud, in 1993. In 1995, we were using 28.8, 1996 ISDN 128k, then in 1997 we finally got DSL with a 1MB down. When exactly were you working in Telecom?

PapasXJ

My first modem was 1200 baud that cost $350 and die 6 months later. Tech support said it would be cheaper to buy a new one than fix it.
At the same time I bought my first hard drive: 30MB for another $350. It took 7 1/2 hrs to format. Oh how times have changed.

69cj5

Our first "high end CADD machine" was a 386-20. It had 7 MB of RAM with a 150MB hard drive. It came with a 17" screen as well as a 12" monochrome screen. We paid, $28,000 for it...

We turned around the next year and bought 2 386-25's with 9MB of RAM with a single 17" screen. We paid $17,000 each for them. We bought 2 because it was such a screaming deal.

A few years later, we purhased our first 486-25. At this time we decided to splurge and set up each CAD machine with a minimum of 10MB of RAM because we thought we could actually tell a difference running such an extreme amount of RAM. They also had something like a 300MB hard drive. This was simpy huge!!!

I truly thought that we were set for a very long time when these showed up because these computers were incredibly fast. These computers were so blazingly fast that when you did a directory in MSDOS, you could not read the files as they scrolled down the screen. How much faster could they really get?!

These were also our first computers where we actually connected them via a 50' long Serial cable to "network". We had one cable...but this allowed us to actually trade files between computers. Now this was an incredible time saver and simply amazing, but tripping over the cable in the hallway continuosly was a real PIA.

Today these "incredibly fast" computers are WELL below the minimums just to run the operating system. Unbelievable...

PhantomRage

I am lost here Jason. You would have been around 15 years old at the time we were using 9600 Baud, in 1993. In 1995, we were using 28.8, 1996 ISDN 128k, then in 1997 we finally got DSL with a 1MB down. When exactly were you working in Telecom?
Correct, My dad also worked for Nortel, at the time it was called Northern Telecom and at our house we had a 1meg per second modem service. It was in testing and some employees got to be beta testers. They were going to roll out, but for reason that I was not aware of, got canceled. I went to work for that same company when I was 16 as a part time summer job, then when I was 18 full time.

I may have been off of the 9600... I forget exact dates when what baud was around... I do remember my first BBS running on a C64 and one 1541 disk drive tho.. The 1670, 1200 baud modem, was fast for that BBS..

Last edited:

Ranger

Correct, My dad also worked for Nortel, at the time it was called Northern Telecom and at our house we had a 1meg per second modem service. It was in testing and some employees got to be beta testers. They were going to roll out, but for reason that I was not aware of, got canceled. I went to work for that same company when I was 16 as a part time summer job, then when I was 18 full time.

I may have been off of the 9600... I forget exact dates when what baud was around... I do remember my first BBS running on a C64 and one 1541 disk drive tho.. The 1670, 1200 baud modem, was fast for that BBS..
Noob.

Don't make me break out the acoustic modem.