Thinking about a hitch-cradle winch

kairo

Staff member
I can count one one hand the amount of times I've bumped my front end into stuff that the aftermarket bumper has saved some body damage. I've drug my ass end over enough stuff that a rear bumper has generally made pretty good sense.

On the other hand, I can also count on 1 finger the amount of times I've actually needed a winch to pull myself or someone else out (same trip)

NEVERTHELESS. I would like another winch, and I'm kinda keen on the idea of being able to move it from a front receiver to the rear. If I'm going to buy an aftermarket front bumper, I might as well get the winch mounts, but then I can't move the winch to the rear if needed and use the factory receiver.

Pros: Winch, portable

Cons: Not as cool looking front from a photography perspective, also winch and mount are heavy and bulky.

Any thoughts?

I was also going to plumb OBA, but since I have the E-locker, I just bought one of the Viair 400p portables. It's fast enough filling 35's that it'll fill my 31's with 0 problem.

DaGimp

Dont forget the cost of wiring to the rear. You'll need some hefty cables and connection points..

I've considered it many times

kairo

Staff member
Dont forget the cost of wiring to the rear. You'll need some hefty cables and connection points..

I've considered it many times
Fair point. I'd hope that buying the cables and connectors from a local distributor of electrical nonsense would save me a few bucks. We have a couple pretty good wholesale/resale industrial electric companies here in town.

Buying from Grainger or Fastenall would probably make the pricing rediculous.

wrund

Big advantage for a rear winch is that you winch yourself OUT of trouble, versus into it. We have used a winch maybe 18 times in the last 12 years. Probably 80% of that was winching away from trouble, not winching people up and over obstacles. A rear winch is far more useful than a front mounted winch, so having the option to move it would be a benefit.

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
That's my plan for the Tundra, adding a hitch mount to the front bumper when I build it and then making a mount in the bed to store the winch when not in use.

willys dave

I guess you'd put the winch on one of the bumpers before you go wheeling because the thought of having to install it while stuck on rocks doesn't sound very inviting. Hopefully you'll put in on the right bumper.

Menard_LaPue

Agree on the 2/0 welding cable. That is what I use. Rather than permanent wiring, I attach the cables only when I need the winch, using marine terminals on the battery and similar screw-on connectors on the winch. I have to pop the hood and hang the wire over the side mirror, which seems un-elegant, but it is a rare operation. Much shorter cable this way rather than routing through the underside, and length is everything due to the current load in the "worst case": dragging uphill. Definitely a snatch-block operation, again, because of the load vs cable length and the heat generated in the wires.

I like Dennis’s idea because you will always have it when needed. I struggled with the same decision for my FJ and now my 4runner. For the FJ, I ended up going with a lighter weight metal bumper (as good as I could find, was about 70 pounds compared to 100 or more) and synthetic winch line permanently installed. This way it was always present for an unexpected off road adventure or it’s there when you need it to help when you least expect it. You don’t have to store it in the garage when not in use (my space is limited). Also, your approach angle Might be slightly affected with the winch mount, not sure.

For my 4runner, I will go with a bud built hidden winch mount. Adds about 30 pounds of steel, plus the 80 pounds for the winch, but retains stocks bumper so I don’t have to touch up the paint. I considered a winch tray and front hitch, but decided to mount it to the car for the above reasons, and also cuz I don’t want that big ugly, heavy tray and winch clogging up my garage.

BTW, I’ve never used any of my recovery gear on myself (other than a hi-lift once), but I love having it. I’ve used snatch blocks, glass breakers, seatbelt cutters, hi lift jack many times, and ALL of my other straps, d rings and accessories recovering other people’s vehicles. I stopped going up
Peavine on weekends because I never got home in time...

Menard_LaPue

This might give new meaning to OSK. I suggest a cheater bar, plus wheaties. With a snatch block you might even lift twice that amount...

Brizzman

Premium Member
How often do you guys that have a rear winch mount end up using it? I only have a front mounted winch and any time I've needed a pull back I've been lucky enough (or had the foresight) to have someone with a winch behind me.