Thomas Creek Trailhead

lik2hvfun

Premium Member
Yesterday, four of us ventured to the Thomas Creek Trailhead to do a hike up into the Mt. Rose Wilderness. It’s the first time this year we’ve done this hike. To get to the trailhead, you turn up Timberline Road off of Mt. Rose Highway, follow it past the pavement, cross a small bridge over Thomas Creek. The first trailhead starts hear. There is another one further in and to get to it you turn left after crossing the bridge and continue on the dirt road towards Thomas Meadows which is private land. As you get to the end of the dirt road at Thomas Meadows, there’s a small road that dips to the left. In years past you could follow this road across Thomas Creek and continue to where it meets the second trailhead. Well, the road is now blocked by three large boulders where it intersects the main dirt road. Anyone hear about this road closure?
Thomas Creek.jpg

DJRENO

I didn't "hear" about it, but I ran into it about 2 months ago. I don't know the reason, but can speculate that the road got washed out by the creek at the bottom. Whatever the reason, it's too bad, that second trail head was a nice place to start a hike.

lik2hvfun

Premium Member
We hiked using the trail next to the closed road and didn't see any areas that were impassable. There was a "run off rut" down a small section of the road that eventually ran off to the side, but again it wasn't anything a stock jeep couldn't manage. One of friends who hiked with us is contacting the Forest Service for an explanation. If he receives one, I'll post it.

lik2hvfun

Premium Member
I talked with the person last night who contacted the Forest Service about this closure. The road is temporarily closed due to and issue with the first downhill section as you leave the main road. The USFS has scheduled repairs and intends to open the road again in 2018. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I hope they do.

lik2hvfun

Premium Member
I drove to the road yesterday, Oct. 31, 2018. It's still blocked off. The gate on the main road to get to it is locked starting today, Nov. 1. Way to go USFS. So much for your "scheduled repairs in 2018".

lik2hvfun

Premium Member
The road into the trailhead has been repaired and is open. We went to check it out for grins and giggles on our way home from White's Creek and were pleasantly surprised to find it open now. We're going back to take it to the trailhead to see what else the Forest Service might haver done to improve it.road.jpg

CashMoney

I piss excellence.
How far does it go now? I was up there many years ago and it didn't really go much further if I remember right.

Edit: Nevermind, I read the top post where it states its a hiking trail. That makes sense.

lik2hvfun

Premium Member
The road doesn't go back in very far, nor is it very challenging. We live off of Mt. Rose HWY, so the trailhead at the end of the road was one of our favorite places to hike. The road and trail circumvent private property. As the road ends at a gate, the trail then heads up into the Mt. Rose Wilderness. We're glad to see it re-opened since it saves a bit of a walk to get back to the main trailhead.

For another interesting trail in the area, try forest service road 41034, just to the north of Thomas Creek. It goes pretty far back into the dry creek north of Thomas Creek. There is a dry pond back there and some decent campsites. The trail is a little rough but not bad, narrow in places and lots of overgrown branches.

temp.jpg

lik2hvfun

Premium Member
Thanks for the tip on 41034. If it's the road that continues on past the lower trail head main parking lot, I've driven it a little ways in but not all the way to the end. That's something I'll do this summer. Once I get my CJ7 going again from sitting all winter.

Last edited:

kairo

Staff member
That is cool never been up there!
I hike up there quite a bit. I've found that particular road more enjoyable to walk than drive. At the top, you can wander the ridgeline and see all of Reno. Farthest north I've walked it was to come down off of holcomb ranch road.

Once you get to the top take the first left, and there's a "dry" pond. It had water in it pretty much all of last summer, but there's definitely years when it's bone dry. If you bushwhack to the south, there's an old cabin maybe a mile back and another small pond. I found it once by accident and haven't been back that direction since.

I think it's technically a day use area. I've leave no trace camped up there a couple times, and never had an issue. Though when I used to go up there, it was rare to see another car in the parking lot. That whole Thomas Creek area is overrun with yuppies now on any decent day.

Here's some photos from May of 2019 of the area.

That area used to be my "secret" spot. It wasn't real well known how to get there, or what was up there. I'd hang out up there and never see another person. Last few trips, I've seen legit groups of hikers. Shame.

zadar

Last few trips, I've seen legit groups of hikers. Shame.
I am not sure why this is but I have seen few posts here like this. What is problem with other people doing same thing we doing.
What is shame is houses popping way up in hills, not people enjoying outdoors.

kairo

Staff member
I am not sure why this is but I have seen few posts here like this. What is problem with other people doing same thing we doing.
What is shame is houses popping way up in hills, not people enjoying outdoors.
Nothing wrong with it. It's just that a lot of us who have lived here for a long time are used to having areas mostly to ourselves.

lik2hvfun

Premium Member
Thanks for the pictures kairo. We find that hiking is a lot less crowded during the week than on weekends (being retired helps immensely). BTW, we came across a cabin off of the upper part of White's Creek Trail when doing the Jone's Creek Loop from Galina. It was a surprise seeing it in the wilderness area.

Sierra Valley

Thanks for the pictures kairo. We find that hiking is a lot less crowded during the week than on weekends (being retired helps immensely). BTW, we came across a cabin off of the upper part of White's Creek Trail when doing the Jone's Creek Loop from Galina. It was a surprise seeing it in the wilderness area.
Never seen the cabin that is pretty cool.