Thomas Creek Trailhead

lik2hvfun

Premium Member
Yesterday, four of us ventured to the Thomas Creek Trailhead to do a hike up into the Mt. Rose Wilderness. It’s the first time this year we’ve done this hike. To get to the trailhead, you turn up Timberline Road off of Mt. Rose Highway, follow it past the pavement, cross a small bridge over Thomas Creek. The first trailhead starts hear. There is another one further in and to get to it you turn left after crossing the bridge and continue on the dirt road towards Thomas Meadows which is private land. As you get to the end of the dirt road at Thomas Meadows, there’s a small road that dips to the left. In years past you could follow this road across Thomas Creek and continue to where it meets the second trailhead. Well, the road is now blocked by three large boulders where it intersects the main dirt road. Anyone hear about this road closure?
Thomas Creek.jpg

DJRENO

I didn't "hear" about it, but I ran into it about 2 months ago. I don't know the reason, but can speculate that the road got washed out by the creek at the bottom. Whatever the reason, it's too bad, that second trail head was a nice place to start a hike.

lik2hvfun

Premium Member
We hiked using the trail next to the closed road and didn't see any areas that were impassable. There was a "run off rut" down a small section of the road that eventually ran off to the side, but again it wasn't anything a stock jeep couldn't manage. One of friends who hiked with us is contacting the Forest Service for an explanation. If he receives one, I'll post it.

lik2hvfun

Premium Member
I talked with the person last night who contacted the Forest Service about this closure. The road is temporarily closed due to and issue with the first downhill section as you leave the main road. The USFS has scheduled repairs and intends to open the road again in 2018. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I hope they do.

lik2hvfun

Premium Member
I drove to the road yesterday, Oct. 31, 2018. It's still blocked off. The gate on the main road to get to it is locked starting today, Nov. 1. Way to go USFS. So much for your "scheduled repairs in 2018".